Renegade X - September '09 Update!

[NE]Fobby[GEN]

• Totem Arts Staff

renxsept09header.png

Welcome to the second pre-release Renegade X update. Here we are, only a few days away from our first release.

Are you ready?

This update contains a lot of important pre-release information. I would recommend reading it in its entirety - it's a bit lengthy, but definitely worth your time if you are interested in this mod!

Contents in this update:

1. Renegade X: Beta Version 0.35

2. September '09 Podcast

3. Renegade X Ingame Screenshots

4. "How to Play" information post available!

5. Guest Event Feedback

6. List of Content to be added after first release

7. Unreal Tournament 3 Sales

September 30th is quickly approaching!

That's right! As we announced in our previous update, the first release will be available on September 30th 2009, which is just a few days away. For future reference, the incoming beta version will be referred to by us as both the Renegade X Beta 1 or Renegade X Beta Version 0.35. The expression "0.35" is the version number, and it is there to emphasize that the first release is an early version of the mod - about "35%" of what our final release will be in terms of content.

If you're wondering what kind of content we're planning on adding, there is a list later in this post. After the 0.35 release, we will be steadily adding more weapons, vehicles, maps, modes, animations, and more! We also plan on fixing any possible glitches and unbalances we may run into as the mod is played in its beta state.

September '09 Podcast:

We've got a new podcast for you guys. In this edition, Fobby, Havoc89, and Avalanche discuss several topics, including:

-September 30th Release

-Future Releases

-Renegade X Server Client

-Work opportunities for animators and character artists

-And of course, our usual jokes here and there

Download the podcast today by clicking the following link!

http://www.renegade-x.com/staff/RenX_Sept09_Podcast.rar

Screenshots!

Here's some screenshots our beta testers have taken throughout testing the mod:

Obown.jpg

screenshot00041m.jpg

screenshot00046.jpg

screenshot00054.jpg

screenshot00062.jpg

screenshot00044.jpg

unreal320090920122943.jpg

unreal320090920124341a.jpg

How to Play

We'll be releasing a video tutorial on release day, but for those of you who don't know too much about Renegade X's game mode Command & Conquer mode, or are simply rusty, the following "how to play" walk-through will definitely help you on your way.

http://www.renegade-x.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=2909

Guest Event Feedback!

Last week, the Renegade X invited some special guests from around the community for an opportunity to try an early version of the Renegade X v0.35 beta build. Some of these guests that came included 2POC, who is the "second in command" community manager at EALA, RyanTheHeretic from Planet CNC, Arnyswart of Exodus, and Chris Pham from FilePlanet. Fortunately, these three special guests gave positive feedback after trying Renegade X. Here's what some of them had to say:

2POC (http://www.commandandconquer.com): I was very impressed with how detailed the maps were, and how true they were to the originals. I think that's going to make modding people very excited... I'm sure a lot of people haven't played Renegade in a while and I know they're going to boot this game up and they're going to remember everything from the original. They'll get that nostalgic feeling, only a lot better, because the graphics for this are ten times better... I'm gonna try to definitely get a lot of them [EA] to play it, because I know a lot of them were Renegade fans, so if we get time when we're not working, I'm sure we can get some of them to play. That would be awesome. I've been looking forward to this mod for a while, I mean it's the only reason why I bought Unreal Tournament :P I'm sure there are others that work here that are excited as well.

Chris Pham (http://www.fileplanet.com): Gameplay was fun, and when we had 8-9 people on each side playing it was exciting... I must say Totem Art's mod creation not only matches the original game studio but even surpasses it in some departments...Renegade-X just looks banging. This mod is leaps and bounds much better looking than the original game with all the vehicle, units, weapons, and maps looking and feeling like the genuine deal but with a good facelift. The special effects, physics, and sounds of the vehicles, gun fire, and explosions are all upgrade and make a definite impact. Renegade-X has no problem making a good first impression.

RyanTheHeretic (http://www.planetcnc.gamespy.com): I've been waiting to play Renegade X ever since it was announced. Thankfully, the wait has been worth it. Sure, it's not the finished deal, but it's a damn good recreation of Renegade and an extremely well put together piece of work. The graphics are fantastic (have I mentioned how SWEET the MLRS looks when it fires?) and the gameplay is just as good as Renegade was, if not better thanks to the Unreal engine. It's updated enough to feel like a good use of my HDD space, but classic enough to remind me why I loved Renegade so much to begin with. Consider me impressed.

Arnyswart (http://www.exoduscommunity.com): The Renegade X developers have recreated the “feelâ€

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got me here counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds, milliseconds, nanoseconds, Cant Wait !!!!!!!!

i wish just the download was now, and servers up on sep 30.

i just hope a lot of people downloading the mod and servers up the same time/day don't affect game play (lag).

but you guys probably thought about that already and your servers can handle it.

lmao

Really looking forward to playing it ;)

First of all, Damn nice update, especially with the 'how to play' already in for the new people to read up on.

I noticed a few things though:

The timed C4 deals 2/5 damage against a building. There are only 2 timed and 1 remote neccesary to blow up a building.

It's nice to see that the health of the vehicle are all displayed as a total (the mammoth tank has 1200 health instead of 600 health and 600 armor) and that the health of your character is displayed below that even when you are inside the vehicle. But what is that armor sign doing there when you are out of your vehicle? As far as I can see health and armor are both compressed into one just like with the vehicles. Which would also imbalance the game as armor didn't save you from a fall, only health did. Am I wrong or is that something you still have to set right?

The Nod engineer must have been force feeding or something, he looks like he weighs 150 kilo's or more!

Edit: it's fobby! you've been gaining weigth?

As for retracting a vote for drivable harvs, do you really think you will MAKE it that far? It's the slowest vehicle in the game! It's not as if you can use it as a stealthy infiltrator.

Yours sincerely,

Demigan.

OMG, I just can't wait! I've just got my copy of UT3 yesterday for £5.99 so I'm well pleased with that!

Looking forward to getting on the UK server :) I'm off work that day so get it up ASAP.

Just a quick note, how many players will the servers be for? 16, 20, 24, 28, 32?

Just wanna say well done to all the modders who've put this together, it's an amazing mod and I bet you guys can't wait to get more finished!

Tilly

QUOTE (WNxTilly @ Sep 27 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, I just can't wait! I've just got my copy of UT3 yesterday for £5.99 so I'm well pleased with that!

Looking forward to getting on the UK server :) I'm off work that day so get it up ASAP.

Just a quick note, how many players will the servers be for? 16, 20, 24, 28, 32?

Just wanna say well done to all the modders who've put this together, it's an amazing mod and I bet you guys can't wait to get more finished!

Tilly[/b]

There's something called a 'faq'. Check it and you'll see for how many.

My bug spotting side of me is kicking in again...

I noticed that the warning announcements are among the normal chat. Such as "NOD refinery is under attack!" or so.

So I was thinking why they couldn't be written on red text? I mean that when a warning message is directed to your team it would be written on red letters so you could filter it out from the normal chat better than when it is written in white, the same color the rest of the chat is.

Even I haven't played original Renegade at all, I would imaginate that every building is precious and that's why it also would be better to have proper warning messages when they are under attack.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your mod getting released. ^_^

QUOTE (Mr. Weedy @ Sep 27 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that the warning announcements are among the normal chat. Such as "NOD refinery is under attack!" or so.

So I was thinking why they couldn't be written on red text? I mean that when a warning message is directed to your team it would be written on red letters so you could filter it out from the normal chat better than when it is written in white, the same color the rest of the chat is.

Even I haven't played original Renegade at all, I would imaginate that every building is precious and that's why it also would be better to have proper warning messages when they are under attack.[/b]

You will find lots of details like that in the build that are not done yet simply because we didnt had the time to do all details yet, but we still want to give you the opportunity to already start playing and testing. If there are not that many bugs in the release we will have time to include much more details like the one you mentioned in the next releases (The thing you mentioned is definatly something that we will include later on). Although we know of most details that are still missing, feel free to post about what you think is missing in the beta forum once its up.

QUOTE (Mr. Weedy @ Sep 27 2009, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even I haven't played original Renegade at all, I would imaginate that every building is precious and that's why it also would be better to have proper warning messages when they are under attack.

But anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your mod getting released. ^_^[/b]

If they make them RED Nod would be a little screwed then :P

My misspeling Sensors have reached critical levels ! you wrote NOD , it's Nod ! Nod is not an acronym ! you are not a true CnC fan until you stop making such a simple mistake! :lol: (jk... but im getting tired of seeing that...) Just change it for BON ;p

QUOTE (punko24 @ Sep 27 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i got im ma new gfx card xD
AMAZING for 65$ xD

Test 01 - UT3...

Resuilt:
Resolution: 1024x768
Settings: Hgh
AA: 8x
Speed: Good-Smooth
Next test updating soon... when i get more ram lol i need 2 sticks not 1 for speed :D
Ima Ready xD[/b]

What type of card did you get?

QUOTE (punko24 @ Sep 27 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i got im ma new gfx card xD
AMAZING for 65$ xD

Test 01 - UT3...

Resuilt:
Resolution: 1024x768
Settings: Hgh
AA: 8x
Speed: Good-Smooth
Next test updating soon... when i get more ram lol i need 2 sticks not 1 for speed :D
Ima Ready xD[/b]

in UT, theres no big difference between AA 4X and AA 8X. save yourself some performance hit. drop it at 4X and raise your resolution to get he real power of your card. at a min of 1280*1024

The one thing that's bugging me atm is that outline of the units. It's great thats it's finally been wrapped properly but I'm not sure about it sticking in the foreground. Ie, the green lines should be behind the engineer. (not visible where the engi is)

Although this can easily be avoided if you switch to the 1st person view.

I could be wrong though, just my opinion! :)

Brilliant update again, you guys are doing great. Ugh, I am now resenting the fact that I'm a broke college student and I have a mediocre laptop, otherwise I would jump on the Renegade beta.

On a side note, I'll agree with some others that the HUD doesn't work. It's too monochrome and flat, and at times becomes hard to even see.

QUOTE (Doomgiver @ Sep 28 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question for the release of the beta at September 30th, when I saw at your Moddb page the new screenshot of the Renegade X menu:

Will the beta already contain full bot support or do you plan to add it later?[/b]

Read the update...

No bots are implemented yet, but in the future its a possibility.

QUOTE (An4x1madr0s @ Sep 27 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they make them RED Nod would be a little screwed then :P

My misspeling Sensors have reached critical levels ! you wrote NOD , it's Nod ! Nod is not an acronym ! you are not a true CnC fan until you stop making such a simple mistake! :lol: (jk... but im getting tired of seeing that...) Just change it for BON ;p[/b]

If you look at the second picture it says "NOD Airstrip under attack" so you might have to get used to it

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Sep 28 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nod = National Organization on Disability :lol:

(not laughing at disabled people btw) ;) [/b]

well when i read NOD or Nod on a C&C website or forum ,the first thing i think isnt national organization on disability :P so if its write with or without cap .. i dont really care, cause i know what it mean

QUOTE (punko24 @ Sep 28 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 days xD cant wait :D

btw my gfx is XFX nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512 DDR3 xD

will this mod let me get a connection to server...i got 1 once but it wont let me connect to any servers :( "Connection Has Failed") even when its loading :( [/b]

connection to server? which one? connection has failed to connect where? if its under UT3, check your firewall, maybe it block UT3. if its anythings else, explain

QUOTE (=HT=Duro @ Sep 28 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well when i read NOD or Nod on a C&C website or forum ,the first thing i think isnt national organization on disability :P so if its write with or without cap .. i dont really care, cause i know what it mean[/b]

hah xD

I thought Kane thought his baldness was a disability. Hence NOD :P
GDI stands for Global Defense Initiative, I'm pretty sure NOD does stand for something.

QUOTE (BLaZor @ Sep 28 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hah xD

I thought Kane thought his baldness was a disability. Hence NOD :P
GDI stands for Global Defense Initiative, I'm pretty sure NOD does stand for something.[/b]

how about it stands for the biblical 'land of Nod'? I'm not sure what the hell it means for holy christian things but there are lots and lots of references to the bible in the C&C universe. Pictures of Kane and Abel and other simbols. Kane himself actually has a great resemblance to the biblical Kane figure, who was described almost the same as the Kane we see in the game.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

• Totem Arts Staff
QUOTE (Demigan @ Sep 28 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how about it stands for the biblical 'land of Nod'? I'm not sure what the hell it means for holy christian things but there are lots and lots of references to the bible in the C&C universe. Pictures of Kane and Abel and other simbols. Kane himself actually has a great resemblance to the biblical Kane figure, who was described almost the same as the Kane we see in the game.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

I think the original idea behind Kane was that he would be the son of Adam, brother of Abel, aka the one who committed the first Biblical murder. Apparently he was doomed to the land of Nod because of that murder, which is supposed to explain his immortality. But this was just their idea in 1995, this could have [and probably did] change either by Tiberian Sun or after that.

Other religious references include the Marked of Kane, Seth crucified in the Temple of Nod, etc.

QUOTE (Demigan @ Sep 28 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.[/b]

Definitely agree there. I'm not too clued up about the bible, but I can see the similarities between those two.

QUOTE ((NE)Fobby(GEN) @ Sep 28 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the original idea behind Kane was that he would be the son of Adam, brother of Abel, aka the one who committed the first Biblical murder. Apparently he was doomed to the land of Nod because of that murder, which is supposed to explain his immortality. But this was just their idea in 1995, this could have [and probably did] change either by Tiberian Sun or after that.

Other religious references include the Marked of Kane, Seth crucified in the Temple of Nod, etc.[/b]

Yup, hence their full title is "Brotherhood of NOD."
Isn't Tiberian Sun a different universal from the regular numbered Command and Conquer series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Nod

Quite an interesting read at the bottom. I didn't think games could have this level of depth when it comes to the story lines. :)

Monday evening here in the west. A day and a half left to "Ren-X". Woot!

Cant wait - but I have to (tears)

Will there be an option to host a LAN server? I am hosting a LAN Party on the 23 & 24th of October and had hoped to have Renegade-X as one of the games that we will be playing?

Thanks for everything guys as a number of us have been saying for a long time, the mod looks awesome and many of us who still play Renegade regularly are most anxious to play the new mod.

See you on Wednesday - IF I can get on the one of the servers

Wiz