Why Renegade X should go on Steam

nzdriver

1.Mirrors

Black Dawn had slow and few mirrors making it hard for everyone to download and play it. Having Renegade X on Steam will mean fast downloads. And as bonus you can't have a pre install period so everyone can have it already installed the second they can play it.

2.Simple Install

Many people found black dawn hard to install having it on Steam will mean the computer will install it for you.

3.VAC

Because Renegade X is a multiplayer game you need to consider an anti cheat engine, VAC not only works but is supported for the unreal engine

4.Numbers

There is about 4million users on Steam and anyone loves something free, this will quickly spread the game.

5.Come on

The community wants this game to be on Steam so please send a submission form to Valve.

Well, I have heard a bit of steam, but I don't know a heck about it...But anyways, with that so people using that program, it may sound like a good idea. But I still don't think it will stay much of a diffrence... Does having it on steam acually have some other kind of use? It sounds like a platform to upload your games on...

As for the Steam function, it isn't worth the effort.

But for the amount of targets you will get, the impact can be huge, since there are a lot of gamers on steam daily. The word can spread very fast on such programs, which is very good for the Renegade community....I really believe you have to catch new group of gamers into this awesome, unique, gameplay, because most of the old Renegade game are too cocky to change from Renegade to Renegade X

Just my opinion^

xD_ERROR_xD

Well, I have heard a bit of steam, but I don't know a heck about it...But anyways, with that so people using that program, it may sound like a good idea. But I still don't think it will stay much of a diffrence... Does having it on steam acually have some other kind of use? It sounds like a platform to upload your games on...

coped from site

Persistent identity framework

Achievements, leaderboards, profiles, and avatars make your game come alive, building your community and providing a strong incentive to play more and recruit others.

Multiplayer matchmaking

Steamworks' multiplayer back-end is powered by robust matchmaking and lobby technology. The same technology that drives the quick and accurate match-ups in Left 4 Dead can be used in your game. Works with both peer-to-peer and server-based games. Steamworks' built-in voice functionality enables players to work quickly to strategize their next misson.

The Steam Community

Your game becomes the talk of the town as part of Steam’s large and connected Steam Community. Friends will see friends playing your game and will be able to organize matches, compare achievements, and talk about the next match, sequels, favorite parts, or their favorite villain.

Official groups

Talk directly to your customers and invite gamers from across the Steam Community to be a part of your Official Group on Steam. Official Groups are run solely by you. You can organize matches, post concept art, announce news, or simply chat about anything you like with your customers. Each game and partner automatically has a spot reserved — it’s up to you to say what you like and connect with your customers.

In-game DLC

Sell additional content from within your game to the customers who want it most. Steamworks provides true in-game DLC, allowing customers to select, buy, and use DLC — all without leaving the game. Additionally, using Steamworks' DLC does not close off your other channels. You are still free to sell the content at retail, either with other online sites or through the Steam store.

Anti-cheat

With true cheat detection, keep cheaters from ruining it for the rest of us. Extend the life and sales of your game by making sure that the game plays as you intended it to when you shipped.

Access from any computer

Your customers can sign in and use their game from any PC or Mac. Access to their games is based on a customer account, not tied to a computer. Plus, with built-in offline mode, your customers can play on laptops when traveling — or anywhere else.

Voice chat

With built-in voice chat, players can talk to each other both inside and outside the game.

Having the game on Steam would definitely be a great idea in order to get more exposure as well as for user-simplified releases.

Players could easily pre-download the files before release date and post-release getting Steam updates would make it much easier on your everyday end-user.

I would say go for it! That is...unless EA has a problem with it. Well, it' definitely an option.

lol Even if it stalls the release date, I am okay with it.

Focus should be on getting the multiplayer game released; nothing really matters until that happens and nothing will really be as effective in growing the active members of the community.

Releasing the game on Steam is certainly a good idea, but I feel as if it would be another sidetrack from the real goal (similar to how Black Dawn was). Black Dawn was an decent game, but it really didn't bring us any closer to a complete multiplayer game nor did it bring more attention to this project. Anyone who has been around the Renegade X community for some time has seen how many people have disappeared over the ~4 years. If we still had access to all of the threads from the old forum, the new people would be able to see as well.

The sad reality is that no matter how good of a game the multiplayer content is, it won't be any fun if there is nobody left to play it with anymore. And that would be a shame if it ever happened, because this is amazing project.

Steam is probably a good idea to attract even more players. However, if you decide to release it there, please also release a standalone version if possible. I don't want to be forced to use steam if the standalone alternative exists.

And, in case Origin comes up as an alternative, I just have to say it's repulsive and I've not seen anything like it (in a bad way). It's just.. no.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your hard work!

So... RenX will not go on Steam, but it will be on something else?And I don't really think the older guys have left us yet. At least the most of them. I personally think everyone who followed this game, and doesn't anymore, still check it out sometimes, for nostalgia reasons or just to see if the multiplayer standalone came out.What some admins do at other forums, is that they send a PM to everyone if something big comes out or something. And most people should receive that in their email. Right? ^^

Would it be free to put this game on Steam? If they're hosting it then I feel as though they would require some source of income from Ren-X or its players.

But as long as it's not a requirement and non-Steam users can play with Steam-users, then I'm fine either way.

As for the distribution, I had no problems with Black Dawn. 1 MB/sec download speed throughout the whole process, but then again, I only downloaded it in March.

So... RenX will not go on Steam, but it will be on something else?And I don't really think the older guys have left us yet. At least the most of them. I personally think everyone who followed this game, and doesn't anymore, still check it out sometimes, for nostalgia reasons or just to see if the multiplayer standalone came out.What some admins do at other forums, is that they send a PM to everyone if something big comes out or something. And most people should receive that in their email. Right? ^^

<-- joined 2008

You are spot on. I check back every month seeing if any news has come out. This has been going on since 2007 and I am not going to abandon this project anytime soon.

Steam would be an awesome idea because you can see when your friends are playing and even ask your friends to play with you. DO IT!

Yep ;) , ive been hanging around the forums since 2008.

when i got the first renegade-x beta, lol, i remmber it took me a full day to get it working :D , partly my fault :P , and when i tried to give it to my friends, they had trouble getting it to work on theirs :( , but in the end we all gave up, and decided to wait for another beta :( .

but since we all have steam, it would have been much easier back then.

i say it'd be a great idea, as it makes giving others the game much easier. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Steam would be an awesome idea because you can see when your friends are playing and even ask your friends to play with you. DO IT!

This +1

Renegade X would be a way bigger succes if it got added to steam. It wil be published for milions of players on release and everyone will try it out. Id go as far as say the succes of the game kinda depends on it.

As an example theres 4,4mill people online on steam right now. playing games watching promos for games, so on. and i never seen less than 1mil online.

And compared to most games out there.... Steam will Make you guys freaking heroes of the world for making renegade X! (you are still heroes in my eyes ;) )

Its all about Spreading the word of the game the best and fastes way possible. Steam is awesome at doing just that. :)

• Totem Arts Staff

Ideally we should release both on Steam and Origin to be honest.

There are of course certain code additions necessary for both which is something that needs to be looked into.

Not to mention Steam requiring achievements built into the games released ... which has become mandatory afaik.

Though I would not be opposed to such things, they're obviously secondary to what we really need to build, which is a solid multiplayer game.

Don't be surprised if you hear more on this in the future.

I've just returned from 5 days of london, and it while I was there, I got an idea.Why don't we go to the strike team crew and ask them if they could publish the game on their website too? They're dedicated to keeping the westwood games online (even sole survivor :D ), and the community (most of them diehard C&Cers) could give a nice addition to the active community, which we could use in the forums currently. :PI would consider it, it would be easier to spread the word this way, and since most steam players aren't really experienced with command and conquer, we could get some more frequent players this way. :)

Steam requiring achievements built into the games released ... which has become mandatory afaik.

I don't think there mandatory some of the new games coming out on steam don't have achievements however I think there highly recommended

• 1 month later...

Just dropping in late to say I support this. A ton of F2P (free to play) games have hit Steam including mods and whatnot. The release day for Renegade X SP was indeed a disaster and the file was nearly impossible to download unless it was via torrent. Origin is still a decent client (no where near Steam), but EA just forces players to use it to play PC versions of their games which I personally think is wrong.

FYI: Crysis 2 (Complete w/ DLC) was recently released on Steam so don't think EA has abandoned Steam just yet. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to be very game specific what deal you can make with Steam. They happily take a look at a demo of your game (when its almost complete) and then if they like it they will work out a deal with you. Renegade X will be totally free and it would be one of the biggest free games on Steam. I think having some free games on their platform should be good for them so it should be a win win situation for both sides. But of course we will talk to EA about hosting it on Origin first. They let us use their IP and they were always nice to us. Ideally ofcourse we would like Renegade X to be both on Origin and Steam.

• 1 month later...

Because of the many non-serious entries submitted to Greenlight after its launch Valve is now charging $100 for new submissions. They're donating 100% to a charity but I still think it's pretty ridiculous. I suppose this effectively kills the chance of non-commercial projects like Renegade X to go on Greenlight.

I'm sure other members of the team would contribute if we were to put it on Steam but I'd gladly pay all of it if need be. We've worked so hard for so long $100 is a small fee to get it into the hands of more people. I think we all want to relive the old school Renegade days and we need busy servers to do that although I think we'll have that before we put it on Steam.

• 6 months later...

Steam is great i had it since it came out.it has gamers all over 5 million daily i have seen maybe more.it has a great community and workshops where people can add mods for games skins etc.. free for people to download if they want to try it.It also has groups you can join for any games or make your own groups for free. it's a great community of gamers.

when Usa and Iraq war was going on i made these skins and put them in game just screwng around i know no big deal anyone can do that but hey got it on fileplanet for years before they were archived lots of uploads it got.

hope the pics work.

57c9ee919444c_gdiflags.JPG.cd924a01aa6af92d4f00a358710e3b18.JPG

57c9ee91964a7_nodflags.JPG.d985fa8b0a68e76e7530e58e6563e86d.JPG

I would personally really HATE to see Renegade X released on Steam. Why? Because Steam is a DRM client. Why would I want to run an additional program just to play my games? There is absolutely no point in it what so ever.

Please do not make this a Steam-game, as that would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

As the editbutton is broken I appologise for a doublepost and will ask any moderator to merge my two posts, thank you.

Edit to post above: That being said, I do not mind if the game is released on Steam as well, choice (Even though Steam is pointless) is always good. Just make sure the game can run on its own as well, please.

• Totem Arts Staff

Look on the bright side;

Steam has a large user base that could prolong the lifetime significantly of Renegade-X, get people into making their own maps and extending the community beyond the dedicated fanbase. It might revitalise C&C a bit or just Renegade.

I hope the unique gameplay of Ren-X will at least be appreciated by newcomers in this day and age.

It seems preferable over Origin which is a lot more malignant and buggy than steam at this point in time.

I would just like to clarify that steam does not have to be online to play the games you have, it is the game companies that make their games drm and those are the ones you have to play online valve has or steam you call it has an offline mode to,so games you bought that are not drm you can play offline.

The details are on the store page to let you know if you need internet or not.If it says steam play then you can still play games offline just have to have steam running.I have over 800-900 games on steam.I have lots of drm and non drm and lots with there own launchers.easy make desktop shortcut run it from there if you don't want to have steam on,Just read before you buy games it will let you know if you need internet or not.

Steam is not drm some games are that gaming companies put on steam.

Hope that helps thanks.

P.S They also have lots of free2play games now.

Origin as well is not a DRM client. Battlefied 3 doesn't require you to be logged into Origin to play. Now granted they do require you have an internet connection, but that's through the game now the client origin. Origin would be my first choice for distribution.

I still check on the progress from time to time myself. Still can't find a game that excited me like the old Renegade used too. If I can throw my two cents in.... this is a no brainer if it is possible for the followign reasons:

1. To even have a CHANCE of getting a significant playerbase, Renegade must get as much free exposure as possible.

2. This is an alien game mode to many players (COD, Battlefield etc....) Once again, maximum exposure would be beneficial.

3. Steam has proven to be mod friendly since the days of Half Life. Surely further development could benefit by sparking interest the last bastion of consolodated modders - sharing a similar connection point (steam).

Steam is a must for Renegade X. this will allow maximum exposure, and is a far more popular choice over Origin or uPlay. can't wait! there just not any games out right now worth playing MP. FarCry3 was a joke. Crysis 3 is pretty much dead already. hate CoD. so that leaves BF3, and thats getting boring! bring on Ren X :)

As an avid Steam user who enjoys the easy game management, friend management, automatic updates, and amazing Steam support, I believe this is a necessary change.

A more realistic number for the total number of Steam users is more like 8-10 million users with a daily average of 4.3 million logging in and actively participating in games, chats, or groups.

Steam is an amazing platform to get games out there - ESPECIALLY free games. Steam users also have the ability to publicly recommend games on their profiles and the game can become featured with enough downloads or upvotes.

Steam groups give a great way for Steam users to discuss the game, make suggestions, join events/see announcements, and get more users to these fair Forums.

Yeah, I'm a new user to the Renegade-X community, but I've taken a recent interest in it after years in the Renegade business.

Cheers,

OSTKCabal

• 3 weeks later...

Steam could give this game a huge bump in popularity, but could pull in a certain group of players... Spyrigin wouldn't be such a good thing because I'm pretty sure people wouldn't use it if they were not forced to.