[MAP] CNC-Snow

Henk

Hi,

This is a remake of one of the many custom/fan made maps from original Renegade, C&C-Snow, I remember playing a custom map server about 8 years ago and I particularly liked this one, that's why I decided to make a remake. I'm also very curious how it plays in Renegade-X. Keep in mind that there's only 1 silo per team so credit gain will be really slow, I hope there'll be a way to increase the silo credit amount on the mapping side in the future. But I do think that the fact that it's a very small and close quarters map will compensate for the slow credit gain.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfyxcfs0zhckvzn/CNC-Snow%20v1.2.zip?dl=0

Some final pictures:

Overview:

FMcKxPG.jpg

Nod:

PpE8zmp.jpg

GDI:

z8TyjdV.jpg

Imgur album with more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/GJsse

Backstory:

"During operation Scorpion Hunters, GDI found intel on another secret Nod base, located in the Caucasus mountains, it is believed to be the hideout of one of the highest ranking Nod Officers.

A small force has been dispatched in the area to set up a forward operating base, in order to eliminate any Nod activity in the area."

(That Nod Officer even has a place in the map somewhere/sometime ;) )

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Guest

The reasons i've made it dark are because there's already 2 snow maps at daytime, and I wanted to do something different and give a different feel to it than those maps have.

And because with a dark map you can do some cool stuff with lighting, and with the white snow even more so. By this I mean you get lots of control of the lighting (colors and where you want it to brighter or darker) on the map because there's not a sun lighting everything, but you need to place lamps instead.

It looks a bit dark, but it's still light enough to see everyone, especially in the high action area's. It's mostly the sky and the huge rocks in the background that look really dark.

So, it's a night map, but it's not that dark, because there's lots of lights, and white snow.

Here's another pic by the way I didn't include in the first post: http://i.imgur.com/IfgvbZj.jpg

I expect new polar skins for the characters Henk, good work :D!

That would be awesome. Or imagine having a dropdown selection in the world info where you can choose themese like Desert, forest/field, or snow, and it would then swap out the character-, building- and vehicle materials

I expect new polar skins for the characters Henk, good work :D!

That would be awesome. Or imagine having a dropdown selection in the world info where you can choose themese like Desert, forest/field, or snow, and it would then swap out the character-, building- and vehicle materials

Would be cool, but much, much work...

Hi,

This is a remake of one of the many custom/fan made maps from original Renegade, C&C-Snow, I remember playing a custom map server about 8 years ago and I particularly liked this one, that's why I decided to make a remake. I'm also very curious how it plays in Renegade-X. Keep in mind that there's only 1 silo per team so credit gain will be really slow, I hope there'll be a way to increase the silo credit amount on the mapping side in the future. But I do think that the fact that it's a very small and close quarters map will compensate for the slow credit gain.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy0nmf6ffbktbds/CNC-Snow%20v1.0.1.zip?dl=0

Some final pictures:

Overview:

FMcKxPG.jpg

Nod:

PpE8zmp.jpg

GDI:

z8TyjdV.jpg

Imgur album with more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/GJsse

Backstory:

"During operation Scorpion Hunters, GDI found intel on another secret Nod base, located in the Caucasus mountains, it is believed to be the hideout of one of the highest ranking Nod Officers.

A small force has been dispatched in the area to set up a forward operating base, in order to eliminate any Nod activity in the area."

(That Nod Officer even has a place in the map somewhere/sometime ;) )

Enjoy! :D

Looks Great, Great Job, and its great that you kept to the basics, no flying and no 2 extra silos

• 3 weeks later...
Er.... Ruud

Mutator != Script

I know.

I have just been testing a bit, and looking at the Silo script file, and I thought to myself, I don't even need to write a mutator, because we don't need to replicate this stuff to the client. Creditgain is always determined server side, so, we can use modify property.

I've used this setup in kismet; setup my own server (to verify that it works online) and it works! no need to write a mutator.

9vuhG40.png

And we set the creditsgain in the modify property node, you can determine the amount of credits per second in the value. I've set 50 for testing purposes.

6K4EFcz.png

Got Version 1.1 ready for whenever you need it Yosh.

- silo gives 2 credits per second

- fixed vehicle collision on some rocks

- added materials to 2 rocks that didn't have materials.

- removed scale model Mammoth MKII, because the material uv's didn't do what they were supposed to do (same as vehicles in back of GDI base on Mesa)

- Re-added blocking volume by the GDI containers.

- A bunch of culling

• 3 months later...
Wow, currently im downloading Renegade x for the first time.

I love snow maps! Please make more :D

Than you also like Whiteout and Under Commander. Hope you have fun in Renegade-X and feel free to ask questions in a seperate topic. Welcome aboard!

• 2 weeks later...

Tested some stuff on the map server. The link says it's the 1.2 version, but not sure if you fixed any of this stuff already.

Stuck where I'm standing

Where cross hair is pointing you can jump on rocks and walk around some

Can walk inside of this rock just a little

This rock is a little weird. Get stuck sometimes sort of

Those are links if it isn't obvious. Hopefully these screenshots show enough of where they are at. Also gonna pm you something.

The link hasn't been updated yet, still the same version as the one on the server.

Thanks for finding these. Had already changed the rock you could get stuck on after the testing session, and have fixed the problems you've shown me now.

Also fixed the thing you pm'd me, don't know why the blocking volume on top of there was so low.. Edit: apparently a blocking volume didn't do the trick, used an invisible mesh, no more problems.

Now does anyone know what exactly changed about the silo's since beta 5? In order to make it give more credits there was something I needed to change. It was mentioned on teamspeak but I couldn't follow, there was a lot going on at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
The link hasn't been updated yet, still the same version as the one on the server.

Thanks for finding these. Had already changed the rock you could get stuck on after the testing session, and have fixed the problems you've shown me now.

Also fixed the thing you pm'd me, don't know why the blocking volume on top of there was so low.. Edit: apparently a blocking volume didn't do the trick, used an invisible mesh, no more problems.

Now does anyone know what exactly changed about the silo's since beta 5? In order to make it give more credits there was something I needed to change. It was mentioned on teamspeak but I couldn't follow, there was a lot going on at the same time.

There are a few people to ask, but I know HappyConscript made maps using it. It is definitely possible, just like harvester dump amount is. I can't find documentation myself right this moment however...

There are a few people to ask, but I know HappyConscript made maps using it. It is definitely possible, just like harvester dump amount is. I can't find documentation myself right this moment however...

There is no documentation on this. You could've find out yourself in the code as you also know the code ;) I've already posted an example on how to do it in kismet, it's probably that some code got changed and therefore the kismet can't reach the proper variable anymore and therefore that it is not working anymore.

So what you really wanted to do is open up the .uc files leading to the silo and scan / make an analysis of the code until you find the variable responsible for giving you an X amount of credits per second.

I've done this and didn't seem to find anything odd. No code has changed here.

So I've opened up your map Henk, and looked at your kismet.

8Uw2Ry0.png

This is what you have. I think here's the problem. I've only successfully tested it with a single actor attached to the target.

If I am correct, you should also just get away with 1 silo attached to the target, Because both silo's use an internal class (the same internal class) and you change the value in there temporarily.

Point is, do not try to attach 2 actors to the target here. I think that confuses the game.

Try using this setup:

nr. 1:

Uw72w0k.png

or using this setup:

nr. 2:

P4tBI7i.png

Just not the one you have right now.

If setup nr. 1 works (for both silos) I'd stick with that. If it fails, I'd stick to nr. 2.

It works now with setup nr.2

I did check out the code with Diffchecker.com, I still have the previous SDK version, but the only thing changed was that the building captured sounds were added.

New version is done now:

- fixed all problems that were posted.

- You can jump off the lower balcony now.

- blocked off sight when you try to look through rocks or the tunnel mesh in 3rd person view.

- The dirt in the landscape has a normal and specular map now.

- Small changes to Post Processing Colors and the moon's color.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this would be the best place to give feedback on the map, so fire away :)

Marty11 asked for more sneaking options, I referred to this image, an extension to the original layout:

UthpI7W.png

And some (or a lot of?) people probably want a second vehicle route, not sure about that, or where I would even put it, ideas are welcome. The games I played on it yesterday ended in base destruction, GDI won 1, Nod won 1.

The problem with this map is that there's only one inf path and one vehicle path. The infantry "path" is too claustrophobic and it doesn't do much. But yeah, more sneaking options means more paths, and that's what this maps really needs atm. If possible you can add another vehicle path or two somehow that would be great.

There's also a b2b spot at the very back of the Nod base where they can shoot through a window to hit the wf.

I actually want to take back the things i suggested about adding more paths. Today when we played Snow in a 13v13, both teams were without vehicle production, and it was some of the most fun I had in a while. Both teams were pushing each other back and forth in the vehicle tunnel while farming the vehicle crate, and when Nod gathered a rather strong tank force, a triple SBH nuke caused the whole entire Nod team to charge in and ended the game with both teams having a total blast.

This map just doesn't work with 40 players, but can be very fun when the player count dips down during EU sleep time. And tbh that's perfectly fine.

I would suggest perhaps moving the WF back a tad bit, as it can be rushed easily in one sprint meter from any of the Nod buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some fun games on the map too, but also some moments where I felt like the game wasn't going anywhere and there weren't any more options available other than trying to push the tunnels again.

So I was thinking of re-designing the layout into this:

H0hmJUw.jpg

Another vehicle path, with the downsides being that it's a long way, and infantry can defend it easily from their infantry only exits (they're like the ones on canyon). I still need to make it a bit more curved, and the rocks you see over the path are a cave/arc.

I've also put in tankblockers to make it more difficult to camp the middle structure with vehicles.

And I'm going to move the WF back beause it is easier to get to WF than HoN. And the outside timed c4 for points/credits farming was fun but doesn't really seem fair towards GDI.

Your toughts?

Also move the Airstrip away from the new vehicle path a bit to make it more difficult to ion the end of the strip?

Yes I'm afraid it might break more things than improve things, but maybe it makes the map a lot better.

Last game I played the same things happened, we were regaining control of the tunnels, I said so in chat as well to notify my team, told people to switch to tanks now, but it didn't really happen..

Another option is to leave out the extra vehicle path, and add another infantry path instead, a one way/entrance only might work, but might be too OP or annoying to defend.

I'd also like to see some server stats actually, to see how long games took, if they ended in base destruction or point difference, and for which faction. I've seen all but 1 game end in base destruction, and Nod and GDI seem about equal, but that's just my experience, exact figures would be nice.

Made some changes today, building lights now, who do I send it to so it can be added to an upcoming patch?

No major changes to the layout, just moved the WF back and to the left a bit (if viewed from the Nod side)

Also added team logo's to the structure exits

Removed the exploding barrels because they only appear in Skirmish.

Made the map slightly brighter.

And I made changes to the landscape material, using heightmap blending instead of linear now:

Before:

vfDzmov.jpg

After:

EGJnzbB.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

ah ok no real map changes. if you want us to test it anyway, pre-release it in the download section ;)

The changes from my post above are form March 19. The new version can't be released yet, it needs a new script/class to work that's not in the game yet.

Here's the changelist of the upcoming version:

- Destructable obstacles that open up a new infantry entrance, this path leads to the top floor of the middle structure, and starts near the WF and HoN entrances.

- Silo credit rate increased to 3 per second.

- Explosive barrels (now possible because of the new script, and yes, they do damage when they explode)

- Improved landscape material

- Tweaked rock materials

- Removed meshes that weren't in visible range (over 150.000 polys saved)

- Improvements on texture scaling in the middle structure

- Removed collision on the faction logos, brightened up the Nod ones.

- Less amount of lights, but more brightness overall

- More detail added to the landscape.

- Improved decals, they're muddy now, which makes sense because of molten snow. They also fit to the landscape this time.

- Snow added to the barracks' sandbags and the HoN's globe.