Alaska (RenX Map)

Xtractor

Thanks Guys :)

My project is like a Block out now no textures and stuff.

Wish to have a test playabilty to see were i need to make major changes before going on , But idk yet what its need to be playable for testing the gameplay .

Here a First SS of the map at a very Raw stage

(Silo in mountain is the objective no1 in the Story)

What you think ?

nowip.jpg.cbbcb1b85784a41f6ba5c7eac5d97f0c.jpg

57c9ee998a9ea_RX_Alaska2.jpg.ff1a10d262acc12205053ba14bbfab01.jpg

Interesting! Vehicle combat in the mountains!

I'd think of gameplay as well tho.. Make sure you have several vehicle routes! It might be interesting to use different passage levels?

Thanks for your feedback :)

I know there is nothing as asthetic yet to look for in the SS.

First i want to establish a Base for the gameplay.

And thinking of how the original Renegade maps was made I concluded that most of the time

There are 2 routes in mid map for ground vehicules and 1 route only that enter in the base some have 2 ,one map has 3,Most map has only 1 to enter in the ennemy base .

Field 1 ,Hourglass( 3routes to 1 entrance) , Wall 2 to 1 ,Island 2 to 1,and so on .

My map (as it is)has 2 entrances to each base but I think I will do 3 (But done a way that the defense team can handle ).

The Mountain only route for vehicules will be risky (vehicules could fall the cliff,(intend for some thrill driving) and hazardous.

Infantry will have many options to infiltrate ennemy base ,parachute will be handy :)

and for sure ( because I like flying :)) ) there will be flying around mountain for suprise rush and supporting ground vehicules :)..Oh and snipers will have fun :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This looks promising. Gl with it. If you need testers I would love to help :cool:

Thanks man ..Yep will need a load of testers before texturing .Doing 2 different base configuration is more touchy as is has not to be a one side win always .. Im not satified as it is right now, have to work more on it ..But despite it looks big I predict a fast map (by rushes) But will not be sure untill few load test

• 4 weeks later...
This is Pointless...and its Canceled and out

So what made your change your opinion?

^^ http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=75795#p156059

This made me lost my motivation...for the forum and the game

Deleting posts for 'pointless'as a reasons ...Jelly community was successfull because they knew how to manage their community in the goods and the bads and not by deleting posts

Ok, I am not sure what got deleted so hard for me to decide about... I've had my own collision with people in Ren-X (or sometimes not and people decided to not tell me the truth and talk behind my back) but it is not going to make me lose interest in the game. Remember that 'those people' are just a few in the community.

Edit: Added word 'lose'

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As you will see its going slowly,I hope to finish it before the next century :P

Id decide not to go with Obelix and AGT ,they are too game staling.

instead I will go with small ground/air defenses without them map is too easy.

I think the map will bring many tactic (vehicules and infantry)due to many routes so it shouldnt be predictable and boring .

Orca tour around and in Nod Base under ground/air pressure.

Still A lot to do and i hope im on a good track..let me know if you want

k5cu6P8rw98

Your at where I was about 2 months ago.

Those massive hills with the landscape tool. Replace them with rocks now. Just start stacking rocks forever until you've got the entire map layout done. Thats my advice. Helps prevent a lot of replacing structures and redoing lots of landscape stuff.

I'd also ask the makers of Snow & Artic stronghold to borrow some assets. Or just go to mesa & under to get stuff.

I usually flesh out my maps by painting the landscape texture, then the height, and then rocks. Placing rocks takes a lot of time compared to painting.

And before I even get started with the SDK I just draw the map on paper, just the layout, where the buildings are and some other points of interest. That workflow works best for me.

looking good! Keep placing those rocks and flesh that map out :)

Thanks for the encouragement will try my best

I usually flesh out my maps by painting the landscape texture, then the height, and then rocks. Placing rocks takes a lot of time compared to painting.

And before I even get started with the SDK I just draw the map on paper, just the layout, where the buildings are and some other points of interest. That workflow works best for me.

so many basic things that Idk how to..I guest I will have to face it one day.

If I can complete this simple first map and make it work it will be a start for future stuff .

• 2 weeks later...
hm interesting, the way you fill a map. i will take the way where i paint my map, make hills and than i place rocks around my hill like a mantlet.

how is it going btw.? making good progress? show us some pics (i wanna learn something ya know ;D).

Ill probably learn more from you wa-know ;p

Remember im newbie.

Coming slowly (wondering with so many rocks ..is it going to be too much pc demanding (idk))

There is one part of the map that im unsure how to layout yet ,so im playing around different scenario (Gameplay wise ).

Mb this week end ill upload a SS

lol, im a newbie too. i was only a pro at civ3, civ4 and stronghold 2 (loved the map editors there <3; especially civ 3 was just kickass).

hm, i also thought about if too many rocks would drop the fps... but im quite certain that the lightings are lot more gpu demanding than rocks. think of the map canyon... it has a lot of rocks in it and you can still play it without lags.

is it the map-part east of your gdi base (south of your nod base) you are unsure about?

Nod ref side to gdi base :

As it is GDI will have a much close base, Nod is more open and can be attacked from long distance.

Nod has some gameplay avantage Stealth (SBH ,ST) ,so it still can do a suprise infiltrate GDI.

I want to give Nod space for group of artys to attack gdi without been too short or too long road time also give a gdi posisbilty to sneak that Nod ref on that same side .

uf, difficult to accomplish. if you give nod too much space (in x and y axis) the arties will love it. too narrow and flamers might be too strong. too many ways and stanks will have their way with the gdi base if there arent enough defences around there. mrls might suck but if they are in a safe place to attack the buildings, they will ravage em.

looking forward to some SS.

so far m only tip /wish would be that you really should stick to that mountain stuff and make it the main attraction in your map (vehicles on mountains are kickass and kinda unique in ren-x) ^^.

oh nad maybe this could be of some use for you, just for lolz or so: http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 38&t=75852

is it the map-part east of your gdi base (south of your nod base) you are unsure about?

Do you see something south of Nod that can be a problem ?.

maybe, i need a better look at it though. make a nice screenshot or so. maybe me or someone else might have a good idea that also might appeal ya ^^.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks IllumZar

My first Main idea ,was making this map a Mountain Battle .Wich I kept ..But for the rest I didn't have any real Plan

So I  changed many things from what  was show at  the beginning ..(Buildings locations and selection,Landscape .. )

first I took off the obelix/AGT than I'd brougth them Back  change them from place to place

Paths were changed also .

But Now I think it shouldn't change much ,I'm pretty Happy with the overall map .

I just want to wait a little bit more before showing more that it's really  settle and adding more stuff like the Tiburium fields .

At the moment there is none :)  Haversters goes in empty fields

So ..Give me more time and I will  gladly post one ..soon™ ..I hope :)

Edited by Xtractor

• 2 years later...