Game launcher not working.

Hayden J Case

I've been having trouble getting the game to launch, I've downloaded the Installer, I've given it all the permissions it asks for, and yet when it's done I can't use the launcher, it just does nothing at all besides showing the loading courser for a couple of seconds, nothing even shows up in the task manager window. I don't know what to do, I've looked at the other pages of people having the same issue none of it seems to be helping, for reference I'm using windows 7, (I don't trust or like the newer ones, and I didn't see anything on the forum about windows 7 being incompatible) It also used to work on this same computer back in 2015, but I had to uninstall it a while back.

P.S. Sorry if this post seems a little... Unorganized/Informal I guess?? Never used any forum before. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Hayden,

Did you use the following file to install the game?

If so, can you confirm the version of the launcher and of the game (You can see both of these in the launcher window).

If they match the following details:

Launcher Version: Renegade-X Launcher v0.76

Game Version: Open Beta 5.293

You can see an example of a fully updated version of the game and launcher in this image

Can you then please run the following:

Settings -> Verify Game Integrity / Reset Game (Either option will work for this purpose)

Then try once more, If this still fails, we will need a log file from yourself to help diagnose this issue (if one is being created)

I did use that download, but I can't get the launcher window to open, in other words it doesn't actually do anything when I click on the launcher, so I can't verify my version (The installer works fine as far as I can tell). I've tried double clicking, right-click open, and opening the launcher from my documents, none of that works. Forgot to ask where I can find the installer version.

Edited by Hayden J Case
Forgot a question... Also I put the wrong word...

@Hayden J Case Do you have any overlay or overclock software running? Something like MSI Afterburner? If so, please disable that.

If you don't have any special software running and the launcher still wont show up, please download this debuglauncher -> LauncherDebug.zip

Place the folder called "LancherDebug" into your RenegadeX folder, run the "Renegade X Launcher.exe" file inside and report back all the messages it reports. This way I can pinpoint where the launcher refuses to start and if it is a launcher problem, or someting on your client.

Try the full build @Sarah! recommended as a last resort.

• Like 1

I clicked on Renegade X Laucher.exe in the debug folder, It said, Starting up launcher, Checking cmd arguments, Upgrade preformed reset, Starting the launcher, Setting-up mainwindow, Components initialized, ASYNC: Gameversion == null -> In UpdateVersionMethod, ASYNC: Trying to grab gameversion, ASYNC: Getting INI, ASYNC: CATCH on UpdateGameVersion, ASYNC: Version unknown -> ask to install game.

Then it asked to install the game in the normal window, (the one with the background art, not the setup wizard one, also the first time I got it to appear) then the debug window repeated itself until it reached Upgrade preformed reset, then after it finished downloading Renegade X, it asked to install the UE3 redistributable, and it's been repeatedly doing the "Initializing Download" for UE3Redlist, then a debug window said "Unable to download UE3 Redist (corrupt download)," Now there's no more windows popping up so I guess it's done.

I use Kaspersky for antivirus, no idea if that might cause any problems though.

Edited by Hayden J Case
Forgot something again...

So let me get this straight. The game is installed now, the UE3 redist did not install. If this is correct, download the UE3Redist.exe as @Sarah! mentioned. Install it (It is an installer needed to run the unreal engine) and try to start the normal launcher. If normal launcher doesn't work try the debug one again. If that doesn't work you have demons in your pc and I'll need to get my supply of holy water back :P

But seriously, try this and report. If it doesn't work I might need to cook up something different. 

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, Hayden J Case said:

Yeah, the normal one doesn't work at all, and the debug one won't take me past the UE3redist install screen. So should I try downloading the full build thing or what?

Looks like the only option at this point.

Okay, using the full game download worked, but now when Renegade X (32-bit,DX9) opens it either doesn't work, or it plays 2 seconds of audio from the opening movie, then it wait about 1 minute then play the rest of the audio, but the screens black and I can't do anything in the window. This is from me clicking launch game BTW. (I have a laptop so it can't handle game servers that well)

Edited by Hayden J Case
Apparently still having problems.

Sure, how do we do a debugging session exactly? And to be more specific about what I mean by doesn't work, I mean it says not responding and it just sits there in a really tiny window, it seems to be random as sometimes it won't respond at all (Besides making the tiny window) and other times it's the broken audio/video thing. 

I had to do the U.S.A. Full game install thing, with UE3Redist installed separately as well, (No idea if that matters with the download I had to use in the end) then with Intro Movie disabled in the launcher settings, it takes about 6 minutes for the window to show video. (You can't touch ANYTHING though before the video starts showing or the window won't respond)

Edited by Hayden J Case
Incomplete sentences FTW.
  • Like 1

To wrap this thread up, OP has no problems left. Main issue is that the specs of the pc being used are very low-end. 

The main CPU being used is a Intel Celeron 2955U with no dedicated GPU (So intel graphics). That explains the long load times for starting the game. To give an indication, these are the stats for Bioshock infinite (Also a UE3 game, to get an indication) from notebookcheck for the system OP uses:

Low settings: 23fps; Medium settings: 10.3fps; High settings: unknown, but I think unplayable.

Why the normal launcher didn't work the first time is a mystery, but now it works fine according to OP.

Case closed :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Actually... Can I reopen the case? What happened to him with the normal launcher happened to me as well. First time I downloaded it, it opened the launcher just fine. Once I did a force reset on my laptop and tried to reinstall the game again, it's impossible for me to reopen the launcher. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Edit: Additional detail. When I tried to use the Debug Launcher, the alert stopped on "Checking cmd arguments"

Edited by UnknownGVS