Units alternate fire

ex_member

Why not?

Rocket Soldier, and Engi/Adv Engi all have alternate fire, and each faction has access to them. Mobi and Doza both have alt fire as well.

Nod's unique weapons (sprayers and lasers) are simple and good enough to get the job done. Also, while they do less base damage to infantry, they ignore all kinds of armor damage reduction - no need to worry about Kelvar or flak, and they are effective against vehicles as well.

GDI has more alt fire because.... they love grenades: McFarland, Patch, Grenadier all lob grenades (McFarland is more of an explosive slug but still thrown as a grenade, Patch is actually alt fire mode, which is similar, and Grenadier's nades bounce when fired with alt fire) with their alternate fire. On a serious note, their alt fire helps them to do more damage on vehicles and break infantry with Kevlar armor.

Unless you really want Flame Troopers to alternate fire fireballs like RA 1 ones, Chems to fire corrosive tib spheres similar to Desolators in RA 3, and SBH + LCG firing a continuous laser beam by holding alt fire akin to UT''s link gun... but this would break up balance and put more unnecessary work on Yosh's shoulders.

Edited by Jarzey

This original question was like ..rly dumb so I had a seriouse twitching to make another video about it. Why should it matter?

Then it turned into balance issue. Balance ≠ same amount of characters with alt. fire in each faction. It's not like GDI needs those, but why is that a problem? Me for example disagree with 1shot kill in such a game in regarding to infantry balance. Balancing characters is really like based on frequent experimenting, so expect that there will be another unbalance in the next update, since balance updates are not frequent. You can try to balance urself with a mutator. Actually its not that difficult. If I can do it so everyone can.

Edited by Axesor

There dont need to be a decent reason. It's just made this way, and it does not cause any unbalance. McFarland is as valuable to me as chem trooper.. I rly dont see any problem with him. Patch is just sad character that is not being played much often.. he is not OP at all. Mobi may be real pain in the ass with his alt. fire but I'd say that its on same level of pain as Havoc/Sakura is. It does not mean that its good. Doza vs Mobi is 1:1 imo. Grenadier is not even an issue.. such a poor character so I want to give him a hug.

24 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

for the Soldier Rifle?

why that xD

I just think it would be more realistic that way, accurate single shots for longer distance and and unaccurate spraying for close combat. This could be implemented for all automatic weapons

1) ADS IS ALT-FIRE. Nod lacks this the most in many units... probably because GDI's trope is military munitions???

2) Two types of projectile per weapon, GDI's trope is military munitions. They have grenade mounts and junk.

3) Mobius has been through 3 alt-fires for his weapon. I'm starting to think the current one isn't a keeper because it adds nothing but cheese. Mendoza has it because Mobius has it, but needs it more because the two actually damages two different targets. Mobius does acceptable damage to all armor with his primary fire.

4) McFarland is OP, is getting a nerf, and is the only giving GDI a chance on low-income infantry-only maps. Officers can't win in tunnels against Chems, Officers can't win in tunnels against McFarlands, but SBH are pretty cheap too if people would stop standing the fuck around with them and group up on buildings.

10 hours ago, YagiHige said:

3) Mobius has been through 3 alt-fires for his weapon. I'm starting to think the current one isn't a keeper because it adds nothing but cheese. Mendoza has it because Mobius has it, but needs it more because the two actually damages two different targets.

Mendoza's blue Tiberium Auto-Rifle (Mantis) is a fusion of the oldren Mantis and Tiberium Flechette Rifle (Talon). Primary fire is similar to the Talon and is specifically for enemy infantry, whereas secondary sort of behaves like the oldren Mantis. Secondary is intended to damage vehicles but can also be used against infantry, especially for tunnel control. McFarland has a decent alt fire for up-close control, but now the Mendoza secondary does the role better.

1 hour ago, Chrisjh0223 said:

Mendoza's blue Tiberium Auto-Rifle (Mantis) is a fusion of the oldren Mantis and Tiberium Flechette Rifle (Talon). Primary fire is similar to the Talon and is specifically for enemy infantry, whereas secondary sort of behaves like the oldren Mantis. Secondary is intended to damage vehicles but can also be used against infantry, especially for tunnel control. McFarland has a decent alt fire for up-close control, but now the Mendoza secondary does the role better.

Crowd control is better for McFarland. AOE is at least double in radius. Mendoza is good for corner cheese, his dps is better if they all hit, but they only all hit stupid corner-huggers. Good for tagging someone fleeing at low health, admittedly.

On 18/12/2016 at 2:02 AM, SvN91 said:

not really related to the kind of alternative fire discussed here but would it be possible to make the automatic rifle switch between automatic fire and single shot fire? Would be more realistic:)

accurate single shots for longer distance

That's marksmen's role.