UDK Editor

Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys,

I want to to work on my own map, but I can't start the UDK editor I watched the toutorial from kenz, but this doesn't work.

You can see that my PC only start a service but now a Programm.

Maybe there is another or new way to start the editor.

P.S.  I am sorry, that I have no screens I can't upload anything, I don't know why.

• Totem Arts Staff

Hm I installed Renegade X in D not in C. Maybe this is the problem. But I can't install renegade in C because I'll have problems with the administrative rights. Is there another solution? Maybe an extra new  Aplication?

But I hope you can fix the problem with the administrative rights, as you promised me.

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys,

Sorry, that I doesn't respond for a while I had much to do.

My PC is running with Windows 10 Pro and my antivirus isn't blocking anything from UDK.

I don't know what I can do at the moment, so I hope you guys have a solution for me.

• Totem Arts Staff

@Schmitzenbergh

Yes that is the problem. I have 1 background process named "BUILT WITH UDK", but after 2 minutes the process disappear. But it doesn't open any loading window or other things.

PS: I will try this solutions suggestion as soon as possible.

Screenshot (4).png

@Handepsilon

Yes I am running a shortcut from the UDK.exe with the argument editor at the end, if you mean this.

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

My way

Inside the renegadeX game or anywhere else (better somewhere else so it wont interfer with the game) make/Create a *SDK Folder

P.S : You can put that *folder anywhere else on any Drive. Dont have to be in the Renx game itselft

for luh.gif

Put inside the SDK Folder

02.gif

Point the shortcut to this UDK.exe inside t\the WIN32

03.gif

Edited by Xtractor

1 hour ago, (Ger)Luhrian said:

Yes I am running a shortcut from the UDK.exe with the argument editor at the end, if you mean this.

But the question was: Did you download the SDK, or are you running the game version of the UDK.exe. That's kinda important to know. The game itself is lacking the editing capabilities. You'll need to download the SDK for it.

If there is no loading screen whatsoever, I highly doubt that you have downloaded the SDK and are trying to run it via the game executable. But please confirm this.

• Like 3

• Totem Arts Staff
10 hours ago, (Ger)Luhrian said:

@Handepsilon

Screenshot (5).png

Unfortunately you've confirmed my assumption. You did use the wrong program. The game does not include the SDK capability due to the ludicrous size that would be involved (and more other things).

Also, make sure SDK and game are on separate directory. Overwriting the game files will most likely break your game.

• Totem Arts Staff

Hm, I have now the SDK, but I can't use it, because it doesn't work after a few seconds. It always stop to work at:

Loading objects referenced by: FoliageBrushSphereMaterial

Eng: BULIT WITH UDK doesn't work anymore. The Programm can't start correctly...

Target: "D:\Renegade X\RenegadeX SDK 28-09-2016\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe" editor

Start in: "D:\Renegade X\RenegadeX SDK 28-09-2016\Binaries\Win32"

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Thanks Schmitzenbergh for your help, but Thommy had another solution, I thought I said it to you yesterday.

If you have a problem like this just go to

-> Modes -> Show -> Collision Modes -> set it to "Normal"

and then it looks normal. :)

But thank you for your help

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

Hey Guys,

After I add Materials to my Map I can't save my Map. The UDK Editor can't find my Package and so he can't save my map.

I would like to know where I can find the package and where I must save it so taht it works.Screenshot (22).png

• Totem Arts Staff

Yes if this pops up, you know that the texture is located in an .udk file.

This could happen in every material you copy from a .udk file

But I think you don't need extra landscape cause if I look at the image, the buildings are very tiny. If you make it too big, you will notice that it takes hours to reach the enemy base

Edited by ThommyK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

I do it like kenz in his tutorial. I made some screens from my steps, maybe you can find a mistake.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

But it should be a .upk data, 'cause my test data "RX_Custom_tut is a upk data too.

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff
19 hours ago, ThommyK0104 said:

But I think you don't need extra landscape cause if I look at the image, the buildings are very tiny. If you make it too big, you will notice that it takes hours to reach the enemy base

I know I already made a new version

Ok im not that sure, being neewbie myself,t but I think UDK doesnt know where is your stuff is.

In the newly copied 2 files in Your PKG select(yellow square arround it)  the other one( The INST one)

forest.jpg

Now go in your map and rigth click some where on the ground .That should bring a list..Landscape properties ..clic on it

landsprop.jpg

Under the line Lanscape Material  Clic on the green arrow That should paste your material path Because you had selected in the content Browser

landsprop2.jpg

Close and try again ..:)

Edited by Xtractor

• Totem Arts Staff
On 16.12.2016 at 7:32 PM, (Ger)Luhrian said:

Screenshot (22).png

@kenz3001

This is the problem. I want to add grass but I can't save the map. The confusing thing is that if I add the mat. again, all grass and dirt appear but I can't still save the package. Thommy said, i saved it as an udk file, but on this screen you can see that my test data is an upk file. https://renegade-x.com/uploads/monthly_2016_12/5855669b4ae7a_Screenshot(5).png.69d0670683b8be376bb207f3de58ba82.png

I tried it with another package but that failed.

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

• Totem Arts Staff

ahhh i take it you are pulling the mat from goldrush / some other map ....

some maps have all there mats textures and assets saved to the map and not a package so the game can not open 2 maps independently like a map and package can

the problem is that a / some texture in the mat are referenced to the map you copied the mat from (you will need to find copy and re-reference the textures in the mat (i say this in the vid)

• Totem Arts Staff

sorry i dont have time to make a tut but ...

wile in the map you are taking the mat from

alls you need to do is copy the mat to your package open it up (the one you copied) and look for the textures and in the properties box at the bottom (when the texture node is selected) there will be the texture reference ... click the spyglass it will take you to the texture in the content browser ... make a copy to your package then hit the green arrow and it will be referenced to your package (rinse and repeat for all textures) if you still get the error wile saving the package /your map you missed something and will have to search the mat for more textures

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Ok, I don't understood what I schould do but I tried it on another PC and it works! I searched so long for a solution for this problem and it stands only a few meters away. But thank you all for your help! :)

• Totem Arts Staff

I am using now @Ruud033's package from Crash Site. I can save it without any problems.

Btw maybe I can show you the first screens next week, but I can't promise you anything

Edited by (Ger)Luhrian

21 minutes ago, (Ger)Luhrian said:

I am using now @Ruud033's package from Crash Site. I can save it without any problems.

Btw maybe I can show you the first screens next week, but I can't promise you anything

My best guess is that you had used materials which were inside a map (lets call it map A) file (.udk) at first, which can not be loaded from within map B. If you're using the package (the .upk) you should be good because that's reference able.

Best would be to have your own package since you want to create your own MIC's / MAT's anyway. If you have your own package, you can copy over stuff you need from other maps and tweak that inside your own package.

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Hey guys,

I have a confusing bug in the editor.

I just loaded the map on another Computer, but the smoke and fire disappeard.

You just see this symbol

20170214225808_1.thumb.jpg.371757a2f10c8dc3c74189350d1c8209.jpg

But if you rotat it now it is just appearing but not moving.

20170214225815_1.thumb.jpg.e896f24bc3bfc8d03c703bfae1bbe897.jpg

I hope you can help me.

• 6 months later...