Disable nuke/ion planting below x players

TheOlsenTwins

Hi,

What do you think of disabling planting of super weapons below x (say 10 or 12) players).

I dont know how often the filling of a server has failed due to failed defense, and even without nukes/ions there are plenty of ways to kill buildings and let ppl ragequit. So why dont't we just disallow nuke/ion planting until x players are on the server?

Maybe try it before on the awesome AGN Server ? (btw. really loved the Mining markings on the map - will they come again?)

Honestly, there are problems with straight up disabling the use of beacons when under a player limit, since if a person quits after another player buys a beacon which then drops the player count beneath the threshold, they have effectively lost 1k credits until another player joins (or is killed) (and in a low pop game, that can be quite significant).

• Totem Arts Staff
16 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Honestly, there are problems with straight up disabling the use of beacons when under a player limit, since if a person quits after another player buys a beacon which then drops the player count beneath the threshold, they have effectively lost 1k credits until another player joins (or is killed) (and in a low pop game, that can be quite significant).

I agree with @TheOlsenTwins and many others who have been push for this for awhile. I think in a case like that, the needs of many outweight the needs of ... the one who just lost 1k.

• Totem Arts Staff

In any case, if this is officially added, you can just disable purchasing of beacons all together if the player count is low enough. While this would lead to a few beacons being planted below the threshold, it would alleviate the problem of wasting credits. 

You could also just check player count on planting and deny/refund the credits right then and there.

• Like 2

Let's keep it simple, if the total player count is below 18 (9v9) after the map changes/restarts then beacons are disabled, only when there are 20 or more players will beacons enable again after the map changes/restarts. <---- Mutator trial period to see if this benefits a server with a low population of players.

This would be the least conflicting way a mutator could and in my opinion should work. ("least conflicting" i.e. least likely to cause bugs on the server as well as least likely to cause players crashing)

Should this idea perform well and popularize then hardcode this into the base-game as a feature in the server settings, which is when the time will come for fancy live disabling/enabling of beacons via PT based on player quantity, without the need for a map restart/change <--- This is for devs to do at some point if the concept is favoured after an initial mutator trial period

Trial'n'error concepts with mutators, because that is how this game will improve without sacrificing the integrity of the base-game.

P.S. I am glad to see the AGN server adopting and trialing mutators into RenX

• Totem Arts Staff

Well, you can add more dynamic checking than that. It doesn't have to be on map loading/changing exclusively. You can see the current players at the time the PT is opened by a player and determine if you want the beacon to be purchasable or not from there.

Guest once upon the time
On 8.2.2018 at 7:16 PM, TheOlsenTwins said:

I dont know how often the filling of a server has failed due to failed defense, and even without nukes/ions there are plenty of ways to kill buildings and let ppl ragequit. So why dont't we just disallow nuke/ion planting until x players are on the server?

I think that's the starting point of the discussion and now where we are ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.2.2018 at 9:42 PM, SilentKnight said:

I think that's the starting point of the discussion and now where we are ?

So how about a mutator were you can´t buy a beacon when there are less then 20 players on the map ( 10 vs 10) but allows you to buy a beacon when there are 24 players on the map (12 vs 12) but not allowed to place it ( you get a message when you try to place it which says something like: " Player count to low to place a beacon" )  and after the player count reached 25 people you can place the beacon. For example you have a spy and want to bring a building down with an ion/nuke on a match where it is only 6 vs 6 it would be pretty "unfair" since it depends on the map and on the player count to react fast enough. Also you have allready an advantage with a spy... you can just grab a rep gun and run into a building to kill it... so no need to ion/nuke things on low player counts. But to be fair here... how about to implement a voting where everyone can vote for "low player count" beacons is allowed or not so people still have the chance to change it.

Greetings