The end game is really weak

Noticed something today after having been on the loosing side a few times, the end game really sucks if you're losing. Once your vehicle factory is destryoed it's pretty much game over and many people just quit, once that happens there is just no point to playing anymore because it's just spawn/die/spawn/die till the enemy finishes destroying your base.

I think you guys need to re-work some of the mechanics of the end game because it's a real downer. The loosing side needs to still have hope, still maintain some way of fighting to at least try and turn it around but the way the game is set up basically once you loose vehicles its game over - you may as well just have the game end right there. Same is true for the refinery, once you cant earn creds its done you may as well quit because theres no point in playing further.

The buildings that are ciritical to the core game play need to either be not destroyable or be rebuildable after they've been destroyed. Wish I could offer more advice but you guys need to put some thought into this, you're kind of being screwed by the very nature of the game itself, you may need to re-think things a bit.

Not destroyable or rebuildable kills the point of the game as it is, unless we expanded it a lot farther. I'd suggest we not go to such extremes.

I don't know what would be a good solution, however. Lets brainstorm (those ideas could be good or terrible)

Better credit gain? That could certainly help a lot for a team without refinery. Maybe even increase the gain only when the ref is dead.

Better crates system? The winning team will generally have the crates, so whats the point? What about crates in base? Or let them have a chance to spawn in a destroyed building so the more building you've lost, the higher the changes you get some small thing to help you turn the tide.

Some of the mechanics that I loved in the old Renegade jelly servers were actually good to turn the tide:

-Destroyed vehicles would leave a "wreckage" which gave a chance for the defenders to steal vehicles. Otherwise, they just have to never leave their vehicles and you will never get one.

-Dropped weapons really helped. All the effort to kill some infantry was worth something.

So many ideas, but purists might differ. I'd personally love more features of that sort to help the losing team, as far as non-competitive matches goes.

Yea I'm not sure what the solution is myself, the problems is bacially being created by the type of game it is.

The game relies very heavily on vehicles, being on foot is pretty much useless unless you are trying to sabotage which is mostly an exercise in futility, or if you are trying to repair.

Perhaps making soldiers more effective against vehicles and making vehicles a bit less effective against soldiers?

There also needs to be some sort of other source of credits, if you cant earn credits its game over you may as well quit becuase you're just wasting your time, and indeed many people do just that.

The way it is the game is good only 75% of the gime but once you start loosing you basically have no hope and feeling like you're just wasting your time playing the game makes you not want to play another round.

I personally love tiberium silos, especially on lakeside. They allow income after loss of refinery and even getting an income advantage if your team manages to secure the enemy tiberium field. Tech buildings that unlock some vehicles or technician classes would be a great addition IMO, as they would allow the loosing team to pull out even if it is good enough.

Noticed something today after having been on the loosing side a few times, the end game really sucks if you're losing. Once your vehicle factory is destryoed it's pretty much game over and many people just quit, once that happens there is just no point to playing anymore because it's just spawn/die/spawn/die till the enemy finishes destroying your base.

I think you guys need to re-work some of the mechanics of the end game because it's a real downer. The loosing side needs to still have hope, still maintain some way of fighting to at least try and turn it around but the way the game is set up basically once you loose vehicles its game over - you may as well just have the game end right there. Same is true for the refinery, once you cant earn creds its done you may as well quit because theres no point in playing further.

The buildings that are ciritical to the core game play need to either be not destroyable or be rebuildable after they've been destroyed. Wish I could offer more advice but you guys need to put some thought into this, you're kind of being screwed by the very nature of the game itself, you may need to re-think things a bit.

pubbing is not a good measure of balance

Pubbing is a very relevant experience and having it can have a separate non-competitive set of options to make those games better instead of just having an elitist view and saying "screw pubs, only comps matters", because for all I care competitive play is awful in a game like this and is not at all what I play this game for, but we can have features that comps don't use to make our DIFFERENT game experience balanced in its own, DIFFERENT way.

Lets remember that Renegade was always filled with casual non-competitive players and so I won't let anyone just plain dismiss the pubbing experience or balance.

Were you playing a timed game or Marathon?

Timed games can offer a close game based on good defending.

Also, pedestal beacons have yet to be added. Once those are in, at least there is a chance to win with just one super weapon.

I agree entirely with OP. Once the barracks/WF/PP is destroyed the game gets really boring (depending on the map and whether you like to play infantry or vehicles), and once the refinery is destroyed the game is over—there's no point in playing any more.

Here are two potential ways to change this:

#1) Easy Fix: Increase the HP of the refinery and have buildings take less damage from the Master Control Terminal (engi rush is really too strong, especially in pub matches with smaller numbers of players). Also increase the global trickle of credits and make it continue even when the refinery is destroyed (losing harvester income is already a massive disadvantage). A surrender vote option would be nice as well, rather than having people leave and just sitting around waiting for the game to end.

#2) Thorough Fix: Make it so that once a building is destroyed, it counts as destroyed as far as the base destruction victory condition goes, but make it so that it the functionality of the building is restored after 5-10 mins; also make it so that the restored/damaged building has only half of its normal max HP, making it easier to destroy subsequent times. This way destroying buildings still gives a significant advantage, but it isn't a game-ender, nor does it make games boring by removing the aspect of the game that people like (either infantry or vehicles, or both). If people are worried about logic and realism, this breach of realism actually already exists, since the war factory/airstrip will still make harvesters even after it's been destroyed.

I agree with OP as well. I have always felt that this game reaches little compromise in some areas.

WF destroyed? NO VEHICLES

REF destroyed? NO MONEY

Base defenses up? NO INFANTRY ALLOWED THROUGH (with the exception or goldrush which is a map I thoroughly enjoy)

The power plant reaches a compromise (aside from powering down defenses) on most maps because it INHIBITS not so much as CRIPPLES the team. Everyone likes an underdog game, but crippling a team then bullying them into a submission is not very fun.

How about:

BAR destroyed? Mobius, Havoc, Syndney, purchaseable weapons disabled.

WF destroyed? Vehicle cap severely limited, no mammies

REF destroyed? Credit gain substantially reduced annnnnd tiberium field forms around leaking reactor..

You get the gist.

I support surrender vote option. At least then the whiny surrender babies can just end the map instead of team hampering and causing a slower loss anyway.

This can be done by irc bots.

Problem with this is, in beta 2, the FORCEEND rcon command doesn't work anymore. At least from what I was experiencing. I used to be able to end the game whenever I wanted from IRC but now I can't.

Well, i need to Quote myself from another topic :rolleyes: :

"Yes, they get a big reward for destroying the barracks/HoN. No more heavy infantry. And i know its a big part of the gameplay. But losing racks/HoN includung the weaponfsactory /Af brings one team in some kind of "undead position".

The other buildings (powerplant and refinery) are now nearly useless, except to build the superweapons.

Would this happend in a RTS-Game the player, which suffers from this heavy losses, would give up.

But with renegade, we have actiongame mixed with parts of a rts-game.

The team in the "undead-position" is now forced to defend and will not attack. So the possibility to win goes for this team extremly down. And this is of course very frustrating".

Edited by Guest

So what could be the solution for this problem:

Bringing capturable silos in the game is a major improvement.

A team that lost their refenery has now a good chance to get credits.

But the silos should be reached only by foot.

In Whiteout the silos a directly on the attackpath, so mostly enemy tanks are standing next to it and kill every Infantry thats try to take controll of it. Also its easy to bombart the silo with the rocketemplacements.

So i think the silo needs another position in whiteout. In other maps the position of the silos is ok.

I like the proposal of A-rodge.

I still made this proposal: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=73126

The idea of A-rodge sounds interesting however i suggest only "Tier I" equipment once the HoN/barracks and airstrip/WF get destroyed.

In other words, you still have the rocket trooper and officer guy. (or maybe 1-2 more), the humvee/medium tank and for Nod perhaps the bugee/light tank and flame tank? (or no tanks and only bugee/humvee and apc)

That way you severely damage the enemy but not in a way that they cant do anything anymore, they can still fight abit :P

The idea of A-rodge sounds interesting however i suggest only "Tier I" equipment once the HoN/barracks and airstrip/WF get destroyed.

In other words, you still have the rocket trooper and officer guy. (or maybe 1-2 more), the humvee/medium tank and for Nod perhaps the bugee/light tank and flame tank? (or no tanks and only bugee/humvee and apc)

That way you severely damage the enemy but not in a way that they cant do anything anymore, they can still fight abit :P

destroying the enemy Weapons Factory and Airstrip would in that case not be a penalty at all. in some cases, it would even make the enemy team better. if 100% of all vehicles were light tanks... well then GDI's screwed. i do like the idea of still buying a Buggy and Humvee for maybe an increased cost, but no more than that.

and if the Barracks or HoN gets destroyed... officer, rocket soldier and McChemtrooper only. maybe for an increased cost aswell.

@darkraptor: yeah I think silos were an excellent addition to the game and are great stepping stones to a better experience. Renegade has so much potential to be an amazing(er) game, it just needs some gameplay changes.

@arc_trooper: thats an even better idea. It would give the spotlight to classes and vehicles that wouldnt get as much attention otherwise. It might even be funner, holding the line with officers and humvees.

The hope of the losing side is that the winning side is so overconfident that an engineer can easily go pass their defense and blow their buildings as well. If you lose these "critical" buildings then you might as well just accept your failure and either, leave the game and let people who actually want to play do their thing or accept it and move on with the game. I've seen GDI recover from losing WF and Bars on Whiteout by just using the overconfidence of the enemy.

Also, crates. Crates are the biggest saviour for losing WF and Bars.

I don't get it, the point of losing a building is that you fucked up and have to live with it, if after losing Bars and WF you are going to give up, then why even play the god damn game?

destroying the enemy Weapons Factory and Airstrip would in that case not be a penalty at all. in some cases, it would even make the enemy team better. if 100% of all vehicles were light tanks... well then GDI's screwed. i do like the idea of still buying a Buggy and Humvee for maybe an increased cost, but no more than that.

and if the Barracks or HoN gets destroyed... officer, rocket soldier and McChemtrooper only. maybe for an increased cost aswell.

I agree:

tanks would be to strong, but Humvee and Buggys are fine.

I like also the idea thats by destroying the barracks/HoN u can still buy officers, the chemical- and the rocket-soldiers. But a group of rocketssoldiers are still very strong and then we have the same probleme like when there are only light tanks. So may proposal is, when you destroy the racks/HoN the enemy can still buy the tier 1 units, but they are a little bit more expensive, same like when you destroy the powerplant.

About the crates:

We could have here the same solution like in Mario Kart. :o

When you are leading the race in Mario Kart you only get weak items like bannanas or green shells.

But Racers on the last places get very strong items like the lightning.

So when you collect a crate and you are in the leading team you only weak benefit like a refiel or 100-150 credits. And when you are in the losing team you get a stronger benefit.

But it shouldn't be to strong. For example, not one entire tank.

About the crates:

We could have here the same solution like in Mario Kart. :o

When you are leading the race in Mario Kart you only get weak items like bannanas or green shells.

But Racers on the last places get very strong items like the lightning.

So when you collect a crate and you are in the leading team you only weak benefit like a refiel or 100-150 credits. And when you are in the losing team you get a stronger benefit.

But it shouldn't be to strong. For example, not one entire tank.

Why not just increase the chances for the biggest benefits for the team with less buildings? For example, if GDI is lacking 3 out of 4-5 buildings it will have more chances of receiving a vehicle or a character instead of just money or a stroke. Of course, I am talking of a medium boost of chance, not of 50% of getting a mammoth.

I agree. Humvees and Buggys only. They could lead to some interesting tactics, like Humvees+engis assaults, and other harassing tactics using their high speed and numbers, and the ability to avoid the projectiles of the slower tanks. Maybe they should be brought to the battlefield by a transport helicopter, so it wouldn't be awkward to see the WF still working while being on fire, but that's only a visual suggestion.

I think that their price should stay the same, being the delay upon vehicle arrival the only drawback, with double price when the PP is destroyed (not realistic if brought by helicopter, as the vehicle isn't produced in the base's Weapons Factory), or make them cost double, like when the PP is destroyed, but get unaffected by a possible future PP loss, so they don't get ridiculously high prices that would make them unusable for their assured-death assault role in detriment of teamwork. We want the losing side to still be able to attack and be dangerous, not to camp in their base more efficiently with their valuable overpriced humvees. The same goes for tier 1 soldiers (rocket, officer and McChem): Double cost and unaffected by future PP loss, or same cost affected by PP status.

I would choose the double price upon production building destruction option, because there are many maps without PP.

I also think that purchasable weapons should keep their cost unaffected by the Power Plant destruction, because I have rarely seen them since beta 2, not to mention what would happen if they had doubled prices, but that's another story.

So to sum up a few suggestions:

* Upon barracks/HoN destruction, that team can only purchase chaingunner/rocket soldier. This allows for decent but not great defense against vehicles. McFarland/McChemtrooper is giving them waay too much for failing to defend.

* Upon WF/Air destruction, the hummer/buggy are the only vehicles allowed. That seems fair, they're weak but give some mobility.

I think these two ^^ and the crate are an either/or scenario. If they get the above, crate probabilities shouldn't change, but if they *don't*, then the crate idea is a good one.

P.S. Grenadiers should be disabled upon bar destruction as they are OP. :v

I like how it is now, i hope that will not change

just keep in mind that there will be other gamemodes comming

and mutators aswell

I have an idea for such a game mode, that could make the endgame interesting.

In this game mode, lets just called it the conquer-mode, you can win the game by taking a tech building.

Not the silos, a new tech building. For example the Comcenter or better the Temple of Nod.

You have to controll the building for 4 or more minutes to win.

Of course u still can win the game buy destroying the enemy base or by time-limit.

The difficulty is to place this tech building on the map, thats every team has a good change to take.

What do you think about this idea?

I have an idea for such a game mode, that could make the endgame interesting.

In this game mode, lets just called it the conquer-mode, you can win the game by taking a tech building.

Not the silos, a new tech building. For example the Comcenter or better the Temple of Nod.

You have to controll the building for 4 or more minutes to win.

Of course u still can win the game buy destroying the enemy base or by time-limit.

The difficulty is to place this tech building on the map, thats every team has a good change to take.

What do you think about this idea?

good raw idea ...

maybe it would be good to have 2 buildings to capture and hold for like 5 minutes ...

destroying the base would not end the game ... but imagine how hard it would be to hold

2 opposite points of the map without higher infantery and/or vehicles

I have another idea for a new side arm, thats could help in the most weak and nealy endless endgames:

Its the bazooka.

- Its a side arm, so you dont need barracks or HoN for it.

- The bazooka its cheaper then the rocketsoldier.

- It deals the same damage to vehicle and buildings like the rocketsoldier

but

- doesn't give the player more life or armor

- doesn't has a lock-on ablility

- does have a shorter range than the rocketsoldier but a higher range than the granete/flamethrower

- has a low ammo

With the bazooka players have the ability to attack building from the outside. So there is a better chance to destroy a building in the endgame.

• 2 weeks later...

You people tell me the end game is weak, but me and my buds just won on Whiteout by flying an orca as a floating sniper platform to cover a ref nuke. Get more creative people! ;)

A third option would be to make a 'last stand'- mode, which doubles the points gained, and unless the base is completely destroyed the team with the most points would win after X minutes.
Your second point is called AOW - i.e. the game mode that isn't terrible and has a time limit. As to the first, then teams will TRY to start "losing" so they can get the last stand crap. Not good.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine count might need to be revisted. At first it seems like the original count of 30 mines wasn't enough because you could not put 5 mines on each entrance (which back then was the amount it took to kill a player, not sure about today) so on some maps you had to make sacrifices in your security. Instead of mining both entrances to the refinery put 10 mines in the infantry only path right next to the refinery. You would be weaker against APC rushes but you wouldn't have to worry as much over the lone commando technician sneaking into your base.

Having an 80 mine cap is cool but ridiculous. One element in the old Renegade that made you feel badass was sneaking into a base and knocking out a building all by yourself. But with 20+ people it is hard to not get noticed, and then with 80 mines sprawled around the base it is nigh impossible.

on a team there can be max 32 lets say,

if mines get capped to 5 per individual, with the 6. replacing your 1. if it still stands and so on, that makes 160 mines per side. Now 80 sounds more reasonable than ever.

Also does the minecap has this twist: Since its limited for the game as a whole and not divided into 2 for each side, the side who mines early faster has the upper hand in base security throughout the match ?

here some ideas for a MAYBE better gameplay:

1. you might get a crates that restores one of your buildings (it was in mpf sever and it rocked like hell xD, 'cause suddenly the whole game changed again ^^).

2. its purchaseable to REBUILD a destroyed building. e.g. how about 10 000? just an idea though... (and only pretty cool in marathon i guess)

3. purchaseable turrets, gts and flaks (was on mpf too together with a levelup system, it rocked my day back then)

to the levelup system (better health, better armor, more weapons and when you are master you are sbh o.O)

4. here an idea about weapon drops: how about ONLY free characters are able to pick up weapons? might be worth a shot or?

5. if hon / bar is destroyed: how about an emergency class which is an improved normal soldier with e.g. 150 health / 150 armor and a slightly better assaultgun (therefore you prevent one shots)

6. when wf / air is dead: you get a ONE TIME siege tank which is a huge transportvehicle with weapons on each side for all the troops inside it (like that tank in red alert 2 on allies side)

7. when ref is dead, how about slavery workers? xD like in red alert 2 on yuris side hehehe

8. when pp is dead: a shockwave impuls appears and kills all enemy helis near pp

9. how about some neutral enemies who are against everyone? e.g. a tib enemy with its own base that produces those carnivores or whatever they are called and so on

10. if gdi is almost losing its last building, mc guyver appears and reps it instantly

if nod is almost losing its last building, iwan appears and is calling lots of airstrikes xD

11. how about some reinforcements? e.g. you have 3000 but no air, you just go to the terminal and press it and get maybe two buggies and one lighty "BOTS".

12. how about mercenaries that you can hire?

well thats it right now...

i personally would love to see 5. 'cause i think it would make more fun then when on the losing team.

Edited by Guest

You people tell me the end game is weak, but me and my buds just won on Whiteout by flying an orca as a floating sniper platform to cover a ref nuke. Get more creative people! ;)

Bingo! In the original I have been on this "loosing" team several times and pushed them back with no more than soldiers, flamethrowers and one careful technician. When the whinys leave, good!

goztow by any politeness... you are an idiot. the rebuild crate was used in the old renegade in some servers and it WORKED perfectly. it gave the game a great twist. and NO ONE said that crate should be disabled. it was actually one of the most favorite crates of the gamers -.-.

just saying: controling the crates in a game is also a kind of tactic...

I think that would be an interesting crate to have in Marathon server, but what about a twist?

-> When a team is missing at least 1 building, every crate they get adds to a Building Counter. When that counter reaches 100, one of their building is rebuilt.

-> The less buildings you have, the more each crate adds to the building counter.

Maybe..

+5 when your team has 3 or more buildings left (so 20 crates for 1 building)

+10 when your team has 2 buildings left (10 crates)

+20 when your team has 1 building left (5 crates)

-> The counter resets when your team loses a building.

Something like that. The benefit of that system is it gives a warning to each team and doesn't feel too random. You KNOW the other team is going to win back a building, its just a matter of time. This also encourages aggression, since that resets their counters.

I have no idea how they ever worked in the original since I've never seen those crates. However, I tend to hate the end game in Renegade and it devolves into that even in non-marathon servers these days, where one building just dies in the first 5 minutes way too often.

So you have no idea how much I want something like this in the game.

goztow by any politeness... you are an idiot. the rebuild crate was used in the old renegade in some servers and it WORKED perfectly. it gave the game a great twist. and NO ONE said that crate should be disabled. it was actually one of the most favorite crates of the gamers -.-.

Insulting people who disagree with you does not help your case.

I have problems with letting luck decide on something as important. If you really want a possibility to recreate buildings then let people capture a tech building that counts down for 15 minutes and then revives one building. if you loose it then the counter resets. No luck is involved then.

I do not like the idea of reviving buildings altogether though as it is completely against the command and conquer mode idea.

Its against one mentality of C&C passed down since Renegade, but what does it matter? So are sniper servers, or deathmatch servers, and etc.

Its only against one way to look at the C&C mode, one way that wasn't even the first way. Renegade has had more than one way to look at things.

Marathon alone completely breaks the mentality into something else.

Insulting people who disagree with you does not help your case.

I have problems with letting luck decide on something as important. If you really want a possibility to recreate buildings then let people capture a tech building that counts down for 15 minutes and then revives one building. if you loose it then the counter resets. No luck is involved then.

I do not like the idea of reviving buildings altogether though as it is completely against the command and conquer mode idea.

you began it in the first place by insulting the idea ;), i just defended it. if you dont like it just say it but dont make sarcasm out of it. your idea: no. 15 min lol you must be dreaming.

dont stick to much to the c&c world. the most important one is to have fun in the game not that it is as close as possible to a certain game. =>. e.g. colonial marines

sbhs werent used at all in the c&c world. mosrt of those characterswere only seen in renegade so far. pic and raver weapon, never seen in other c&c games. light tank doesnt look and drive like the light tank in tiberian dawn and so on and so on. so dont even try to use the c&c world as a explanation as to why rebuild crates shouldnt be used. -.-

Personally I've always been against the idea of building revival.

However, I realise that other players may like this idea.

The best way to do it, would probably be with a mutator - so server owner's could decide whether to implement it or not.

Your idea of fun is not mine, obviously. I like a game tht is competitive and where good teamwork and gameplay can make a difference. Not a game where something as hazardious like a crate spawn can change the game completely. Crates should give small advantages imo. I do not like the idea and I do not like the way you call me an idiot. Does this surprise you?

Your idea of fun is not mine, obviously. I like a game tht is competitive and where good teamwork and gameplay can make a difference. Not a game where something as hazardious like a crate spawn can change the game completely. Crates should give small advantages imo. I do not like the idea and I do not like the way you call me an idiot. Does this surprise you?

and thats why we have different servers with different playstyles.

for me you are therefore still an idiot ;). besides i can say it in other ways too if you want ^^.

question answered. end of story.

Instead adding a conyard or making it luck dependant building revival function could be added over PP.

As long as the PP still stands, destroyed structure husks would get restored to life with 10% health(players have to repair the rest) after a duration that is different for each building, so the obelisk is on longest 'respawn timer' with the weap/strip and ref just after it. Hand/Barrack and AA would be after, turret/tower the fastest.

Also the neutral silos: We should able to destroy them, the gain would to get it out of the game, downside is permanent heavy tiberium radiation poisoning in wide radius around the ruin.