[Map] CNC-City Flying (Unofficial)

TK0104

And what about the assets Ruud bought?

He said it was a real impossible thing to do with those assets

Sucks... Glad you've been trying. I can only comment from the sideline Thommy. Good you kept working on this!

I can't believe you had the time to do City, little here and little there, up until now. Seemed like two years ago I had also worked on it, and had touched several projects since, but I am notorious for not finishing large projects. I get a lot of experience and no use whatsoever out of it.

Anyway, can make a minimap, including tunnels inside the buildings and maybe some transparent portrayal under the overpass. Especially under the premise, and I rather assume it's bugged so if it isn't then it's a pleasant surprise, that we might actually be able to play this on a regular basis sooner rather than later. When we actually can play it and it has no bugs and such, I can see it being the next map to be as popular as Walls.

Really excited for the patch, that puts this into the game, as well as other new game mechanics. That will be the next gold standard.

I also have design concerns, I say concerns when some actually look like interesting "improvements" to me. One, you can attack a nod structure (PP?) from GDI-side overpass, but that might actually be alright. Two, Stealth Tanks had 3 entrances to GDI base in Classic Ren and I am not sure that is the case here. Three, the land seems not hilly enough, and four to boot, the material for the land in the bases is acceptable but grass in some places might have made more sense and more diversity. If the gameplay is fair for both teams, I can entirely live with this, and if assets to landscape or models are ever added, we can add them later and still enjoy having played the map all this time meanwhile.

This is what I have for a minimap. Testing this now. Will edit this with world properties for minimap when testing completes.

[EDIT] I cannot test it. My SDK is acting up. However, I have adjusted it to what ought to be the 39900 world size, and built it around a center point of x600 y-40 z0. You may need to increase or decrease world size to match the walls of the GDI structures, don't align it off tunnels because they may actually be rough estimates and should be tested after GDI structures line up perfectly. Let me know if it works, or it doesn't mount, or if it is off center, or if the tunnels are too inaccurate.

Use the link, not the inserted image, different "sizes" and the link is the proper TGA and size.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxV7tw ... sp=sharing

tI81Wgs.jpg

• Totem Arts Staff

So today I have been working on some bugs and stuff I didn't like at all on the map:

Small Updates:

- We have now a working Minimap

- Edited the ceiling of the tunnels because they were too low

- Made a new overpass by myself with SketchUp With good collision (Kenz can't complain about that anymore :P)

- Optimized some materials because they were too big and you could see every detail on it

- Overpass has now multiple materials instead of 1 crappy material

- Updated Preview Image

Now only I have to wait for is the loading screen and then I'm going to contact patchers to put it in a future patch

• Totem Arts Staff
Let's plan a test session for this map first... Suggest a few moments, get on TS and look at it with people together?

If people are in to do a test session again...............It will help a lot

Small Updates:

- Made a new overpass by myself with SketchUp With good collision (Kenz can't complain about that anymore :P)

Sounds awfully cosmetic. The minimap would probably still work, but jeez chief, I could have made the minimap based off the new cosmetics if I had known :P

Hell, if the minimap works and is to acceptable scale and precision, screw the cosmetics, it'll do the job for anyone needing navigation, so I am hella excited.

• Totem Arts Staff
Could you please post the download link in the first post and keep that up to date? Also please upload City to the map repo for the auto-downloader to work ;)

I will do that when everything is done (almost done)

Small Updates:

Sounds awfully cosmetic. The minimap would probably still work, but jeez chief, I could have made the minimap based off the new cosmetics if I had known :P

Hell, if the minimap works and is to acceptable scale and precision, screw the cosmetics, it'll do the job for anyone needing navigation, so I am hella excited.

Trust me you don't see the difference

Let's plan a test session for this map first... Suggest a few moments, get on TS and look at it with people together?

If people are in to do a test session again...............It will help a lot

Send me a PM with some (Dutch times) and I will see if I can make it, maybe some other people also...

• Totem Arts Staff

So today I found some problems and fixed them:

- Fixed a small hole at the overpass where you could see through and wasn't meant to be

- Edited a material at the overpass, it had the wrong physical material

Tomorrow I do some funky stuff with the tunnel ceiling because it noticed the ceiling is too low and the camera will go through the ceiling when in 3rd person view

Tomorrow I do some funky stuff with the tunnel ceiling because it noticed the ceiling is too low and the camera will go through the ceiling when in 3rd person view

Just stick a building-sized camera-blocking volume just inches below the roof of the ceiling of both buildings. That way, the camera doesn't clip through it. Bullets might still collide, but who is shooting at their own feet anyways? That happens on every map.

• 5 months later...

Think this hasn't been posted yet:

afb23e1730054242a9eac75a04b4b208.png

You can get a Buggy / Humvee inside the Obelisk (other doors are fine though)

da324a15e9314829bd90cd6e97f83bba.png

Soft borders are missing here (well at least there should be some here)

ba1a841d5e484d6c8925c51874cfffe3.png

You can't access the entire area behind the concrete walls, but there's enough space to hide & repair your Orcas / Apaches.

4c1f5074b748452cac0b990229457e5d.png

And you can fly to the Refineries avoiding Ob / AGT triggering....

6 hours ago, Madkill40 said:

Then whoever dominates the field has the economic advantage?

Wide field. Also, if you put the silos strategically where they can be accessed by that gap in the wall, then the team's tiberium field, becomes the enemy's easy infantry-path silo.

Not like silos do much more than keep power going through a ref loss. Lakeside hardly notices the silo loss for it's team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

First screenshot with some changes:

City.png

- Added small Tiberium Field near Base Entrance which will be the primary harvesting field for the Harverster

- Gave the map some natural erosion

- Non-Accessable area fully blocked with wire

- Added Bushes

- Removed original Tiberium Field locations so infantry can run to the enemy harvy

- Reduced lighting in GDI base because it was too shiny

Can we play this map now, anyone?

Also, did you put some cover and debris and such, where the old Tiberium fields used to be? Wouldn't hurt to have just a few in the actual field, it'll be sniper-hell otherwise.

The Minimap is still mostly functional, for added effect use a green shader over the area the tib field is, with paintdotnet.

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, YagiHige said:

Can we play this map now, anyone?

Also, did you put some cover and debris and such, where the old Tiberium fields used to be? Wouldn't hurt to have just a few in the actual field, it'll be sniper-hell otherwise.

The Minimap is still mostly functional, for added effect use a green shader over the area the tib field is, with paintdotnet.

@YagiHigeThe map is no where near done yet. A lot has to happen like fixing the bug report of @DarkSn4ke

Good idea about cover. Will add that too.

Minimap isn't a problem. I can make a new one If I want

Edited by ThommyK0104

@ThommyK0104keep it up! :) but don't forget about fixing Horologe. But you could also blame me... I just posted the Horologe bugs on CT forums in my original bug report topic... I didnt find Horologe in WIP section... didnt think of Release section :P and so far I've been to lazy too re-post em.... 9_9

Guess all old Renegade players long for a good remake of City in RenX - but I think you should focus on one project now. finish Horologe as its almost done, then concentrate on City... then... River / Headlands / I dont know ^^ you've started so many maps :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Update + Changelist

So it's been a while for City but I did quite some changes to the map. Some are maybe for you not good, but I did it for a good reason. The new version will probably be uploaded this weekend. Could be today or tomorrow. I'm not sure for 100% :P

Changelist

- Removed Air Units because the Air Units can control the whole field because they can see Techs / Hotties and other infantry too easy. The other team doesn't stand a chance against it. This map is also not the best map to have Air Units. Walls is waaaaaay more open map to use Air Units :)

Ramps are still there ;)

- Moved the Tiberium Fields closer to the bases to fix the Harverster Path and the harvy is extremely slow so it takes ages to get back to the refinery

- Added Rocks for cover. A new rock type we haven't seen before

- Gave the map natural erosion

- Fixed getting vehicles in the Obelisk

- Changed Vehicle Camo to Urban

- Increased Nod Character Brightness from 1.2 to 1.5 (They were too dark)

- Increased GDI/Nod Vehicle Brightness from 1 to 1.2 (They were too dark too)

- Map File Name Changed: CNC-City_Flying -----------> CNC-CityRedux

- Updated Minimap

Well these are the changes. Some people won't like it, but it is much better gameplay. I'm sure of it!

Edited by ThommyK0104
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

Announcement!

I have decided to make a new CNC-City Flying which will be starting soon. Why am I making a new one? Well the old one SUCKS! Since I'm starting a Game Artist Education begin September I'll be able to model and texture some new assets for this map, which I'm looking forward to!

I can't say much what I'm going to do, but I'll promise it will be even better than the current one! Also I have another project going on which I'm still working on and that will be finished first of course.

So I have nothing more to share for now so click on another topic and read the latest posts I guess!

Rx_BD_SS_06.thumb.jpg.b532e4216e2488d7b02bdfbddd82b211.jpg

• Like 4

• Former Developers

Hey TK,

Just as an FYI, you're more than welcome to create recreate City, however I would like to inform you that the official map is under development already. Whether you still choose to make your own variant is up to you.

• Like 1

@Havoc89 @TK0104 Here's an idea. If one of you already have a developed map, and TK has made a scaled version that has demo'd some map design flaws, then why not just continue official development but if there's anything TK/TheCommunity can do to speed it up then just ask.

For instance, I don't think the Ref being so far from the TibField is a bad thing, credits can be scaled with harvester dump and silos can be added if harvester dumps aren't increased. Both harvesters have always been super vulnerable to death in Old Ren City Flying.

I also don't think Fying needs removed, the game just needs proper debris cover within the field, from BOTH snipers AND airships. Something infantry can hide under, behind, and around, possibly enough for a threatening group of infantry (at least 4 gunners?) can get across a field unseen, in contrast to Eyes which is a good map but is too long a trek with too much visibility.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, Havoc89 said:

Hey TK,

Just as an FYI, you're more than welcome to create recreate City, however I would like to inform you that the official map is under development already. Whether you still choose to make your own variant is up to you.

Oh shiet forgot about about that :/

Then it's quite useless to make City once again when the official is already in WIP

43 minutes ago, YagiHige said:

Here's an idea. If one of you already have a developed map, and TK has made a scaled version that has demo'd some map design flaws, then why not just continue official development but if there's anything TK/TheCommunity can do to speed it up then just ask.

For instance, I don't think the Ref being so far from the TibField is a bad thing, credits can be scaled with harvester dump and silos can be added if harvester dumps aren't increased. Both harvesters have always been super vulnerable to death in Old Ren City Flying.

I also don't think Fying needs removed, the game just needs proper debris cover within the field, from BOTH snipers AND airships. Something infantry can hide under, behind, and around, possibly enough for a threatening group of infantry (at least 4 gunners?) can get across a field unseen, in contrast to Eyes which is a good map but is too long a trek with too much visibility.

My ideas were a bit crappy done and 'my assets' are basicly from CSG or straight from the original game and it looks horrible. I think I let this map rest and let @Havoc89finish the job :)

Edited by TK0104

On ‎1‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 5:11 PM, TK0104 said:

I have decided to make a new CNC-City Flying which will be starting soon. Why am I making a new one? Well the old one SUCKS! Since I'm starting a Game Artist Education begin September I'll be able to model and texture some new assets for this map, which I'm looking forward to!

Thommy, for the love of skateboarding Jesus and his pal Krishna the scubadiver. Please finalize one of your other maps before starting another. You have ten or so maps that are either:

• Not done in a mile;
  • Close to done but needs polish;
  • Potential maps that are now in a stasis chamber because you left them;
  • Good.

You now have the CNC-dunes map that you are making a "lets build" of (Which looks awesome), CNC-meteor that isn't done by a mile but has potential, CNC-uphill that is close to done but needs that bit of love that makes it done and CNC-River which is not done by a mile. 

And now you are re-opening City again. How do you even handle it?! :P You're like a clown juggling with Scorpions that are on fire now. 

That map CNC-Dunes or Outposts or whatever it is called. Please focus all your love on that, Make new assets for it if you really want to for your study. Anything but please commit to put out at least one nice and polished map. If you put some time and love in the final stages, you are getting a great map. I mean, Tomb is a great example of a good map.

Yes the final stages of a map are tedious. I also like to see maps come to life in big steps, but the smaller details are what make a map. I mean, look how long it took to make CNC-Arctic or even CNC-Storm. I'm not working on it that much, but I really want to make that map great (again). I have plenty of idea's for new maps. I even have one in my mind in which I want to ask you to do a part, but not before CNC-Storm is V1.0 done.

Do as you please of course. But keep in mind: "Beter een vogel in de hand dan tien in de lucht" AKA It would be better to have one decent map, than 10 unfinished ones. 

PS: Skateboarding Jesus agrees with me.

NC_skatejesus0224_1500x845.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Totem Arts Staff

@Schmitzenbergh I'll keep working on Outposts since I ain't working on City. 

About River and Xmeteor: I will never work on those again. I said it before that I never ever work on it further.

No one is reporting bugs on other maps so there is nothing much to work on that.

So in other words screw city, my map first!

Topic closed :P

• Like 1