[MAP->1.3.5 update]CNC-GrassyKnoll

Schmitzenbergh

Version 1.3.5 release

Another day, another update.

Can't say that much. Some changes have been done, read them below

-Removed some trees to make the performance better.
-Removed the silo and made a new vehicle path
-Added rocks for more cover
-Added a new tech building with the terminal up the mountain. The terminal will spawn 2 rocket emplacements for the team that captures them. The rocket emplacements will spawn in the base of the capturer. So the team that is King of the hill gets more defences, should help nod in defending. (As well as forcing players to use the hill)
-Added a second turret for nod to counter the GDI watchtower's efficiency.
-Perhaps some small thing I don't remember.

Downloadlink @ https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3393ABC29E26F205!123345&authkey=!AN6hcRR8XvtrWt0&ithint=file%2czip

When the map is on the testing server, the new beta launcher should get it automagically.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hello fellow Renegades!

After some silence I'm proudly announcing the first release of CNC-GrassyKnoll for Renegade-X!

The map takes place in an open foresty area. There is a large tiberium field for all your credits and tank warfare. A silo is available on the more narrow vehicle path. Infantry can go all ways! Move up the mountain for intense infantry battles, or just annoy every vehicle around you with your height advantage :cool:

This is my first Renegade-X and UDK map ever so criticisms are welcome. The map will be worked on if more playthrough info gets submitted. I highly encourage you to do this :)

Enjoy CNC-GrassyKnoll, get back to the woods! :cool:

Download the zip file @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Development screenshots/builds are also available there!)

8_GK_NEW.png

9_GK_NEW.png

10_GK_NEW.png

11_GK_NEW.png

12_GK_NEW.png

13_GK_NEW.png

14_GK_NEW.png

Changelog

Release 1.3.2
-The WF can't be driven into anymore (Aaaaww)
-Changed the orientation of some of the rocks at the map border so they can't be jumped anymore
-Moved the AS wall so an Ion beacon can't hit the AS from outside the wall
-Placed some rocks behind the bases so it's clear you can't go there
-Reworked some blocking volumes (The barbed wire part near the nod base)

Release 1.3
-Ion storm now has a gradual change in the map. No more instant change.
-Updated all the collision volumes so they are more natural. At least as much as possible.
-Updated Tiberium field with a seperate infantry path + bunker
-Updated the Tiberium volume so it follows the edge more precise
-Added some conviniently placed rocks so snipers don't have a direct sight on the base entrances for a safe distance
-Removed some blocking volumes around trees so vehicles can try to pass through (Trees are static meshes so collision is ok)
-Added an easter egg, happy searching 

Release 1.2
-Ion storm now has a static noise intermission between each storm
-Storms now last 60-90 seconds
-Non storm last 3-6 minutes, this can be changed very easily
-Fixed some rocks that made the players stuck
-Fixed some blockingvolumes(Fence area and inf mountain)
-Added background scenery (some crashed vehicles and mountains)
-Fixed the annoying collision bug that blocked shots from some characters (Thanks Kenz!)

Release 1.1
-Added special visual feature->will be expanded
-Lowered the Tiberium field so harvesters aren't that exposed anymore
-Silo has a cover for Nod base snipers
-Fixed a missing terrain bit near the Tiberium field

Release 1.0
-Added some bits and bobs in both bases (Trees, rocks)
-More rocks near the tiberium field crate
-Added testing minimap (its not perfect but the scale is quite right)
-Created sandbag that dont stop abrubtly
-Added some cover on the infantry mountain
-Corrected a lot of floating staticmeshes that should not float (Tank hedgehogs, sandbags, etc...)

Testing 1.1
-Reduced the size of the map from 93.8mb to 74.9mb (Thx Ruud003 for lightmapres tip!)
-Replaced all the foliage trees on the battlefield with staticmeshes.
-Removed all the collisions on the foliage trees outside the map.
-Reorganized the Nod base so an ion cannon can't destroy 2 buildings at once. (Ref and AS)
-Reorganized the GDI base so an nuclear strike can't destroy 2 buildings at once. (Barr and Ref)
-Added blocking volumes on the walls of both bases.
-Reworked the tiberium volumes so you don't get any damage when you're not in the field.
-Added some more foliage and decoration.
-Added a rock near the silo so Nod artilleries need to push further to hit the Weapons Factory.
-Added some more hills and dents near the Nod base tiberium route. (This was a flat area)
-Hired a gardener to cut away the grass in the GDI barracks.
-Set the endgame cam to linear instead of curved (Thx Handepsilon!)

Testing 1.0
-Initial testing release

Edited by Guest

OK,tested and ran all around the map,awesome design,seems good :)

here are some few tips and bug reports :

1- the silo : the MCT is facing nod side,so basicly nod can own the silo by having 1 sniper watching it from nod's base,would recommend either flip it so that both teams can see it (which could be catastrophic xD ) or put it in the middle hill.

2- the trees next to the tiberium field : those trees are somewhat good,except for the fact that you can see the emptyness behind them :/ would recommend make a mountain or water behind them for extra beauty for the map :)

also there is this thing on the left : http://i.imgur.com/fSbd3SK.jpg

3- harvesters : now harvees are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expozed to the point that you can shoot at them from your own base,either make a wall around the tiberium field or work up a solution by yourself ,I'm not good at mapping :rolleyes:

Super-Kh":2v6gygu2]OK,tested and ran all around the map,awesome design,seems good :)

here are some few tips and bug reports :

1- the silo : the MCT is facing nod side,so basicly nod can own the silo by having 1 sniper watching it from nod's base,would recommend either flip it so that both teams can see it (which could be catastrophic xD ) or put it in the middle hill.

2- the trees next to the tiberium field : those trees are somewhat good,except for the fact that you can see the emptyness behind them :/ would recommend make a mountain or water behind them for extra beauty for the map :)

also there is this thing on the left : http://i.imgur.com/fSbd3SK.jpg

3- harvesters : now harvees are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay expozed to the point that you can shoot at them from your own base,either make a wall around the tiberium field or work up a solution by yourself ,I'm not good at mapping :rolleyes:

I've been busy and fixed those point except for 3.

The silo has a conveniently placed rock so nod has no clear sight on the terminal from the base.

The emptiness at the border of the tib field has been addressed with some rocks and trees. You can't look into the void anymore. Also fixed that little black hole in the ground.

As for the harveys, I'm still searching for a permanent solution, but for now I've brought the harvestpoints more near their respective bases. Not a permanent fix but it will do for now.

As a new, yet simple, enhancement I've added some yellowish height fog which gives the map a finishing touch.

I'll post screens asap.. Ty for the reported bugs!

As promised, screens of the next release, one thing remaining: Harvester cover!

What's new? Height fog, Silo rock, scenery adjustments.

As for the depressing lightning, I really don't know a fix except changing the overall lightning color. And that's not really my plan :(

6_Screen1.png

6_Screen2.png

6_Screen3.png

6_Screen4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Back in WIP update

The map is back in WIP for a feature I need some comments and ideas on.

I've been busy with Kismet and added a new visual feature that I want to expand and perhaps get some help with.

I don't want to spoil the surprise so just download and play the map for at least 3 minutes. <-this is important.

Downloadlink @ the usual link : http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.1)

I'm curious on the responses on what I can do with this...

On a side note: the harvesters should not be that exposed anymore now

Changelog

Release 1.1

-Added special visual feature->will be expanded

-Lowered the Tiberium field so harvesters aren't that exposed anymore

-Silo has a cover for Nod base snipers

-Fixed a missing terrain bit near the Tiberium field

It would be a great map if you remove snipers from this.

Also this invisible walls at forest near tiberium field doesn't make a good impression. I can't even go near wooden fence lol. It would feels much better if you replace this invisible walls with wooden fence or something else.

Oh yeah and.. I don't know if it's just me, becouse I played it with my mutator, but officer's chain gun seems a bit broken in some locations of this map.

Edit: Oh or just add button at that campfire with comman "kill all snipers" :D

Oh yeah and.. I don't know if it's just me, becouse I played it with my mutator, but officer's chain gun seems a bit broken in some locations of this map.

I've noticed this too. Its very odd. I really don't know what this is. I Havent messed with any code except kismet. :confused: Anyone got an idea? It's like the chaingunner can only fire in a certain direction, the bullets wont turn with the player...

I like this map I see great potentiel in it .:)

The con are the Bright direct sun light

Ions storms is cool , would prefer that they would last much shorter and not as often, and a long shot would be very cool if one ligthing per ion storm (or every 2 storms)would hit ground a random place.

This will make a hit :))

Noticed that agt doesnt fire when my char was on rock somewhere near it but do fire at long range like near the fence at field.http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A8DB8100E/

also got stuck in rock in front of the sniper tower.http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 1378B5F3F/

Would try to make a transition for storm sky to clear sky ..as it is its snap on clear sky very fast :))

Overall, nice job ,looking forward :)

• 1 month later...

Ok I need help with something. Perhaps someone can look into this as I can't figure it out anymore.

I've added a new feature that will create ion storms via kismet. Nothing special, but since then the chaingunner has a very nasty bug I really can't get my head around. I've had some time this weekend to try to fix this because its something I really wanted to fix... But really I've given up :confused:

It looks like the chaingunner will shoot only in 1 certain direction. When it turns it will shoot against itself thus not spawning bullets. It looks like the angle of shooting will not turn with the character...

I've removed all my work with the ion storm and kismet but the problem still exists. I've rebuild everything again, from lightning till paths but no luck :(

Can someone please take a look at it? Buy a chaingunner and do a 360 degree spin while shooting, you'll see what I mean... I can't fix this so the map won't be done for real :(

• Totem Arts Staff

i dont see how any thing you add to kismet / map would affect guns like this my bet is that its your sdk ... ill download the map and take a look tho

edit: ok you messed something up

edit 2 ... its seems to be some sort of collision issue (pined it down to something in the centre of the map)

i dont see how any thing you add to kismet / map would affect guns like this my bet is that its your sdk ... ill download the map and take a look tho

Thats the same thing I thought... Is the SKD building the maps wrong then? I'll try to reinstall the SDK for now

Edit: Well, the UDK gods are not happy with me.. UDK won't start anymore. I'll try again tomorrow and keep you posted! Thanks for the help though

I just figured it out! It was indeed the interactivefoliage skydome. I just read it! I thank you for looking at it though! Now i can fix some collision errors and give the map another version release!

Thank_You_Meme_07.jpeg

PS: Do you know a way to show an image/flash animation in front of every player with kistmet? I want to do the static noise just before an ion storm :cool:

Version 1.2 release

Hello everyone,

After a long and frustrating bug hunt, version 1.2 of Grassyknoll_Ion has been released! The ion storm mechanic is now much better and it not as abrupt as before. I've recreated the Tiberian sun transition as close as possible, but I wont know if it works until someone else tests this :) Different resolutions are a bitch....

Whats new?

Release 1.2
-Bright direct sunlight has been reduced
-Fixed the annoying collision bug that blocked shots from some characters (Thanks Kenz!)

Anyway, enjoy playing the map(Or not) and I hope to see some feedback with ways to improve the map! Afterall, this is still my first UDK/RenX map.

Downloadlink @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.2)

Version 1.2 release

Hello everyone,

After a long and frustrating bug hunt, version 1.2 of Grassyknoll_Ion has been released! The ion storm mechanic is now much better and it not as abrupt as before. I've recreated the Tiberian sun transition as close as possible, but I wont know if it works until someone else tests this :) Different resolutions are a bitch....

Whats new?

Release 1.2
-Bright direct sunlight has been reduced

Anyway, enjoy playing the map(Or not) and I hope to see some feedback with ways to improve the map! Afterall, this is still my first UDK/RenX map.

Downloadlink @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.2)

Downloaded your map and had a look at it, it's progressing really well :D

I like the ion storm you've made. Clever use of the particle system you've done there!

For the static noise, maybe you need to have a bit smoother transition there.. its a bit, abrupt I think..

If you need meteors etc, just look at my map and steal the kismet from it (if you can grab a hand on the files)

Small update:

V1.2.2

I must have had my head inside an ion storm myself.. I've uploaded the debug version of the map the last time :eek: 5 seconds in the map and already an ion storm? Nah

This version gives you some time to actually see the map before the storm hits!

Downloadlink @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.2.2)

On a side note, I'm busy with making the transition between an ion storm and non ion storm more natural with matinee. I hope it will be done by the end of next week. :cool:

Really cool new mechanic!!

Don't forget to use the proper sound actor for your sounds!

Use: AmbientSoundSimpleToggleable. You need a soundnodewave for this (not a cue)

what it looks like:

F98KULl.png

Can't wait to see the new storm mechanic :)

I still miss the meteors crashing in though, will you add them later? :P

Version 1.3 release

Yes I'm back! With improved storms!

Version 1.3 has an improved storm mechanic which, hopefully, will make the ion storm less instant.

I've also redesigned the Tiberium field to be a bit less bland. Take a look :)

7_Tibfield.png

Whats new?

Release 1.3
-Ion storm now has a gradual change in the map. No more instant change.
-Updated all the collision volumes so they are more natural. At least as much as possible.
-Updated Tiberium field with a seperate infantry path + bunker
-Updated the Tiberium volume so it follows the edge more precise
-Added some conviniently placed rocks so snipers don't have a direct sight on the base entrances for a safe distance
-Removed some blocking volumes around trees so vehicles can try to pass through (Trees are static meshes so collision is ok)
-Added an easter egg, happy searching 

I've changed the yellowish tint to be less intense during storms. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to keep this, but I'll let you guys decide too. (The only thing to do would be to change the directional light to a dominant light :cool: )

Downloadlink @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.3)

I'll add this to the test server a.s.a.p.

1 note though: maybe you need to add more pointlights in the tib field, more green lights, so the tiberium actually glows..? and/or boost the emissive channel on the tiberium material a bit more?

Perhaps you're right, I'll put it on the to-do list. I was afraid the green light would be to intense when it bounces of the rocks so I decreased them a bit. When I can aces my workstation again I'll build a new version with better tib lights!

• 1 month later...

You could do with placing some metal tank blockers and barbed wire on the edges of the forest nearest each base, because it looks as if you should be able to explore down the side of each bases concrete wall, but you hit an invisible wall that prevents you from going further.

Someone mentioned something about the main base concrete high walls being destructible? This would be a cool game/map feature that would create some unique strategies if it can be implemented beyond being a client-side only thing.

So, just a quick fix & check list:

• Make the WF front door inaccessibel for vehicles
  • Make sure it isn't possible to jump on the rocks behind the WF
  • Check if the AS can be ioned from outside the wall. If so, move the AS so it can't be hit by ion
  • Place some visual blockers behind each base so it is clear you can't go there.
  • Extend the blocking volumes near the nod AS (The barbed wire outside the base)

How was the impression of the gameplay btw? Anything that needs to be on the list regarding to gameplay?

Thanks for the feedback though! Going to fix it asap.

Edit: added Glacious' barbed wire bug

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.3.2 release

So after the Map testing session there were some bugs found. This version fixes them :cool:

Thanks for all the feedback! The non ion version will be up later.

Downloadlink @ http://1drv.ms/1MKkzcB (Download version 1.3.2)

Whats new?

Release 1.3.2
-The WF can't be driven into anymore (Aaaaww)
-Changed the orientation of some of the rocks at the map border so they can't be jumped anymore
-Moved the AS wall so an Ion beacon can't hit the AS from outside the wall
-Placed some rocks behind the bases so it's clear you can't go there
-Reworked some blocking volumes (The barbed wire part near the nod base)

• 2 weeks later...

This map could use some clutter in the vehicle path. It's a bit empty and vehicle slugging is dull. Tib field side is fine though. Silo kinda feels like it's just slapped on the side of the map. This map easily ends up in a sniper fest, but it's just how this was designed so I don't think you can do anything about it.