Another mines question... cause ya know we havent talked about them nearly enough....

isupreme

Could we  set things up so a very small population server could start a map with some basic mines in place at the beginning?

Was this ever discussed or tried?

It seems like several good purposes could be achieved with this.  Maybe the plan does not use All the Mines, but leaves some available?

1.  Small population servers could make better/longer use of some maps where mines are essential - but don't always get placed by inexperienced players.

2. Inexperienced player can see solid basic mining practices - and maybe emulate them later...

3. Might allow the use of stronger bots without sacrificing the base..  .

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I agree yeah, one of the ideas I've come up with a while ago is mine outlines on door, 3 per. You can't really be said you're mining wrong if you're just placing 3 a door + have them snap into place so people know they're doing it right. It'll still allow people to use mines in smarter ways by removing a few mines from buildings and placing placing elsewhere while newer players won't do a dumb and place them in the middle of nowhere on field

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

I've demo'd many changes to mines to see what could work. For example, the proxy radius being shown.

Some other things that never made it into the game were sockets on each building meshes at specific positions that would show "hologram" mines while holding mines, to show where mines are recommended to be placed. This could be a solely building-specific thing, and the players would have to figure out where to place any spare mines, or it could be extended to allow mappers to add suggested mine spots.

I personally think setting a "preferred" or showing specifically where mines should go is a little too far, but maybe thats because I've played for so long and I don't fully appreciate the new player experience.

• Like 1

Yeah  I find the  " preferred" to be a step too far.    -- - But i still feel there is some room for making some auto placed mines possible in small team matches......where often mining is neglected and the result is matches ending quickly and suddenly.

Maybe asking for some maps to be equipped for very small teams and designated as such, is a step too far as well, but it doesn't feel like it.  We increasingly have servers active with very small teams.   Off hours, or when the ONE server is full...     Increasing the fun in these situations could be a big boost to our player numbers overall.

• Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff

oh god mines xD

i mean this debate will go on until the end of time i think.

Although that is an interesting "handicap" proposed. Could fix alot of the base defense problems for smaller pop matches or vs BOT rounds

I mean personally Im all for removing the need for building mines & having purchasable laser defenses. but that's a whole 'nother can of worms for sure.