Suggestion: Commanders approve team switching

ex_member

We had the topics about team switching  and different approaches have been tried so far.

How about the team switch has to be approved by commander / commanders ?

If there is no commander in the game,  then the team switching could be allowed without approval or disabled until commanders are elected ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roweboat said:

I like the concept.

"player2348 wants to join your team. Accept? F1 Reject? F2"

"player1167 wants to abandon your team. Accept? F1 Reject? F2"

How about focus on the positive side and the benefits instead of sticking to this example ?

Even in that case there are stats about that player telling how many points he has, vehicles destroyed, kills, veterancy.
I see benefit for commander where player names are familiar and are telling the commander who is about to leave or join .

Edited by ex_member

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, ex_member said:

How about focus on the positive side and the benefits instead of sticking to this example ?

Even in that case there are stats about that player telling how many points he has, vehicles destroyed, kills, veterancy.
I see benefit for commander where player names are familiar and are telling the commander who is about to leave or join .

I'm interested to hear better ideas 😃

True, nevertheless they are in charge and should decide about who can leave or join their team. 

No, thank you, not with that level of control, If I'm on a team with a bad commander I want the freedom to leave the team, without their approval nor the approval of the opposing commander, and especially if it's some mid game commander vote mutiny crap going on. If someone is deliberately stacking one side I think that's a job for a moderator to oversee.

True, nevertheless they are in charge and should decide about who can leave or join their team. 

I don't think a public commander should have as much power or influence as the leader of a clan on a public server nor as much say as one might have in picking his/her team during a PUG.

If there was a situation where one team had 2 or more players, then I wouldn't be against something that randomly selected a random player from the larger team list to join the smaller team and give both commanders a yes/no vote to either approve or veto someone whom might not make that much difference or they wouldn't want leaving because they're a key player, let the process continue until both commanders approve a transfer of someone for the sake of making a match fairer.

Maybe give a commander an ability to 'request' a player from the opposition team or 'swap' a player on their own team, but ultimately let the player choose if they want to switch sides or not.

I'd also not be against giving them a power to kick AFK players without needing to call in a vote.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

If there was a situation where one team had 2 or more players, then I wouldn't be against something that randomly selected a random player from the larger team list to join the smaller team and give both commanders a yes/no vote to either approve or veto someone whom might not make that much difference or they wouldn't want leaving because they're a key player, let the process continue until both commanders approve a transfer of someone for the sake of making a match fairer.

It seems like it might make more sense to just pick a random player and ask them "Teams are unbalanced; would you like to change teams?" and maybe make that player immune from a loss for that match on the leaderboard as a minor reward.

In general, I don't think commanders should really have any direct power to force a player to do or not do anything. Commanders in the game aren't really meant to be dictators for the game, they're just there to help organize the team and encourage team play.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Agent said:

In general, I don't think commanders should really have any direct power to force a player to do or not do anything. Commanders in the game aren't really meant to be dictators for the game, they're just there to help organize the team and encourage team play.

I agree with Agent,.

I'm from the old Ren days , there was no team switching.

I see ppl switching teams, stacking up good players on one side to constantly dominate. Sux the fun right our the playing.

my 2 cents

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ex_member said:

Perhaps because you are a part of the team in a team-play game and he is leading the team !

laughs in teams with no commander or solo commander

Commanders already have to put up with all the stuff that is happening on the field/tunnels/whatever place exist on the map. So making them also decide if a random player needs to switch or not will most likely just add even more frustration and will make commander role less and less likeable.

And let's not forget new players who will be in commander's shoes for the first time. They are already have to deal with new powers, having an ability to control harvester and getting tons of good(and not so) ideas for rushes/tactics. Having to deal with controlling the fate of random player who they see for the first time will add extra pressure onto existing one............

.......if people will find out that commander role even exist in this game either by checking every single option or seeing one on servers.

Also, pls make text highlighting easier on mobile version. Highlighting the left edge is so tricky.

• Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff
43 minutes ago, roweboat said:

A game that has a strong emphasis on team play and team coordination lol

You'd be surprised what a player or 2 can do ^^. This isn't about teamplay or coordination. It's about personal decision of which team or faction to be on. Nobody "owes" anything to a team they were arbitrarily assigned to. Much like nationality.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has a balancing system like something agent is touching.
It has a few option, the option of balancing midgame usually is turned off but if a match ends with to many players on one team (the server owner can set the limit) the server starts balancing by asking players to change team to the one with fewer players for a small XP boost(unlocking cosmetics).
If enough players takes the offer the game begins if not the server start to force change people till the limit is reached, then the game begins again.

Imo its a pretty good system for what its worth.

• Like 3

Oh goody, team balance - my fav topic :P

I don't think giving the commander that sort of power is going to solve the problem, if anything it would compound it. Agent has the right line of thinking, and i've suggested somthing similar before. A solid refined shuffle system should be enough to remove a good 80% chunk of bad games but to address the 'rage quit' problem enticing people to join  the losing team via offering rewards for doing is a good counterbalance.

The team swap feature can't really be used to 'stack' as it only really works when a slot is open, which becomes difficult as everyone will try to flock to that winning team. Granted you can get 2 - 3 people together that way with timing and this is where a lot of this hostiliy comes from I think; it was a common tacktic for some people to go 'AFK' until a slot was open to switch to their friends team. The rage quits; where upwards of 5+ slots can open up has potential as people who want to 'play with friends' can do so, while also plugging the imbalance gap and balancing out both teams instead of what normally happens -- power getting horded to one side.

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, Sarie said:

You'd be surprised what a player or 2 can do ^^. This isn't about teamplay or coordination. It's about personal decision of which team or faction to be on. Nobody "owes" anything to a team they were arbitrarily assigned to. Much like nationality.

Certainly in many rounds (as is life), many matches are determined by the actions of a few people. (base sneaks, snipers etc)

I think if people choose to become invested in the team they are on (their teammates that round, the faction etc) in that moment and even fight to the bitter end then the desire or ability to switch sides becomes moot. Much like nationality.

Is that overdramatizing it all? Yes. But I think it's hellva lot more fun to become emotionally invested in matches =D

The overarching point I'm making. Give players less reason to switch and the problem solves itself 😃 

• Like 1

I prefer team-wide propositions... 

E.g. Nexus has requested trading their team mate jpj for kaunas. 

Every player on the opposing team to Nexus then votes F1 to accept trade of Jpj or F2 to refuse and keep Kaunas

Self-moderation at its finest. 

Ideal if the server is full.

As a player you may only make this vote once per 10 minutes - (so 1 player can't spam the shiz out of it)

The players being switched have 10 seconds to refuse the trade before the initial vote on them starts - initial voting lasts for 20 seconds. 

This has a hidden trick to teach players to read the HUD too which is tyrannically important