[Map] CNC-Tomb | Feedback

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff
Post here your feedback

There will be none from the official test group, as there was no Tomb in the testing session today. Sorry m8.

Thats is good news for me. It means that the map Will be moved to next saturday (I camp the pc for myself then)

Tested it yesterday, really love this map. Some things I found:

- You can get 'out' of the level at some places, the soft boundaries do not work at the back of the GDI base and this makes it possible to drive around the map 'outside' the world. You can even shoot the Nod base from outside the world boundaries

- I managed to get a Humvee in the HON.

Overall your best map yet I think!

Things I found

- like ryz already mentioned you can get out of the map at the back of gdi and marty also made it at the nod tib field

- you can drive through the walls which are next to the silo

- you can jumb from gdi base wall on top of the rock in the middle

Actually I cant remembet that map but it looks like real fun ... well done thommy!

I've already put some feedback about this map on another thread, but i want to hear your opinions about vehicle combat. Is there not enough strategic locations to hide your vehicle in or do you like the amount of brawling that the small open environment gives? I haven't tested the map myself but i do think this is going to be the prime character of this map.

GDI ref is much easier to hit with rocket rush or arty in the field compared to the nod one. See these two screens.

oSXd292.jpg

Pp35ugZ.jpg

No collision on these

YDwi5xP.jpg

On the non silo path gdi can easily hit nod buildings while being protected due to the rocks

3RX18dp.jpg

Can jump onto the rocks from here and get all over the top middle

FDSf4AX.jpg

Stuck

s3xAdzH.jpg

Can jump on this rock and get stuck

whR0L5V.jpg

Soft boundaries are bugged in spots.

I would say silo somewhere else or not at all would be better for gameplay. Right now it's another map where you control silo and harvies at the same time.

Looks like it could be a decent small map.

I couldn't get a great screenshot of it so I'll describe it.

In the Tomb itself there are little bowls with fire in them. When you stand on the second floor, the fire from the bowls will clip though the floor/ceiling making it a literal definition of "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire". Looks a bit silly :rolleyes:

Also, you can get on top of the GDI wall and jump on the rocks dividing both bases.

Rest of the bugs I found are already posted.

I must say I really like the map.

• 3 weeks later...

Played it a few times on 20v20 now, end it ended really quick every time. I think it's because:

- there's 2 vehicle paths (Mesa has that too but it has automated base defense, but adding automated base defense to this map is not necessarily the solution)

- The building entrances are pretty close to the tomb exit, that makes (early) infantry rushes a bit easy, you don't see the infantry coming from far away, and they're inside the strip in seconds.

Of course it's ok if a game ends quickly sometimes, but I don't really like it if it's over before it really starts every time.

As mentioned before: personally I like this, but maybe there is a middle of the road solution? Would it for example be possible to have temp defences for like the first ten minutes? Or maybe a minefield on one of the base entrances (back path for example) which gets hit by an ionstorm after 10 min so the road becomes available?

I think it can be done by making a "vehicle" class (one that doesn't move, can't be entered and doesn't shoot). Haven't tried that before but that should work. If it's faction could be neutral so both teams can destroy it that would be best I think.

I've had the idea for over a year, for the first map I sketched up, before Reservoir even :P

I like it the way it is, personally. It's very similar to the original, just as it should be. I think many games are ending early on new maps because the majority of people are just wandering around exploring and figuring out the layout, while others have a clear easy path to destroying the enemy base. Give it some time before any drastic change...it played well in the original with this layout.

(If anyone is looking for a new original Renegade fanmap to start on - please look at Uphill. It was one that was made later on, but was a fan favorite on servers and would play excellent in Renegade X I believe. Also relatively simple layout compared to most others).

Awesome. Can't wait to play that one when it is released. It was fanmap that played very much like the original maps (fanmaps typically had far too many entrances/exits to the base compared to the originals) which I really enjoyed from a competitive standpoint. I do worry about the elevation changes though, considering that that vehicles in Renegade X do not work well with elevation changes whatsoever (both the phsyics and the turret don't behave how they should).

• Totem Arts Staff
Awesome. Can't wait to play that one when it is released. It was fanmap that played very much like the original maps (fanmaps typically had far too many entrances/exits to the base compared to the originals) which I really enjoyed from a competitive standpoint. I do worry about the elevation changes though, considering that that vehicles in Renegade X do not work well with elevation changes whatsoever (both the phsyics and the turret don't behave how they should).

It is already released :P. You can play it on the test servers (NOTE: Ruud hasn't updated it to current version)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gliven

You are able to get vehicles in crates inside tomb, at the top near the silo.

First time it happend, the vehicle spawned stuck in the wall during a pub game. I managed to replicate it twice in skirmish. One where a wolverine spawned perfectly, second time, with recon bike stuck in the floor.

ScreenShot00001.jpg.449c4cf2596e904c33e34578a32ef741.jpg

ScreenShot00002.jpg.4bafff6f955403f3916acde37added20.jpg

I like this map. Some technical/graphics stuff here and there, but it plays great. It's dynamic and allows for different kinds of gameplay (as in: a lot of units are effective and there's a lot of ways to win the game).

I just think it could be more balanced. I feel GDI has an advantage now, for 2 reasons:

- the spot behind rocks near Nod PP that is overlooking Nod base. GDI tanks can shoot at Nod base while covered, especially MRLS there is op, it can shoot all buildings and vehicles landing at strip. That spot needs nerf imo

- the vehicle area doesn't have much cover, which makes it GDI friendly. I would add some rocks/small walls (especially on the non-harvester side) for artilleries and flame tanks to counter meds better. As it is now it's much easier for GDI to control the field

Also like people above mentioned I would move silo to the other side / remove it, to make gameplay even more interesting. But if you went for removing, make sure to fill that spot with some cover for artilleries.

I like this map. Some technical/graphics stuff here and there, but it plays great. It's dynamic and allows for different kinds of gameplay (as in: a lot of units are effective and there's a lot of ways to win the game).

Agreed. When I played this map as Nod for the first time, I thought it was perfect for stank rushes. However, in about 20-25 games I've played on Tomb, I haven't seen a decent one happen yet, which does quite astonish me!

Starting to like the gameplay more as well.

But can you make the collision on the tomb so we don't get stuck to the walls etc.?

And I still think the tomb could use som more details and props, and more detail/poly's on the coffin and entrances.