MVP

djlaptop

Back in OldRen, at the end of the map, one player was designated MVP. It was the player with the most points, but I never liked that method of determining MVP, because it encouraged pointwhoring. Maybe the person with the most veteran points?

In any case, I'd love to see that make a return, with some bonus on the next map for being MVP. Maybe your vote could count as 2 when voting for which map to play. Or perhaps you could start off with some extra money. In OldRen you also got a designation next to your name on the new map that you were MVP of the last one.

Just throwing ideas around, what do you guys think?

Determining the Most Valuable Player of the game is impossible based only on game numbers (points, veterancy, kills, K/D, etc.).

Let me give some examples:

Scenario I. Under. After 30 minutes of stale mate, a technician sneaks in and destroys the GDI PP. After that, he switches to defending and repairing, while his teammates finish off GDI with tanks. That technician will not have the most points (because his teammates will have destroyed more buildings), nor most veterancy nor kills, but he will be the MVP, because he set up things for Nod and made it easy for his team.

Scenario II. Walls. The commander of Nod calls for an apache rush. He leads the rush and his apache is shot down first, but the rest of the team destroy 2 buildings and GDI crumbles. Once again, his teammates will have more "numbers" than him, but he is the MVP, because he had a good idea and organized the team.

Scenario III. Under. GDI has better tankers, but Nod better infiltrators. One guy on GDI sees that and decides to camp the PP tunnel exit. The game lasts one hour and in that time GDI has advantage in field, gains veterancy advantage and overpowers Nod with tanks, winning the game. Meanwhile, the guy camping PP on GDI kills a few technicians and denies an infantry rush. That person will barely have any points, only a few kills and no veterancy at all compared to his teammaters. But in my eyes, he will be the MVP, because he secured the win (and camping is a form of sacrificing yourself for the team as well).

Scenario IV. Lakeside. Barracks are destroyed early by a few flame troopers who happen to walk in an almost empty GDI base. After that, GDI decides to organize an orca rush. But, while orcas are grouping up by WF and are about to move out, an SBH sneaks in GDI base and spots the rush, warning his team and telling them which path they are coming. Nod is prepared and defends from the rush, winning the game soon after that. The SBH is the MVP, because he worked with the team and gave the key information.

Of course, sometimes points/kills/veterancy do reflect who the MVP is. A good sniper can be a real pain in the ass for the enemy team on some maps. A good tanker, denying enemy their harvester throughout the whole game, as well. But very often it's not that simple, as I showed above.

I guess a smart idea for choosing the MVP would be via voting. When the game ended, the players would be able to vote for an MVP and for the next map. I think the only reward should be some kind of points that you obtain, but not any kind of game advantage. This could work like recs. Or maybe the MVP's name could be somehow highlighted in the next game or whatever.

Edited by Quincy

If bonus are to be given to "MVP", please no gameplay changing advantages like extra money, I don't mind extra vote counts though but I think an MVP star next to his name to "show off" is enough. Because having more points than other team members doesn't mean you're the salvation to the team so why should MVPs get such advantages.

Like Quincy said, being the "Most Valuable Player" doesn't really mean that player is anything special, he just have the most points so it should be named "Most Points Player", I don't mind having this feature back like in the old Renegade, just don't think highly of 'MVP' players if it is just based on points. I say this because I've seen a lot of games where players with the highest points are credited and being impressed by others just because he had more points although the real savior of the game are his lower-points teammates.

Winning commander is basically the most valuable player. I think it's stupid to choice 1 most valuable 'regular' player since this is team based game. If I remember good, there is such a chat command called !rec, that should be the thing used for 'regular' players to show them your appreciation.

MVP shouldnt have any benefits in form of credits or such. This may go by side with game accout when/if it will be introduced, to get MVP archievements for getting titles. 1x MVP would open title "commander", 5x MVP general, 10x MVP Leader ...or whatever, name it urself. This would appear at the name in Tab or on the right side when press K, visible for all the people.

BUT the question is... Why? You see there is only few people working in their spare time.

Or just put it by side with recs when person join the game. For example: "Player yosh has joined the game. Recommendation's 103, MVP 3."

Getting MVP for winning only as commander choosen by team. I think it makes sence.

16 minutes ago, Axesor said:

This may go by side with game accout when/if it will be introduced

I'm slowly starting to doubt this ever getting implemented unless we recruit another programmer or two. I just do not have the time or passion right now to implement this on top of the in-game downloads. I'll probably make a post if I get around to working on this.

I would like the MVP system (if it gets implemented somehow) to be like the old Renegade, it's just a star displayed next to your name and the number of MVPs you had in recent games in your third person name view (example: knabis84 MVP*2) where the "bonus" is just by showing off. Then, it will be forgotten -  no need for accounts that saves all history of MVPs you get throughout your Renegade X games because being MVP is nothing special, you just had higher points than others, doesn't mean you're the true hero of the match that needs to be remembered forever.

MVP makes players look to the scoreboard; this makes players familiar with names of which would be the names of regular players; this leads newbies to following regulars by way of familiarity. [Or maybe this was just me in OldRen]

You could have MVP be based on K/D ratio instead of score, or just have MVPs 1 & 2, 1: based on overall Score and 2: based on best K/D.

No bonuses, just a star on the name next game and a small bit of writing at the end of the game stating

"MVP 1: [High Score] Player495

MVP 2: [Best K/D] KrypThe4051" 

But both players should certainly be put on opposite teams in the following game. 

The best scorer isn't exactly a good measure either. None of the scoreboard is a good measure. All players should become one with the Unity and have one shared score/ kill/ deaths/ ping/

If the best scorer and best K/D are on the same team in one game then they are at least forced to be on opposing teams next game, if it was to be like this.

K/D is a terrible measure for anybody, largely because deaths just do not matter in the slightest. Kill count is more relevant.

I'm somewhat against implementing an MVP marker, at the very least below player names -- the UI looks cleaner as-is. Maybe a star with a number on the inside to the left of their name would look nice though.

Edit: Something like this 2016-11-07_11-39-55.png

Though people would probably start confusing it for veterancy at that point.

• Like 1