Radar Discussion

stefano119415174

• Former Developers

I actually do prefer not being able to see enemies in the radar as it adds some stealth and suprise to the game. One idea I had was to make the system so you dont see any enemies but rather if anyone in your team targets an enemy, they would appear in the radar for a little while. So a kind of dynamic radar which still has some stealth elements to it.

QUOTE (Havoc89 @ Oct 3 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually do prefer not being able to see enemies in the radar as it adds some stealth and suprise to the game. One idea I had was to make the system so you dont see any enemies but rather if anyone in your team targets an enemy, they would appear in the radar for a little while. So a kind of dynamic radar which still has some stealth elements to it.[/b]

I thought that was the original plan in the first place?

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (Havoc89 @ Oct 3 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually do prefer not being able to see enemies in the radar as it adds some stealth and suprise to the game. One idea I had was to make the system so you dont see any enemies but rather if anyone in your team targets an enemy, they would appear in the radar for a little while. So a kind of dynamic radar which still has some stealth elements to it.[/b]

That was my idea <_< lol

Well it can be argued that great minds think alike.

Adding enemies to the radar completely destroys (what I see) as crucial elements of the game.

I'd no longer be able to ambush 1k snipers with soldiers or officers.

I'd no longer be able to sneak or hide in enemy buildings. - If someone just happens to spawn in the building I managed to work myself into, they'd just see me on the radar, the scream bloody murder until the whole team is on me piranhas.

Just no more sneaking in general.

I can't account for others, but I find sneaking to be fun. Somethin' about the suspense as an enemy passes by is just thrilling. Now, the classic Renegade isn't flashy, isn't realistic, and has its flaws, but it's a fun game - and isn't that what it's all about? Fun!

QUOTE (Coura @ Oct 3 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adding enemies to the radar completely destroys (what I see) as crucial elements of the game.
I'd no longer be able to sneak or hide in enemy buildings. - If someone just happens to spawn in the building I managed to work myself into, they'd just see me on the radar, the scream bloody murder until the whole team is on me piranhas.

I can't account for others, but I find sneaking to be fun. Somethin' about the suspense as an enemy passes by is just thrilling. Now, the classic Renegade isn't flashy, isn't realistic, and has its flaws, but it's a fun game - and isn't that what it's all about? Fun![/b]

This, I like the whole 'seeing enemies on radar' thing, makes it feel a bit like chess (except you don't know what 'piece' the enemy is). But I like sneaking more.

• Former Developers
QUOTE (punko24 @ Oct 3 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WQell thats what a radar is lol but i did like the surprise and it dosent see stealth (i think in Ren-X) but ya i dont rlly care, maby keep it :D [/b]

The reason you say that right now is because you can see names of people from miles away and you can see them in the radar. But with those things fixed, you will definatly see a lot of stealth.

QUOTE (Coura @ Oct 3 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't account for others, but I find sneaking to be fun. Somethin' about the suspense as an enemy passes by is just thrilling. Now, the classic Renegade isn't flashy, isn't realistic, and has its flaws, but it's a fun game - and isn't that what it's all about? Fun![/b]

What he said.

QUOTE (Coura @ Oct 3 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is also true, though. Now I'm torn between two sides :lol: . I guess an enemy only appearing on radar after he's been hit at least once is a better solution so stealth can remain as it is. How long should he stay on radar after having rehiddin, though?

QUOTE (Havoc89 @ Oct 3 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has someone valid points that are against this ? Cause currently tha plan is to change it to this system.

Nah, I think that system would be an acceptable compromise, because you can keep doing your stealthy ninja stuff as long as no one targets you with their reticule, which, if you're doing your ninja stuff correctly in the first place, means it will be exactly the same as before, until your cover is blown anyways, at which point it doesn't matter if you show up on the radar for 4 seconds (or however long).

Also renamed the topic.

the enemy should be shown as long as he is in the FOV of a friendly unit, and for a couple of seconds after he left the FOV ...

i not like to talk about later versions, cuz i know there is still alot to do, but maybe in the future on custom maps there could be a building what

makes enemies (in a decent range around the base) visible ... the comcenter or conyard ... maybe it also could detect stealthed units (ONLY ON RADAR NOT FOR THE PLAYERS VIEW)

I would prefer that server administrators have the option to customize what the radar shows and doesn't show, just like in C&C Renegade. Then everyone wins, as Michael Scott from The Office says: win-win-WIN!

I really like being able to sneak around. It adds the element of surprise.

"Professional" servers may choose to have the radar show everyone, simply because that is what a radar in a literal sense is for. But I think this only applies in a literal sense. Reality != virtuality (computers/gaming/Internet). Because of this, I think having the radar only show teammates works out better in a computer game than to realistically show everything.

But again, I'd personally prefer the ability (as a server option) to customize what can and can't be seen.

As far as the FOV targeting system goes, I would like the option (from server admin point of view) to be able to customize it with the same flexibility is the radar. I'm more nostalgic and would personally prefer having the FOV targeting system off, because in real life you don't see that and it adds more element of surprise and requires the player to pay more attention to the environment.

I use to turn full radar on all my servers. I always felt it improved gameplay of small games by weakening the randomness of a match and making defense on rush maps more viable. Stealth units are more important because they are the only units invisible on radar - although if you buy a technician in your stealth tank the technician will be visible. True sneakers have to go stealth hand - stealth tank to achieve full stealth, and be at a big disadvantage if they do so. I don't know if thats the way it works in renegade-x yet, but i will assume so.

Just my two cents

1) I personally do not like being able to see my enemies on my radar, it means they can see me.

2) It should work like Renegade's radar and have a server side option to turn it on or off.

3) I really thinkthe best way to do this is...to implement a radar building. While the building if operational (alive and with power) you can see enemies on your radar. After you lose the building or lose power you are no longer able to see enemies, only friendlies.

QUOTE (PermaGrin @ Oct 5 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3) I really thinkthe best way to do this is...to implement a radar building. While the building if operational (alive and with power) you can see enemies on your radar. After you lose the building or lose power you are no longer able to see enemies, only friendlies.[/b]

I think this is a really cool idea. I'm curious to see how it would add/remove to the gameplay! :D It would definitely add another obstacle (feature that can be taken away by other team by brute force).

Why not have a combination of enemies appearing on the radar when targeted, and them appearing on the radar when they shoot?

I dunno, I just like the idea of having ambushes like that. You know, you're driving along, not noticing the bunch of rocket soldiers hidden in one spot. Your radar's clear, all you see is yourself, and some other guy in the distance. Then, all of a sudden, it's all "OMG RED DOTS EVERYWHERE". Then you get hit with 10 rockets.

Or, well, gold dots if you're Nod getting ambushed.

But still, the system functions in identifying immediate threats who are trying to kill you, but still rewards people who are stealthy, as well as people who are perceptive.

QUOTE (TigerXtrm @ Oct 7 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And how exactly would that work on maps that don't have a radar building? The native maps at least simply don't have them and never will have them, so that idea would create an unbalance between maps.[/b]

Just have it as a specialy option, IE on a server that runs maps with bigger bases

I like the idea of having people show up when they are targeted. Preferably not immidiately but if for instance 0,5 seconds of having the targeting reticle on someone, before the silouette dissapears on someone.

I don't like the idea of having people show up on the radar when they shoot. Many people have died simply because they couldn't figure out where the enemy was exactly shooting from, shoot, jump behind a wall and have them try and find you. What's the use of sneaking up on some snipers and them immediately knowing where you are after you shoot the first one? They should listen, even renegade itself had a great sound, with just my 2 speakers I could figure out the general direction from where someone was shooting. If you aren't paying attention to that, then it's bad luck to you and see you at the respawn.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (TigerXtrm @ Oct 7 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And how exactly would that work on maps that don't have a radar building? The native maps at least simply don't have them and never will have them, so that idea would create an unbalance between maps.[/b]

Have you ever played a fan map ever? Lots of them have extra buildings. There is no "balance." You're trying to find a problem that doesn't exist. If the map doesn't have the Comm Center, then obviously it plays the same as the default maps. If it does, then it has a little extra. Nothing else.

QUOTE (Mighty BOB! @ Oct 18 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever played a fan map ever? Lots of them have extra buildings. There is no "balance." You're trying to find a problem that doesn't exist. If the map doesn't have the Comm Center, then obviously it plays the same as the default maps. If it does, then it has a little extra. Nothing else.[/b]

You misunderstood what he said. He is basically saying he agrees with the idea of the comm center adding that radar function, but he doesn't like the idea of altering the original maps.

Adding another structure to the original maps WILL change the gameplay of those maps.