The Making of Canyon

kenz3001

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be okay if you could get on top of the barracks. Even on top of the openings to the nod underground. Solution is to try and squeeze one of those "flying map" barracks with the ramps into space it is now.

Waiwaiwait! I remember there being a "wall" with the cliche openings for snipers and the blockades and stuff, in front of the Bar facing out torwards the GDI entrance. What if that also had a sheet-metal laid across acting as a ramp atop the bar as well?

And ask for the top of the nod underground entrances, just add "vehicle unpathable" and not "infantry unpathable", so infantry can and vehicle cant.

• Totem Arts Staff
Kenz, what did I ever do to you? Why do you hate me?

Why would a bridge that thin, and of such a shape, be made with cobblestone?

^ That.

Think the steel and light concrete idea from OldRen actually made a bit of sense. Can't say I would ever drive a tank on a cobblestone ramp that thin.

• Totem Arts Staff

tunnels attract snipers and if i were to put a silo in the tunnels some were the team that captured it could defend it to easily having the silo out in the open and accessible from the tunnels was the best choice easily accessible wile being a challenge to capture due to the fighting going on around it (a bit like field but a bit closer to the tunnels)

tunnels attract snipers and if i were to put a silo in the tunnels some were the team that captured it could defend it to easily having the silo out in the open and accessible from the tunnels was the best choice easily accessible wile being a challenge to capture due to the fighting going on around it (a bit like field but a bit closer to the tunnels)

I can dig this. The wide openings to the tunnels will eat up mine limit, the vehicles are as much a threat as the infantry without a base defence, and the silo is in open sight to both. You can get killed from atop the tunnel entrance above, just as easily as from ground level. You might just need team control of both if you are to capture it.

This might be the most dense fighting map to date too, given it's size and the short distance vehicles fight and large tunnels infantry fight in.

I suggest to make the rock next to the silo a little bit bigger, so that engineers have a better protection against enemy vehicles.

Also you have the same problem like on field. The problem on field is, that when GDI is in advantage, the GDI-tanks are standing next to the silo when they siege the Nod-base. So Nod-players are not able to capture the silo.

naa you ok :P dont think it will take as long as volcano or canyon (vid wize)... but there is a lot of custom meshes that need to be made for city and im not the guy for the job :(

I would just touch up a downloaded cache of them on some freeware site.

Hell, I would love to do it, I bet I could make the map so different yet nostalgic and functional. I always the overpass coming across in an X shape instead of almost following the length of road under was a good idea. As well as an on ramp and off ramp mid-field. That would also "stretch" the field a bit farther, making it less cramped and instead of giving snipers easy reign they have to snipe greater distances. Also, put some classic "underpass" debris as cover, like "burning barrels" and "dirt piles" and flipped over children's carosels.

Thx for recording it all, love seeing the progress. I really liked Canyon in the original, and to me this remake captures the atmosphere of the original Canyon perfectly. The open parts of the base and the soil texture parts are a really awesome addition in my opinion.

Did you ever want to make a self designed map? I think that would be the most fun to do, biggest point though is that it has to be good Game Design wise, it has to play well, and that's a challenge.

A very interesting series to follow indeed!

Whatever happened with Under? I know you didnt make it, but I was suprised to not see it in the public beta yet seeing as how it was in the UT3 mod. Before anyone says, yes I know a lot (if not all) static meshes and effects and all needs to be remade.