Do we have our own rights to make skins for the game?

[Dragon]ROCK

Hi,everyone!I love in making skins for characters and vehicles,but the only matter is I dont know how to package the texture files into an upk

I learn a lot but it seems like that no one knows how to make or edit an upk file

So,do we have our own rights to make skins for the game?If we do,then there should be a tutorial to teach us how to edit an upk file

And here is one of the skins I make for the game,hope you like it

c1302.bmp

Edited by [Dragon]ROCK

• Totem Arts Staff

You have to compile UPKs through the SDK, but I don't think modified skins are allowed, except in a per-map basis. I don't know if the game supports edited files? Not sure. Will need a dev to check on that.

I doubt highly that custom skins are compatible with the game, though.

@yosh56 @Agent @Havoc89

732254e323ee79f761f821166e1cca52-sexy_ho

Edited by [CT]Sarah
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Agent said:

I don't think we have any particular problem against custom skins, though we don't exactly support them either. Proper support would probably require additional work, and isn't a real priority.

as long as neon c4 or beacons // neon / pink SBH or stank are forbidden Im fine with skins... neon snipers... that would be awesome :P

• Former Developers

I dont think support for skins are even possible with this engine. There cant be different versions of a file on a server and a client. They have to be in synced. Unless there is a UE3 game that has done it, but I can't recall any.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎06 at 0:27 AM, Havoc89 said:

I dont think support for skins are even possible with this engine. There cant be different versions of a file on a server and a client. They have to be in synced. Unless there is a UE3 game that has done it, but I can't recall any.

hah! yes let's not forget what we are playing here.  This is unreal tournament 3 just modified in such a way to represent C&C Renegade how easy it is to forget something.. 

Okay so @Havoc89 you say these files have to be connected and so theoretically it would work in custom maps.  

Edited by [B]Veyron

• Totem Arts Staff

the materials for units are not bound to maps they are a consent over the entire game only way to change the texture is to change the material / material instant constant (MIC) texture that is used on the unit (if you change the package you can not join a server with out it re-downloading that package and reverting the change you made)

the only way textures can be changed is if the client and server have the same package (witch is a good thing to stop cheaty textures)

but to change the texture in the MIC code needs to be added ether in game or via a mutator to swap out the def, spec, normal, ect texture's a bit like we do with the cubemaps and colour of units in the map world props

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kenz3001 said:

the materials for units are not bound to maps they are a consent over the entire game only way to change the texture is to change the material / material instant constant (MIC) texture that is used on the unit (if you change the package you can not join a server with out it re-downloading that package and reverting the change you made)

the only way textures can be changed is if the client and server have the same package (witch is a good thing to stop cheaty textures)

but to change the texture in the MIC code needs to be added ether in game or via a mutator to swap out the def, spec, normal, ect texture's a bit like we do with the cubemaps and colour of units in the map world props

So different skins for characters and vehicles (etc) would need to be endorsed by the server if they are to be used/work?