[Map] CNC-City Flying (Unofficial)

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

UPDATE 12-31-2015

Before were gonna end the year 2015 I want to show my work of City for today. I did a HUGE update on it. I almost forgot there is a map with a nice landscape material: CNC-Sniper-Park. So I decided to get the material in my package and used that one. But the sky didn't really match with the landscape. So I copied and pasted the sky from CNC-Sniper-Park in CNC-City. This is the next generation of City:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ze9 ... S02TmZwcmM

Because there is still no overpass, I putted a silo in the center for now.

Thats it folks.

Happy Newyear

Instead of Sketchup, for creating buildings and other architecural elements, you can also use ArchiCAD, an architectural BIM CAD software. Easy to use, and far more better than Sketchup.

Nope I wish it was this easy. I could have given the community loads of buildings if this were the case. I work with Autodesk Revit daily (as a building engineer) and have tons of real life building models. Those models are made out of a different kind of geometry than polygons.

For you reference, we need polygons for the game industry, and we need as LESS as possible of them.

http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Mod ... ons#Theory <----- very useful link for your knowledge from one of the leading Dutch universities (even in the world)

For example, a normal Renegade-x rock has 8000 polygons in LOD0 (the highest level of detail)

One of the buildings we draw in Architectual software comes closer to 1.000.000 polygons easily. It's because the design process is different.

The amount of polygons comes forth out of the NURB -> Polygon conversion.

In the architectural software we draw in NURBs not in polygons.

For more info about that: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... gws_rd=ssl

Just let me take a look at the current map progress.

You dont have to make a custom 3D model for this bridge. With some creativity using static meshes and the landscape tool I could get this done.

If not....well I installed 3DS Max already :) I've been using AutoCAD products for 10 years. Someone would just have to texture it. I'm a designer and less of an artist.

Link meh thommy.

I've got a plan for the bridge now. Did a proof of concept earlier no need for 3DS max. Just need to create 2-3 prefabs and it will look like the old one essentially.

Considering placing a broken mammy or other small destroyed vehicles to break up the loonnnnggggg bridge that it was. Thoughts?

I've got a plan for the bridge now. Did a proof of concept earlier no need for 3DS max. Just need to create 2-3 prefabs and it will look like the old one essentially.

Considering placing a broken mammy or other small destroyed vehicles to break up the loonnnnggggg bridge that it was. Thoughts?

I agree that the old bridge was boring. Maybe have it damaged near the middle? So we can also drive off easy?

Looking forward to your prefabs!

If that does not work out for you, you can also look at this tutorial, maybe you need to use the spline actor yourself.

Did someone post here that you are able to create 'damaged' bridges which can be repaired? What if you need to repair the bridge with an engie to be able to use it? I know I am asking for quite a lot, but if the Ren-X community developers team up on this map everything is possible!

You could place broken vehicles, corpses and scattered military surplus, bullethole decals on the asphalt,and small blazing fire on the road here and there. Like this were another 'highway of death': https://www.google.hu/search?q=highway+ ... 8Q_AUIBigB

Horrible. And war is hell.

• 2 months later...

what's the status on this map? besides hourglass (whiteout is more or less hourglass) and glacier (was not in the official launch maps) this is the only classic map which is missing for renegade x

i know this map isn't that simple as there is no city setting included in the UDK... but i liked the city setting the original renegade had...

one of the best city-setting maps was C&C Metro... i liked that map a lot ^^

Maybe you ask someone who manages the forums/Ren-X website to put out a request on your behalf? They could create a front-page news item or sticky post for it etc. It's a nostalgia map and would bring some extra attention.

If you know the specification for the bridge you could also try to write a brief and out-source the modelling for it to a freelancer, at least get a quote and crowd-source the cost between community members through a Paypal donation or something.

If you know the specification for the bridge you could also try to write a brief and out-source the modelling for it to a freelancer, at least get a quote and crowd-source the cost between community members through a Paypal donation or something.

Good idea, this is what I've suggested a few times in other situations and I would also contribute to it.

Wow, only $119! You have to buy this Thommy :rolleyes:

Or perhaps start a kickstarter to get the money!

In all seriousness, isn't is a bit much? But perhaps looking for some models on the big ol' internet is something you can do. (If you haven't already did it)

Wasn't the overpass ever made in a previous Dev attempt on City? Or maybe 1/some of the buildings for the map?

You could also learn to model yourself, takes time to learn but you'll gain a new skill (before you ask, I won't do it :P )

In all seriousness, isn't is a bit much? But perhaps looking for some models on the big ol' internet is something you can do. (If you haven't already did it)

I am still searching for free assets (found a gas station and half a city for UDK), but if I was making this map and would like to make progress I would't doubt about buying it if I knew some people would back me. 10 people giving 10 euro's will get you the assets and spare you a lot off time.... If they can be ported to UDK, but not sure...

Edited by Guest

The problem with city is that its gameplay was a snipers paradise.

Too big. Too flat. Too boring.

I've experimented with creating a bridge using just in game assets but the length that City's bridge is it does't look right...or play right for that matter. A 1:1 remake (see Canyon) just doesn't feel right for Renx.

The middle area / bridge / tunnels need to be re-imagined from the ground up in my opinion. This is a map that needs 2-3 Map makers 100% on board. Honestly I rather just see new maps.

The biggest question is, what could be improved?

The scale of the original one is quite big, as previously has been said. I think there's some improvement here. Then agian, if we touch the scale, the vehicle combat also will be different.

I think that if we'd have an urban map, it would be more like cnc-downtown (copy pasta from UT3)

B3DqaMVkQGE?

One thing is the overpass was too long straight line ,mb if there are some neutral vehicules in fire on it for covers that could help and make it more like an s shape.

cons:

Havester routes were a pain and doll long routes .ST rush was too devasting .more covers was needed in bases against snipers .And I didn't like the small path that goes in enemy base from the fields,Vehicules were always stuck there ,middle was a snipers fest for any infantry..

Air wasn't not very fun due to doll map layout .

One thing is the overpass was too long straight line ,mb if there are some neutral vehicules in fire on it for covers that could help and make it more like an s shape.

i agree, the overpass needs a few additions for gameplay... obstacles like burning vehicles are a good start. i would also add a path for infantry to get on or off it (like the staircase to get on top of the two buildings in the bases).

breaking a few pieces of the bridge so vehicles can drive down (maybe also up? making sort of a ramp with a long broken piece of a bridge?)

Havester routes were a pain and doll long routes .

i don't see that as a problem... there are just some maps where you can get credits fast (like islands) and there are some maps where the harv has to drive quite a way to get some credits. it just means you have to protect your harvester more and credits are far more valuable on this map. i remember at the beginning of the original map, you had to defend your own harv and kill the other one and it was quite fun, because beeing successfull there actually meaned something.

ST rush was too devasting

true, but GDI didn't have GT then... GT should prevent some early rushes and if thats not enough we could remove the (kinda) 3rd vehicle path, where vehicles always got stuck...

more covers was needed in bases against snipers

that is probably true...

And I didn't like the small path that goes in enemy base from the fields,Vehicules were always stuck there

well, obviously on the remake you would make the path large enough so noone got stuck or you make it small enough so only infantry can pass...

,middle was a snipers fest for any infantry..

by adding some way to get up and down the bridge (by staircases or broken pieces of the bridge) and maybe adding a few more covers in field, this shouldn't be as problematic... i mean, most vehicle paths are a sniper fest...

maybe creating a new tunnel which connects NOD with GDI tunnels does the trick

Air wasn't not very fun due to doll map layout

i find it quite intresting having different elevations where you could fight helis and orcas. the overpass also gave some cover against air units.

to conclude this: i think city is a must have for nostalgic reasons... and it's better than field, because this map was designed for more players, which field definitely was not (btw you could always expand field and add a new sneaky inf path, like on under).

also noone hates to see the map reimagined by modern mappers for a modern gameplay. even if i miss the tank fighting for mesa middle, mesa 2 is more balanced. same for under, which had added a new infantry path... or canyon as someone mentioned...

god, if the overpass really is a big problem, you could always skip it and create another vehicle path... for example: instead of creating an overpass... create a tunnel and name the map city 2. maybe make some entrances to the tunnel from the middle field and the infantry tunnels, to spice things up.

people would still recognize it as city if you keep the bases and infantry tunnels somwhat similar to the original... like on mesa 2...

i think best way to go with this map would be to make a tunnel instead of an overpass and call it city 2. keep bases same and rework some of the middle part of the map (maybe connect new vehicle tunnel with infantry tunnel and middle part of the map)...

or if you guys really want to keep the overpass: wasn't there a method to extract and use models of old renegade in UDK? someone did it with the construction yard...

we could export the old bridge model and then the bridge just needs a few new textures (as the old ones propably are too low in resolution and ren x has a different art style)?

EDIT:

HA! it was thommy who put up that guide for copying models from old renegade ^^ i knew it ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H4MPB6DVdc

The quality level of the old renegade, and the old models that are within that is terrible. I was good for the W3D engine but in UDK we have way better graphics. It's better to use them as a reference but just do the whole thing over yourself.

i agree, the overpass needs a few additions for gameplay... obstacles like burning vehicles are a good start. i would also add a path for infantry to get on or off it (like the staircase to get on top of the two buildings in the bases).

breaking a few pieces of the bridge so vehicles can drive down (maybe also up? making sort of a ramp with a long broken piece of a bridge?)

I like this idea, very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I Ghas zome good news,

I have purchased a humble bundle for $13 with a TONNE of 3D assets which are free to use in commercial games etc etc.. developed by *drumrolls* CRYTEK! LINK: https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

The files are all maya and fbx files so we should port m over quite easily.

Crytek said it's possible;

The license sais;

When you lawfully acquire our Asset Packs (listed below) as part of this Humble Bundle you are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, worldwide and perpetual limited license to use the acquired Assets for your commercial or non-commercial projects developed on any game engine and to use, license and exploit such projects developed on any game engine with the embedded Assets in any way and in all media.

So thommy if you could post the map files here or share the dropbox / onedrive / gdrive folder link with me im gonna add stuff soon. I understood that this map was cursed due to Havoc89's hard drive crashing (full of assets), now we're back in business

• Totem Arts Staff

I haven't looked at City for quite some time. And i don't like what I did to the map. So I did some magical stuff again

- Changed for the last time to Night time (I've learnt how to work with night time maps so I changed City again to Night

- Lighting. It's gonna look like Mesa II Night

- Removed Silo

- Made the background of the bases smaller

PzgOQUH.png

S8hZebA.jpg

I will edit the light cause it looks at some parts in the nod base too Red and in the GDI base it's too much light. And I will fix the black spots of course

Hey Henk, since you also have these assets and a lot of knowledge on this, could you team up as well?

If there's anything specific you need I might be able to help with that. But other than that I don't really want to start working on anything big that would take up a lot of time.

Hey Henk, since you also have these assets and a lot of knowledge on this, could you team up as well?

If there's anything specific you need I might be able to help with that. But other than that I don't really want to start working on anything big that would take up a lot of time.

Porting the assets mostly, that's the biggest hurdle

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

UPDATE I

I've been doing some funky stuff and finished the overpass by myself

Check it out:

ujJ2HDl.jpg

HgjGEYj.jpg

midn05N.jpg

qIVKper.jpg

To Do

- Edit the landscape

- Adding some more cover (destoyed vehicles)

- Giving more distance to the buildings (There is now the 2 building with 1 ion/nuke bug)

- Background

- Volumes ( :( )

- Paths ( :( Boring :( )

- Deco in tunnels / edit lights in tunnels

UPDATE II

I've been working on the background and had the idea how to block of the non-accessable areas

I used the brush and created an energy shield. For the background I copied from Whiteout the container storage buildings and the tesla coil look-a-like

rg2YhvP.jpg

Xvxr6GU.jpg

looks nice :D

needs street / highway textures ^^

and i remember the map a little bit darker ^^ especially the giant city buildings used not to be that... white xD

but otherwise looks great :D sure, still needs some polishing, but the base is great :D

can't wait to play the map again and make those APC rushes to PP xD

i see you decided to block the vehicle path where in old renegade you could just fit with certain vehicles... do you plan to add more paths to enter/infiltrate base? because with only 2 vehicle paths this map could get a very campy one...

maybe widen the path instead of blocking it? at least this way you would have 3 vehicle paths...

i still think this map needs at least 1 infantry/sneaky path to enemy base...

• Totem Arts Staff
i see you decided to block the vehicle path where in old renegade you could just fit with certain vehicles... do you plan to add more paths to enter/infiltrate base? because with only 2 vehicle paths this map could get a very campy one...

maybe widen the path instead of blocking it? at least this way you would have 3 vehicle paths...

i still think this map needs at least 1 infantry/sneaky path to enemy base...

I didn't block it off :P. Haven't tested yet which vehicles can fit through there

Is it hard / difficult to give the buildings a texture from a 'modern' skyscraper or something. It would surely benefit the map!

^^ this ,was thinking if the Textures for the buildings was like the WTCenter ,it could look nice . :)

like rooky said..Base is great .Just the texturing need to be improve and few little things here and there :)