Proposition to Fix DDOS Attacks

DoctorB0NG

Here's what I propose to fix the DDOS attacks and keep the peace between communities:

EDIT:

I host Renegade-X servers with the official [Renegade-X.com] Tag. This server has DDOS mitigation that has been PROVEN to work. The server will host no affiliation with ConstructiveTyranny or any other community.

This would effectively give people a place to play that won't get DDOSed without upsetting any communities.

IRC would be hosted through CNCIRC and the forum moderators and game developers would be the server moderators. Maybe a few others such a Ruud and DaKuja as well.

Thoughts?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of this, if you want to be a part of the communities section you MUST shut down your other servers.

I'm not a big fan of this. You sort of force people to entirely give up on a server and also don't give them a chance to even invest in mitigation..

I'd say:

In light of this, if you want to be a part of the communities section you MUST stop seeding the non-mitigated servers, as the majority of the playerbase won't give a preference for a server name but for other players to be present.

Having that said, you forgot to mention that the official servers have permanent mitigation!

In light of this, if you want to be a part of the communities section you MUST shut down your other servers.

I'm not a big fan of this. You sort of force people to entirely give up on a server and also don't give them a chance to even invest in mitigation

I know some who doesn't give a shit about their server. If they are going to invest in mitigation, they can just say so and give them time to do it.

The majority of your idea seems to be a bit disproportionate of a response, though I'm not against a couple well-maintained "official" servers.

Im not sure how proportionate it should be, be the reality of the situation is this:

Since i started playing again 2 weeks ago both EKT and TmX got DDoS-d to hell and back at least twice daily. Then poeple usually head over to Contructive Tyranny that doesnt face similar problems, then EKT fans leave, then others start to leave for EKT, then it gets the boot and the cycle continues. Sometimes TmX also gets populated(just to get rekt an hour later), but EKT marathon lovers are much more active, they tend to wait till their server rises from the trollpit.

I would say its bad, but it does break the monotonity of 2 hour field marathons now and then. :cool:

Edited by Guest

Do you think they should also close down their sniper server? I don't think that one really fragments the player count. Or will there be an official sniper server? (I'm guessing no?)

I'll host whatever server people want me to host. I just want a stable place for people to play the game.

Why would you pay money when you could just play on an existing server that already works?

Coming from the guy who pays an extra $70 a month on top of the server bill just for Anti-DDoS.

People put up servers to make their own communities and expand from there. You're basically asking people to revert from that. Did you honestly think other people would just shutdown their servers lol?

This topic is just asking for fire.

I'm seeing a whole lot of "Save the communities, not the game!" responses. You're trying to save a community while the entire foundation it was built on, RenX, is falling apart at your feet. You're basically trying to hold a house together while there's no foundation underneath. If you're really more worried for your community, why are you still here? You're obviously not going to help here because this game isn't the thing you care about.

You're being given what you need, and turning it down because you can't slap your logo on it.

Some people want to build up a community for Renegade X, some already does and you really ask them to just shut down their servers and join your "community"/server? I think, you just want the players. You say you got the most working DDoS-Protection from all. So why not share it with others? If you want to save the community and bring peace to all, share your Protection to other server owners, instead of telling all to shut down their servers.

Regards,

Night2078

Yes EKT is protected as well, but we don't see the need to advertise it, in fact it's extremely shameful for any community to attempt to profit from DDOS attacks and we stand with all communities that have been affected.

I've been in the process of fine tuning our protection for the last few days and last night we played with one drop out and an Eyes map crash I think it was but we were almost constantly being hit the whole night.

DDOS18.png

Tonight the DDoSer tried attacking during a map change that didn’t really work. Did manage to disrupt IRC a little though, but either way that proves the guy is playing the game. (Yes that mutata guy was in game)

Does seem the DDoSer has been trying different types of attacks to see if one will work & every time that works we will have to adapt.

We are well on our way to getting to 99% DDoS proof and as you can see we already have made significant strides (not that anyone can be 100% DDoS proof if the likes of Sony amazon & Microsoft etc. can he hit so can we if the DDoSer tries hard enough.)

Personally I don’t think anyone would want to let these DDOSers win & change the way we play.

Maybe people from CT would want to share in the Server owners section what sort of protection you are using to be 100% DDoS proof? (Wouldn’t want the DDoS Guy to read the reply and figure something out)

Regards

Goku

Some people want to build up a community for Renegade X, some already does and you really ask them to just shut down their servers and join your "community"/server? I think, you just want the players. You say you got the most working DDoS-Protection from all. So why not share it with others? If you want to save the community and bring peace to all, share your Protection to other server owners, instead of telling all to shut down their servers.

Regards,

Night2078

I'm paying my server provider for good mitigation. There's no secret, I'm not trying to hide anything.

Regards,

Night2078

So you want him to use his hard-earned money for another community to profit with players? That alone is BS, much less after what's gone on between them.

Yes EKT is protected as well, but we don't see the need to advertise it, in fact it's extremely shameful for any community to attempt to profit from DDOS attacks and we stand with all communities that have been affected.

Protection from DDOS attacks involves stopping them from breaching the server. EKT has gone down all day every day for weeks. Currently CT is the only server capable of stopping the attacks, and you shame it for being offered to you, as long as you don't enforce your community upon it?

No accusations, i just have a funny feeling about it. I found his guess a bit... remarkable. But maybe he's just making fun of wil0st0rm at this point.

But on a more serious note...

Does Skeeze still need some help with maintaining his server? Tell him to hit me up, i'd be willing to pay €10 a month for his Anti-DDoS protection for the sake of RenX, i suppose. :rolleyes:

Why would you pay money when you could just play on an existing server that already works?

Although i do agree that existing servers should make a joint effort to take care of this issue, i think it's kind of harsh for them to have their servers shutdown. I fully understand your intentions and am happy to hear that you are actively trying to solve the issue, but It's just not fair to have a single guy have control over all the servers even though he does give every already existing mod/admin equal powers.

It makes me think about the acquisition of all the rights of System Shock by some company like a month ago. It's like having your precious baby taken away from you from which you so lovingly cared for, even though you know it's going to be in better hands. It's just painful.

Right now, we have multiple options. Run all servers under the same DDoS protection that already works but losing ownership or giving them their own chance to take anti-DDoS measures. We should at least provide them a chance to take care of themselves. Right now, as i've heard, TmX wants to take care of the issue but needs some help and i'm more than willing to provide them with that in the form of some money which i would've bought a foot long with anyhow.

• Totem Arts Staff

Could definitely use official servers though... the ones that are paid for well and have enough DDoS mitigation tech under their helm. We don't even need that many, especially considering the size of this community that's probably losing more than it's gaining now.

Maybe if you'd all get your head out of your community's asses we could get somewhere -_-.

That comes off pretty aggressive, and I'm sure all of you internet savages and your tribal instincts automatically assume that it's some sort of hostile takeover, but what he's going for there is basically making an unaffiliated group of servers.

Hell... we even ran into this issue with the PUGs. Night 1, PUG 1 literally took 20 minutes to name the server because we were trying that hard not to make it seem like a community-affiliated project, but in the end LOGICALLY it made sense to put the TS server in the name.

tbh i like doctor bongs offering in creating official ddos proof renegade x servers, he is trying to help in this situtation we are in , trying to provide flawless and smooth experience of renegade x gameplay for everyone. i think we should thank him for that.

!!personally!! i could live with the fact just having official servers , as long as they are stable, because this ddoser has ruined way to many matches for me already on tmx and ekt ( the only servers that are populated most of the time ). the ddoser doesnt seem to stop he is a hard nut

How about highlighting the official servers orange or with some sort of special color and put the "Official servers" as recommend onces to use on top of the server list? That way new comers and existing players will definatly notice the recommend server to play on, without removing all other servers like tmx or ekt. This step without removing all other servers seems more fair to the community but might be less effective.

however if people still want to play on ddosed daily based tmx or ekt even while OFFICIAL DDOS PROOF servers are online thats their own (silly) choice.

1Marathon, 1 Aow and 1 Sniper server should fit well

tbh i like doctor bongs offering in creating official ddos proof renegade x servers, he is trying to help in this situtation we are in , trying to provide flawless and smooth experience of renegade x gameplay for everyone. i think we should thank him for that.

!!personally!! i could live with the fact just having official servers , as long as they are stable, because this ddoser has ruined way to many matches for me already on tmx and ekt ( the only servers that are populated most of the time ). the ddoser doesnt seem to stop he is a hard nut

How about highlighting the official servers orange or with some sort of special color and put the "Official servers" as recommend onces to use on top of the server list? That way new comers and existing players will definatly notice the recommend server to play on, without removing all other servers like tmx or ekt. This step without removing all other servers seems more fair to the community but might be less effective.

however if people still want to play on ddosed daily based tmx or ekt even while OFFICIAL DDOS PROOF servers are online thats their own (silly) choice.

I like this idea. I'd be willing to host an Official server of each type and it will have no affiliation with CT or any other community other than the RenX official community.

• Totem Arts Staff

I like this idea. I'd be willing to host an Official server of each type and it will have no affiliation with CT or any other community other than the RenX official community.

Yes please. I don't care about communities. I just want to be able to play the game with stability. To me the community that matters is...the RenX community.

$20 that someone in the community is the attacker LOL

I'm pretty sure you already know who it is honestly. But i'm not going to try and play detective here ;)

I'm pretty sure you already know who it is honestly. But i'm not going to try and play detective here ;)

Put on that sherlock hat good sir! I await your findings!

giphy.gif

Haha ,I volunteer for free to give you all the details since the very begining ,hit me if your interested ;):cool:

I am 100% its server owners hitting each other trying to grab players. Seen it on original renegade, I would know I ran the New Maps server for 5 years; we knew where people would go after an attack. Needless to say once the other side got a taste of there own medecine things returned to being civil.

Whilst on the topics, anyone remember the a000000 username on wol :rolleyes: yeah enough said :P

• Totem Arts Staff

Well, if someone in TmX operates from background, I wouldn't know. We don't have any topic titled 'Let's DDoS this shit up!' in our closed sub forum so.... lol

on topic

I'm going to discuss this to the moderator team in TmX. I'm just upholding democracy here so no one questions why our server just went inaccessible overnight, or why I haven't killed the server yet

• Totem Arts Staff
I am 100% its server owners hitting each other trying to grab players.

Amazing proof, 10/10, would believe again. I don't think any server owners want players THAT bad in RenX, especially if, if it was server owners, it meant having to contend with counter attacks.

Also pretty sure it's pretty well known who it is.

On topic again, I don't see anything in the original post about other people shutting down their servers, where'd that idea come from?

I like the idea of official servers being highlighted and at the top, the DDOS'ing is really killing the game and it wasn't doing to well already. Don't see any reason for other people to shut down their servers though.

Communities like TMX and EKT kept the game alive. It is also the difference between them or competition or whatever you want to call it that keeps them (and in return RenX) alive. Asking them to shut down their sevrvers and letting the DDoSer win is ridiculous. From what i hear both TMX and EKT are trying to get protection aswell so that should be encouraged.

Ask yourself, why TmX and EKT always get ddosed, when it fills up. When people go to the "DDoS Proof" server the attack stops. Strange, right? I got a nice theory for that. I'm pretty sure i'm right with it, but well, got no proof. Guess most people won't believe me.

Guest once upon the time

First at all sorry for my bad English :)

I know you are talking about DDOS, but

You wanna do something for the Ren X Community?

Stop fighting against each other? Stop blaming each other? Don't play “bad games” behind a curtain?

Fix old bugs and new ones.

Do we really need a lot of new maps? In my opinion not.

I play this game since B2 and I still like it (only have few time). Some ppl stop to playing Ren X because of the ddos attack , but new ppl start. People jump between different servers (while ddos) and get used to it. Not the best way for the future, but RenX player don't give up early.

About TMX and EKT :

I could say that both are doing a great job for the community. Both are using Anti-DDoS protection software. OK, sometimes failed, but it is not the fault of the server owner.

By the way, why I should play on a US server when my ping is higher than 100?

I will not do it.

At the end:

Thx to all server owner for giving us a big choice where we wanna and could play.

I don't need and want only one server !!!

Thx to all developer to keep the game alive and for spending your time on it.

One favour: please fix in the next update old bugs

Aristoteles

• Totem Arts Staff
Communities like TMX and EKT kept the game alive. It is also the difference between them or competition or whatever you want to call it that keeps them (and in return RenX) alive. Asking them to shut down their sevrvers and letting the DDoSer win is ridiculous. From what i hear both TMX and EKT are trying to get protection aswell so that should be encouraged.

I agree...

is what I would have said about 10-12 months ago when this was a thing. Honestly now, the clans can sustain themselves and get new members even without necessarily needing their OWN servers. Clan tags draw attention, and in a game this small they draw plenty of attention, not to mention if we just go the really crazy route and have a combined Teamspeak. Hosting it for less than 100 people isn't that difficult, and I'd even throw in more money to have that.

Any separation in the game's current state is bad separation... I mean there's literally a full on sect of the playerbase that only plays one day a week usually because they refuse to play on "X" server. That's enough separation right there, and breaking it down so that X-community wants to seed their own server even though Y-community doesn't even have a full server yet is about as annoying as it gets.

Also... it >was< a competitive relationship.. now it's just passive-aggressive nonsense.

Er, EKT, maybe. but as established before, TmX server owners can't afford the additional service.

As xD_ERROR_xD said, surely enough people should be found to pay for the additional 10€ a month that was mentioned here. That the serverowner cant (and shouldnt) pay for everything doesent mean the community cant.

• Totem Arts Staff
Er, EKT, maybe. but as established before, TmX server owners can't afford the additional service.

As xD_ERROR_xD said, surely enough people should be found to pay for the additional 10€ a month that was mentioned here. That the serverowner cant (and shouldnt) pay for everything doesent mean the community cant.

Hard to convince people to save a 2-legged horse with a broken leg.