The Making of Canyon

kenz3001

• Totem Arts Staff

yes im making another map, a remake of the CNC-Renegade map Canyon. and again i thought i would share with you the horrors of mapping :P well not the horrors but my struggles in making this complicated map and maybe get some people interested in making maps for games them selves

well any way here are the Play list

again vids will go up ever 2 days or so (might do more live streams this time)

most of the vids are recorded well ahead of time but any comments would be appreciated :) i can always modify things

again i dont care if you sub to my youtube channel or not ... the channel is not monetized so subbing has no impact on it or me :) but it is a good way to find out if i uploaded a new vid, and if your are interested in anything i put on it :)

Thanks, hope you enjoy my mutterings and the making of CNC_Canyon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glacier ? phhh no

While I am familiar with the answer, I still insist that map has terrific synergy for RenX.

Think about it. You need to expand most maps to work with RenX being the average size is no longer 8-8 to 12-12. Glacier is already big enough, and it has intricate enough design in it's tunnels and vehicle pathing, and it even has air unit balance and some stationary neutral field defences. You can of course relocate some things but the map has such a promising use in this game.

It is a shame it may never be.

I want to make a map too though :(. Glacier and City-Flying. Although, I would call city "X-City" because how cool is that. If I made a city map in UDK, would the work in changing the assets be significant enough to try and rebuild it in RenX? Because I would build it twice if I had to, it isn't like I don't have a video reference *coughvolcano*

I think I can handle it. I've been out of the loop for a few years, but I am the old production manager of C&C Reborn. I have a good amount of experience with 3ds max and Maya. The material system looks near identical to Maya.

I've actually worked with a few of the members on this team on other projects.

Yay new making of.. videos! :D

I think the best location for the silo is the first one you said, outside of the tunnels, near to where the harvesters will harvest. I think it would be awesome to have it sitting on a cliff, only accessible through the tunnels. I think it could work really well to have the silo in a "hot" part of the map, where a lot of action is, kinda like in Field, but I think this will be even better.

Could be cool to have short wooden walkways hanging to the side of the canyon, to get to the silo.

Yay new making of.. videos! :D

I think the best location for the silo is the first one you said, outside of the tunnels, near to where the harvesters will harvest. I think it would be awesome to have it sitting on a cliff, only accessible through the tunnels. I think it could work really well to have the silo in a "hot" part of the map, where a lot of action is, kinda like in Field, but I think this will be even better.

Could be cool to have short wooden walkways hanging to the side of the canyon, to get to the silo.

That cliff by the harvester's collection would be perfect. Depending on "scale" i.e. height of cliff, the tunnel can have 2 new passages leading from both tunnel points, down to the base. So, you can use the tunnels to go in the bottom and out the top.

A new tunnel going to tib field would also give a harvester attack point by infantry, and since both harvesters are close it would pit infantry against infantry and against vehicle.

Maybe you can rotate the Strip 180 degrees? (Just the landing strip, not the building). Problem with that though is that your vehicle spawns a bit far away from the center of the base, and maybe the vehicle will be more vulnerable to enemy fire (But then maybe it won't because you might not need to put the airstrip that far out to prevent clipping, when it's rotated).

This is just a suggestion, it's up to you to decide but I thought it might work..

Seems like cover in the tunnels was removed on this map too (like islands)? Those arches look like they need to stick out from the wall more in order to give the same effect as the beams from the original, and be more frequent throughout the tunnels

Yes, I didn't catch that, but I noticed they were there before, and that IS IMPORTANT. I also hope they are added to islands, steel beams on the walls to take cover behind.