Eta on Final version? Some Game Reviews to draw in traffic

Alkaline!

Well since we can' t get the site on Steam or Origin, I think the next best thing would to be to get a final version ready so it can be submitted to game review websites.

I think we would get a large influx of players once the game is reviewed on IGN, GameSpot, Pc Gamer e.t.c. granted many would be noobs but even if 10% decide to stick with it, all of the servers would be full.

Every day the player count is dropping I can't believe this happening all over again as it did with the original renegade...

• Totem Arts Staff

...player count is fluctuating, but it isn't necessarily dropping. It's a small community so it's just obvious when a good chunk of regulars don't play for awhile. Been through it before.

Besides, I see quit quite a few new players, aaaaand watch just as many see no point to Million Mine Marathon and leave forever, but still they're there. As for a final release...happens when we think it's show worthy to more than just people who happened to play Ren.

• Totem Arts Staff

Frankly not everyone's understanding though. I see regular people mines. Your worst case scenario for bad miner would be

- That people insists that he knows how to mine even though he does it wrong (probably right on another server and got used to it)

- That people does not communicate or does not know how to communicate

- That people doesn't understand English

- That people outright trolls your team

I know that teamwork is a great thing but one person can literally brings his/her teammate down with terrible mining because everyone's mines are tied up.

I think the best solution is to do what Bananas said n have the mine limit set to 1000 every map.

Have been pondering about making Valley 0 mines and see if that improves game play but i feel that will make sbh way OP on that map.

The DDoS shit and the crash to desktop issues people have been getting with Eyes and Mesa dont seem to be helping either 2bh.

As for advertising ive been recording some demos of teamwork / epic rushes n stuff n will put em on youtube even if it gets 100 views at least some of em might check renx out.

One of the main problems i see is we are very intolerent of noobs. Kick teh nub!! ( I find myself quietly raging when there is a guy in a middle of a med rush on our base buys a sak and runs out shooting the tanks. )

Can't we implement a 'trusted' miner? People can vote for the persons who can mine or the ladder arranges this.

1000 mines on a map? Serious? The reason I don't play on EKT is cause of the (too) high mine limit. On EKT I am sure that, if there's no teamwork, I can hardly achieve anything solo cause of the mines. I would have joined EKT more often if the mine limit was more reasonable (for my taste of gameplay) and I think you can check I've only played there less than 10 times. In fact when there is no server with a normal mine I don't play the game at all.

Off-course everyone can decide for him/herself what he likes.

• Totem Arts Staff
Can't we implement a 'trusted' miner? People can vote for the persons who can mine or the ladder arranges this.

1000 mines on a map? Serious? The reason I don't play on EKT is cause of the (too) high mine limit. On EKT I am sure that, if there's no teamwork, I can hardly achieve anything solo cause of the mines. I would have joined EKT more often if the mine limit was more reasonable (for my taste of gameplay) and I think you can check I've only played there less than 10 times. In fact when there is no server with a normal mine I don't play the game at all.

Off-course everyone can decide for him/herself what he likes.

Dude, no one wants to go to empty servers. Almost no one has the motivation to 'build up' population, that's why we never get filled up. I cannot possibly stay in TmX server all alone with no one helping. Last time we get filled up, I had Madkill and Super helping me getting player through population numbers in launcher

On mining issue, that's not what Bananas said.... at least not in the exclusive subforum..... I still think we need to try AT mine styled mining. Each people gets their own low limit. So as to not mess the whole team up with bad mining

[13] <@RX> Dingbat: 15 mines? you having a laugh?

[13] <@RX> Host: (Goks@IRC): lol

[13] <@RX> Host: (Goks@IRC): nope

[13] <@RX> Marty11: be glad you're gdi

[13] <@RX> +EKT-Kaiser: there are only two building to mine

[13] <@RX> Host: (Goks@IRC): i was thinking of having zero mines

[13] <@RX> Marty11: one less door to mine

Was thinking about make valley 0 mines but would make SBH a little OP.

Biggest issue right now is communities pushing their sub par servers and then getting DDOSed. Who knows how many players we've lost because of it.

Every time a DDOS happens, less then half the players hop over to another server. How many of those players don't even hop back on the game ever again after that?

• Totem Arts Staff
Biggest issue right now is communities pushing their sub par servers and then getting DDOSed. Who knows how many players we've lost because of it.

Every time a DDOS happens, less then half the players hop over to another server. How many of those players don't even hop back on the game ever again after that?

Well that was aggressive, but I've watched IRC enough throughout the day to know it's pretty true. If they aren't the super regular players, they generally don't come back.

Well that was aggressive, but I've watched IRC enough throughout the day to know it's pretty true. If they aren't the super regular players, they generally don't come back.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but we need to look at the major problem right now. I would venture to say most would agree with me.

You guys should be able to determine the IP address(es) that your servers are being ddos'd from, then create an ACL to deny traffic from that address/ those addresses. If you're not in control of your routers, then request this from your ISP, it's not hard to do.

tracing an DDoS-er's IP adress isn't really that easy to determine, because you would have to filter tens of thousands of IP's before you are able to get the right one. There's also a possibility his/her own IP isn't even listed if he let another botnet do the work for him. I wish there was an easier way to circumvent this issue...

Yeah maybe, but as long as you know what time the DDOS occurred, you can filter that time using a packet sniffing application, or logs on your router.

If the person is spoofing IP addresses as you've mentioned, then enabling unicast reverse-path will help mitigate that one.

I'm just putting it out there, because there are networking technologies that can help mitigate DDOS attacks, have any of the server owners had a chat to their ISP's?

Skeeze, senior admin and owner of TmX server, has chatted with the ISP and he needs 10 extra euros per month. He claimed he doesn't have the extra money

Meanwhile the ConstructiveTyranny server has mitigation that doesn't blacklist legit clients (like EKT) and has survived countless attacks already. We unfortunately don't have a group of dedicated monkeys to seed our server though.

Yeah maybe, but as long as you know what time the DDOS occurred, you can filter that time using a packet sniffing application, or logs on your router.

If the person is spoofing IP addresses as you've mentioned, then enabling unicast reverse-path will help mitigate that one.

I'm just putting it out there, because there are networking technologies that can help mitigate DDOS attacks, have any of the server owners had a chat to their ISP's?

Yes, I did. I have a solution and IT WORKS!

This game is dying because of the stubbornness of the current communities. Instead of working together on a solution, they're too busy pushing their servers just to feel good when it gets players on it. There isn't going to be much to feel good about when nobody's playing the game because it's too shitty of an experience getting DDOSed all the time.

Skeeze, senior admin and owner of TmX server, has chatted with the ISP and he needs 10 extra euros per month. He claimed he doesn't have the extra money

Meanwhile the ConstructiveTyranny server has mitigation that doesn't blacklist legit clients (like EKT) and has survived countless attacks already. We unfortunately don't have a group of dedicated monkeys to seed our server though.

Yes, I did. I have a solution and IT WORKS! Weird, huh?

This game is dying because of the stubbornness of the current communities. Instead of working together on a solution, they're too busy pushing their servers just to feel good when it gets players on it. There isn't going to much to feel good about when nobody's playing the game because it's too shitty of an experience getting DDOSed all the time.

I support this statement.

This game is dying because of the stubbornness of the current communities. Instead of working together on a solution, they're too busy pushing their servers just to feel good when it gets players on it. There isn't going to be much to feel good about when nobody's playing the game because it's too shitty of an experience getting DDOSed all the time.

Seriously. Need to stop protecting our precious community servers and go to ones that actually work. Agree 1000%

Seriously. Need to stop protecting our precious community servers and go to ones that actually work. Agree 1000%

So, will you be considering a public announcement once you got an agreement going with the other servers?

I agree with this statement until this issue is resolved.

So, will you be considering a public announcement once you got an agreement going with the other servers?

I agree with this statement until this issue is resolved.

There's no realistic way to convince the other server owners to take theirs offline until they have proper mitigation unfortunately. The level of butthurt and anger will be too damn high.

Pretty sure we can raise this.

People always complain nobody is seeding the server. While I don't have time on one hand (need to work till late) I also don't see the point if the servers get DDOSSED with more than five people on it.

Pretty sure we can raise this.

People always complain nobody is seeding the server. While I don't have time on one hand (need to work till late) I also don't see the point if the servers get DDOSSED with more than five people on it.

Then either:

1) Do it and seed

2) Don't do it and don't seed

Don't not do it then seed. Come on guys, this is very simple.

As far as I'm aware, TmX is the only real server still having DDoS issues atm? EKT seems to have adjusted much of their DDoS mitigation so that it's significantly more effective now (the attacker is apparently trying different types of attacks as a result), and CT also has fine mitigation in effect now. As I look at the launcher right now, I see that there are 3 servers populated -- one being CT, and the other two being EKT. At the current population levels, 3 active servers are honestly enough for the time being. It'd certainly be beneficial for TmX to get some tweak their mitigation a bit, especially if they plan to promote their server, though higher-end mitigation isn't critical/required per-se. That said, 10 euros/month isn't bad at all, and should be fairly easy for TmX to accomplish.

I'll be honest though, I haven't been on as much for the past few weeks, so I'm basing most of my information off of conversations with community owners/members rather than in-game experiences.

As far as I'm aware, TmX is the only real server still having DDoS issues atm? EKT seems to have adjusted much of their DDoS mitigation so that it's significantly more effective now (the attacker is apparently trying different types of attacks as a result), and CT also has fine mitigation in effect now. As I look at the launcher right now, I see that there are 3 servers populated -- one being CT, and the other two being EKT. At the current population levels, 3 active servers are honestly enough for the time being. It'd certainly be beneficial for TmX to get some tweak their mitigation a bit, especially if they plan to promote their server, though higher-end mitigation isn't critical/required per-se. That said, 10 euros/month isn't bad at all, and should be fairly easy for TmX to accomplish.

I'll be honest though, I haven't been on as much for the past few weeks, so I'm basing most of my information off of conversations with community owners/members rather than in-game experiences.

The reason 3 servers are full is because the 2 EKT ones are being misreported because of a recent DDOS attack