"Host is running Steam, so you should too."

djlaptop

Is there any reason why you don't want to run Steam? It's ok, but I think servers want you to run the game from Steam for the purpose of authentication. If I remember correctly, in one of Kenz's videos he got kicked from a server because he didn't authenticate (protected RenX name issue) and running Steam fixed the issue.

Pros to launching/running from Steam:

• Authentication

• Shortcut Ease

Cons to launching/running from Steam:

•?

Relatively heavy updates/install that can cost people with limited bandwidth additional data. Personally it ain't worth it for me especially since I don't even use Steam that often

Heavy? They aren't heavy tbh, but yah if you have shit internet then you could say heavy i guess. Not steam's fault.

• Totem Arts Staff

Relatively heavy updates/install that can cost people with limited bandwidth additional data. Personally it ain't worth it for me especially since I don't even use Steam that often

Heavy? They aren't heavy tbh, but yah if you have shit internet then you could say heavy i guess. Not steam's fault.

'Relatively', so yeah. 70 - 100 MB is 'heavy' in my perspective. And as I said, I never used Steam unless I really have to. I just think it's not worth it to download stuff I don't even use that often anyways

This game ought to target the softest specs it can. Especially with Hande and similar folk having like 50gb of internet or less at 3g speeds and afterwards like 256kbps...

I can list a lot of people who aren't speaking out, but don't use Steam. Hande, Canucck, K.IO, AngryScientist, just try for 1 day and "!rec" people in a server, and you notice a lot don't use steam so you can't "!rec" them. If they literally can't afford the footprint to run both simultaneously, internet or bare-minimum ram, then they are gone when it becomes enforced.

I can list a lot of people who aren't speaking out, but don't use Steam. Hande, Canucck, K.IO, AngryScientist, just try for 1 day and "!rec" people in a server, and you notice a lot don't use steam so you can't "!rec" them. If they literally can't afford the footprint to run both simultaneously, internet or bare-minimum ram, then they are gone when it becomes enforced.

Canucck uses steam everyday. There are a lot of people playing ren without launching via steam while they are online.

Still, not steam's fault lol ~

I simply do not want to play RenX through Steam if it forces me to change my username. Call it a pet peeve, but if RenX would enforce Steam without being able to set my in-game name without changing my Steam name, i will quit the game and never return. I just don't want to change a name i already set, and i never will.

Hey Handepsilon, if you want there's an option to turn off auto-updating for each game.

There is no global setting (alas) but if you right-click a game in your library -> Properties, you can tell it when you want it to update.

edit -

I simply do not want to play RenX through Steam if it forces me to change my username. Call it a pet peeve, but if RenX would enforce Steam without being able to set my in-game name without changing my Steam name, i will quit the game and never return. I just don't want to change a name i already set, and i never will.
No way I'd go that far, but being able to change your name in-game with Steam accounts makes a lot of sense.

Would just need something to let people set a display name, and some logic to keep the stats page consistent (first displayname they play as, with one name-change allowed per month?)