This new Protoss shield system with buildings is terrible.

Vancer2

2 hours ago, Vancer2 said:

Why couldn't you just let the buildings be? Everything else was renegady but when you went and added the protoss like shield/health system to the buildings, it just killed it for me. Why would you do this ;.;

The 'new' system has been here for a year. Have to say I like it, but I didn't at first. Give it a few more tries and you will see it is indeed better to keep the game going than the 'old' system.

21 hours ago, Ryz said:

The 'new' system has been here for a year. Have to say I like it, but I didn't at first. Give it a few more tries and you will see it is indeed better to keep the game going than the 'old' system.

I can't give it a few more times. RIP Renegade X. A bunch of hotwires would always get in the building or what not. This isn't original renegade. You're adding something from Starcraft 2 into a game. Plus it makes no sense. There wasn't any shields in Tib war 1. Now if this was TW3, and we reverse engineered Scrin shields then yeah. It would make sense.

Edited by Vancer2

3 minutes ago, Vancer2 said:

I can't give it a few more times. RIP Renegade X.

I still have yet to hear your thoughts on why you think this is not a good implementation at a gameplay standpoint. We're open for discussion, not to hear you disliking change. 

well, when the "shields" are gone, the game says armour break. Sooooo you could say its armour not shields. Imagine its the walls breaking down and you can only repair the infrastructure and not the facade. Not enough C&C for you?

The goal in mind for Renegade X is not to be a direct copy of the original game. The og ren had a number of flaws, and RenX is aiming to fix or address those issues on top of its own features. Building armor was introduced so attacks on an enemy base had a more lasting effect, and the goal was to reward offense more than turtling. Teams that are sitting in their base and not attacking would be at a more significant disadvantage. You still have all the benefits from that structure if it survives a rush, and structure health altogether has 20% more than og ren to compensate for the lower repair threshold. 

I doubted this system at first too, but after some time it grew on me. In the end it just alleviates the snowball effect on renegade while still maintaining a similar mechanic. 

1 hour ago, Vancer2 said:

I can't give it a few more times. RIP Renegade X.

But most people here seemed to enjoy it.

A bunch of hotwires would always get in the building or what not.

Even if the building is full health AND armor, the hotwires can still blow it in one infiltration.

This isn't original renegade.

Correct, This is Renegade X. :P

You're adding something from Starcraft 2 into a game.

The game isn't a HD version of Renegade, I think the developers adding things to make it different from original Renegade was fully intended.

Plus it makes no sense. There wasn't any shields in Tib war 1. Now if this was TW3, and we reverse engineered Scrin shields then yeah. It would make sense.

Renegade X has nothing to do with C&C's storyline and I don't think it was aiming to be, otherwise we wouldn't have walking tanks from the future during the time when Raveshaw was still around (I hate these future vehicle nonsense by the way... but I'm still playing it, can't have everything our way).

The thing is, what you dislike about the game is something others had agreed on. We can't have a game that is perfect to everyone. People have different taste. It's up to the developers (and the community's discussions) to decide how the game is done.

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, Vancer2 said:

I can't give it a few more times. RIP Renegade X. A bunch of hotwires would always get in the building or what not. This isn't original renegade. You're adding something from Starcraft 2 into a game. Plus it makes no sense. There wasn't any shields in Tib war 1. Now if this was TW3, and we reverse engineered Scrin shields then yeah. It would make sense.

Failing to see how this is from StarCraft in anyway.... Shields regenerate. They're not 'shields', they're a state of building integrity incapable of being healed through means of the repair gun WHICH IN AND OF ITSELF WASN'T A REAL THING IN TW1. It was just a thing they added to Ren because they needed a healing mechanic that was simple... if not outright boring. 

If that's literally the breaking point of RenX for you, then there's no saving you. There's still building repair spam, spamming left click on an MCT, and AFK repairing a building to be #1 on a team without even being at your keyboard. 

It's been working fairly well, if not outright superbly. I can't even be convinced to go back to OldRen. Installed it to steal sounds... and that's about it. 

• Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
14 hours ago, Vancer2 said:

This isn't original renegade. You're adding something from Starcraft 2 into a game. Plus it makes no sense. There wasn't any shields in Tib war 1. Now if this was TW3, and we reverse engineered Scrin shields then yeah. It would make sense.

I'd be more inclined to answer if your reasoning includes any gameplay balance aspect rather than just 'This isn't original Renegade'. Because that's why the health system was changed : The original one causes too many stalemate situations.

• Like 2

@Vancer2

What is it that you don't like about it then?

On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Gliven said:

well, when the "shields" are gone, the game says armour break. Sooooo you could say its armour not shields. Imagine its the walls breaking down and you can only repair the infrastructure and not the facade.

I can't help but feel that it's the exact other way round :)

As long as the building has health >0, the building is fully functional.

Health (building functionality) cannot be restored, however you can protect a building from failure by repairing the armour, to keep its health preserved ;)

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, Vancer2 said:

This is not better. Its not infinitely better at all.

This is not the way to argue. Present your reasons, and your alternative to cover what is already being covered by the current building armor system.

And just to note, again, Renegade X does not intend to be an HD carbon copy of C&C Renegade. It intends to be a polished successor of C&C Renegade.