Some dynamics in the game

ex_member

• Totem Arts Staff

wellllllll .... you know there are always ways of faking dynamic things ... the majics of the udk is vast indeed ... as long as you know how to tame the majics that is

majics is a majical word that could mean that its not possible but then again i could be pissed as a fart and talking out my arse You shall never know untill i post some

MAJICS

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Hm, I don't think that "dynamic" lighting per se is the main problem: in the editor/SDK you effectively have dynamic lights before you build lights (e.g. sunlight) where light/shadows move with objects/buildings when you move them around. However, casting dynamic shadows for non-dominant lights, e.g. to avoid light bleeding from lights INSIDE buildings (see Refinery) might be a lot more costly...

Orig. Renegade went for pre-calculated interior lightmaps, which were already baked into the "diffuse" textures, if i remember correctly - this could be way of 

2 hours ago, kenz3001 said:

faking dynamic things

;)

Anyway, dynamic structures/tiberium fields would require a substantial overhaul of the game logic. Therefore, it might be even easier to rebuild a "RTS" mode from the ground up, but at the moment there are no resources to do so...

• Totem Arts Staff

no hax i can use a udk feature to make things majicly appear from another realm

this is just a test and has no relevance to the game right now as its only took me 5mins to slap together lights haven't been built coz this is just a proof of concept

EARS MAY BLEED

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Totem Arts Staff
On 9/3/2018 at 5:50 PM, kenz3001 said:

no hax i can use a udk feature to make things majicly appear from another realm

this is just a test and has no relevance to the game right now as its only took me 5mins to slap together lights haven't been built coz this is just a proof of concept

EARS MAY BLEED

But has it been tested in netplay? <- 

You know that's the age old UE3 question. 

• Totem Arts Staff

i remember playing black dawn in multplayer (janky as hell but worked back in beta might even work now) but all the majics in that worked ... but as i said on discord there would need to be some code for the server and client to save the picked random building for new players to load and having the game mode pick up the building in the hud

if any one is interest in what this majics is .... well its dark majics :P call LEVELSTREAMING where you take two or more maps and have one or more load on top of the base map

this can be used for more then just swapping out buildings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1