Stank Buff

boxes

Using stanks right now is like playing the waiting game. Sitting back behind the GDI front line to pick off weak tanks sounds strong on paper, but in game this only leads to GDI getting more spam points and you watching them blow up your base.

You can try being aggressive and attack GDI tanks head-on with tech support. But of course, meds will easily overrun you and your tech with brute force. Mammoths will wreck you instantly in one volley of rockets and cannon fire, and you are an attractive target to all anti-tank GDI infantry.

Also, Orcas can easily avoid getting destroyed by stank missiles by quickly flying out of its small range or flying directly above it.

And lastly, Stank missiles are shit against all infantry.

So yeah. Stanks have no real effective use at the moment besides rushing, covering beacons, or crushing 1-2 hotwires behind tanks. Their missile trajectory is still quite random and stanks themselves are hard countered by all GDI infantry, especially with sidearms. This tank is too risky of an investment at the moment; you are much better off getting two artys or an apache. If HoN is up, you can always wait and get yourself a 1K and do much more than your stank will ever do.

Increase damage vs heavy armor?

Increase range?

Increase missile splash radius?

Increase missile speed?

~

Edit: It seems so far that an accuracy and damage vs. heavy armor buff is the way to go.

Personally, a slight range buff I think would be necessary to counter Orcas.

Edited by Guest

I'm quite happy with the stanks how they are atm. They are ment to be opportunistic vechs similar to the SBH.

Also Stanks are great if you have a tech say on walls n sneak behind the ref/pp and disarm mines to get the building. Defo a seat of your pants moment thou.

Wonder what other people think?

• Totem Arts Staff

A single Stank alnost destroyed a GDI Weapons Factory in Lakeside in this one game in TmX (I think). I was its' sole defender since everyone else was at an Orca Rush operation as a comeback after Nod destroyed our Barracks. It managed to ruin WF to 40+% since all I have was an APC

Also, Stank can be used for scouting (which SBH can do as well, but Stank is stronger) and... well, attraction magnet which can buy the actual assault force some time to mount up. In Beta 3 I also like to use it as surprise panic device for GDI infantries or vehicles, more on the former though.

Just some points to add on the judgement

I think that the stealth tank needs even less curvature on the missiles, to provide more accuracy against infantry. The shells should come out straighter, so that a person can at least hit the ground next to infantry and do splash damage.

I think it has plenty of damage. If someone don't repair, 1 or 2 can easily pick off a structure in the back of a base like x mountain or canyon or islands in less than 30 secs.

I thought it needed more range. But actually, it does reach better than I thought. It can hit the wf from field entrance, unlike I thought. It just doesn't, because of inaccuracy.

I will be specific in my suggestion: I suggest the weapon muzzle and turret, be invisible inside of their chassis. The x Axis will be locked to the chassis turning with it, or more easily, just the same speed as chassis turn. The up and down will be quick, the two missile muzzle will be real close together and face the same angle together, and so it will fire practically side by side.

I say that, because I believe directly the missile origins are actual positions on the tank front and are too far apart and angled differently to fire together and hit the same thing. Making them invisible points that are more flush from within the tanks top, makes them fire more closely together. Everyone would love that.

Their missile trajectory is still quite random and stanks themselves are hard countered by all GDI infantry, especially with sidearms. This tank is too risky of an investment at the moment; you are much better off getting two artys or an apache. If HoN is up, you can always wait and get yourself a 1K and do much more than your stank will ever do

Yes! People used stanks much more in earlier Betas (maybe B2?), now it's just not worth it to buy one anymore. Yeah on larger maps (like Lakeside and Xmountain) you can drive around and surprise people, but on the others it's almost useless. You have to think twice before attacking even weakened tanks. As the only Nod tank (not counting APC) with anti-air, you are trying to fend off orcas? good luck with that.

Currently it feels like you are sitting in a super expensive invisible cardbox car that does nothing else.

In my opinion it needs more stable missile trajectory and somewhat higher range.

Edited by Guest

Currently it feels like you are sitting in a super expensive invisible cardbox car that does nothing else.

Thats the perfect formulation, stank is the least used vehicle for me. I have bought it less than 10 times im sure.

You have a better chance of bringing down a vehicle sneaking up behind with an engineer, at least you can decide where your remotes land.

Thats what ive found myself doing the few times ive used it honestly, jumping out of the stank and throwing C4. Then jump back in while praying one of my stank shots can knock-off the remaining HP.

The stank should be able to win against a med if it can get off 2-3 free shots, using surprise and positional advantage. If it cant do that then a light tank is better.

Oh men, STank and generaly Nod vehicles are so useless. If there is 12GDI vs 12Nod vehicles.. whi is winner is clear. There should be on server +3vehicle limit for Nod. But I went from the topic now...

Stank's rockets should defenitely get more accuracy and bigger range, becouse they can easily miss even large targets and even free infantry soldier is very dangerous for stanks.

Sure there could be made interesting rush with stanks, but we should always count with situation good team vs good team and in this situations are stanks useless now.

• Totem Arts Staff

That's because Nod's tank are not meant to overpower GDI's own head on. If you're just slamming your Light tank to a Med Tank without thinking twice... or rushing a single flame tank to an MRLS without a tech in a straight path, I'm afraid you're just doing it wrong

Stank though... I dunno. 400 stealthy hp with not-so-decent rocket doesn't seem worth the money

In the original Renegade a stank and a med one on one were perfectly equal and the loser was determined by who missed first. Then again the "sprinting" for a stank makes it excel at crushing hotties from behind.

I do not believe that to be accurate.

400/62 = 6.45

6.45*1.5 = 9.68

800/92 = 8.7

8.7*1.5 = 13.04

Med tank would die in 13 seconds, and the stealth tank would die in under 10. Just going off of what I remember the calculations to be and tired math, though, so could be wrong.

• Totem Arts Staff
In the original Renegade a stank and a med one on one were perfectly equal and the loser was determined by who missed first. Then again the "sprinting" for a stank makes it excel at crushing hotties from behind.

I do not believe that to be accurate.

400/62 = 6.45

6.45*1.5 = 9.68

800/92 = 8.7

8.7*1.5 = 13.04

Med tank would die in 13 seconds, and the stealth tank would die in under 10. Just going off of what I remember the calculations to be and tired math, though, so could be wrong.

I just remember form the old days that when I used a stank against a med I could win 1 on 1, both full health.

Edit: Maybe a med will win as long as it doesn't miss, but a stank will still inflict considerable damage, not like the Renegade X stank that has those missiles shooting overhead.

If all that calculating is true, the stank gets 2 missiles off before the med tank can respond if firing from cloak from where his turret wasn't aimed.

If the stank had missiles that didn't hit random stuff, it could still win engagements even with current stats.

If all that calculating is true, the stank gets 2 missiles off before the med tank can respond if firing from cloak from where his turret wasn't aimed.

If the stank had missiles that didn't hit random stuff, it could still win engagements even with current stats.

Just tested ingame (RenX). With every missile hitting, medium tank kills stealth tank in 9 seconds. On the contrary, it takes 15 seconds for a stealth tank to kill a medium one. So even if the stank gets 2 missiles off at the start, it still doesn't matter.

Just tested ingame (RenX). With every missile hitting, medium tank kills stealth tank in 9 seconds. On the contrary, it takes 15 seconds for a stealth tank to kill a medium one. So even if the stank gets 2 missiles off at the start, it still doesn't matter.

That's really only 2 seconds longer than the Renegade stealth tank then. Perhaps a very minor buff in damage to come close to matching that would be beneficial.

That's really only 2 seconds longer than the Renegade stealth tank then. Perhaps a very minor buff in damage to come close to matching that would be beneficial.

In that arguement, consider bringing the TOW missiles damage up against heavy armor higher. Their structure damage is decent tbh. Don't want to make them better flame tanks for a mere 100 credits more.

It is more important that the missiles do better turning and straighter initial firing with closer firing points and angles between the two missiles.

True, the base damage should remain the same, but the damage from the missiles' warhead to vehicle armor should be slightly increased. That's a good point.

I also agree with your second point, as that is my biggest gripe with the unit right now. The accuracy vs anything close-range, and especially infantry is horrendous. It shouldn't be great at this, but at least decent.

True, the base damage should remain the same, but the damage from the missiles' warhead to vehicle armor should be slightly increased. That's a good point.

I also agree with your second point, as that is my biggest gripe with the unit right now. The accuracy vs anything close-range, and especially infantry is horrendous. It shouldn't be great at this, but at least decent.

If that became a problem, nerfing it's vs-infantry would be the next logical conclusion. Besides, stank don't need anti-infantry weapon, crushing them suffices. It isn't guaranteed on more clever infantry, but I am great at spotting stanks and sometimes they just hit at the most perfect angle with enough speed that it can't be dodged.

If that became a problem, nerfing it's vs-infantry would be the next logical conclusion. Besides, stank don't need anti-infantry weapon, crushing them suffices. It isn't guaranteed on more clever infantry, but I am great at spotting stanks and sometimes they just hit at the most perfect angle with enough speed that it can't be dodged.

I think it do needs some buff against infantry. There are a lot of situation when you are fighting infantry (for example grenadier, mcfarland, gunner, or anything with tiberium weapons) uncloaked.

Whenever an infantry starts shooting at me, I always just try to "run" away, because stank is currently not capable of killing them fast enough or at all. When I see an uncloaked stank as an infantry, I just go attack it, it's almost like a sitting duck, can hardly defend itself.

I think it do needs some buff against infantry. There are a lot of situation when you are fighting infantry (for example grenadier, mcfarland, gunner, or anything with tiberium weapons) uncloaked.

Whenever an infantry starts shooting at me, I always just try to "run" away, because stank is currently not capable of killing them fast enough or at all. When I see an uncloaked stank as an infantry, I just go attack it, it's almost like a sitting duck, can hardly defend itself.

It can't do everything for you. Not at the cheap cost of 900. It already can cloak, that is why it cannot be stronger than a med besides in an ambush. If a med gets the first shot off, it should easily be able to take one down with 1/3 it's health remaining.

But a med can currently win after being blindsided. The stank needs to be stronger than that. More accurate too.

Besides that, it can crush infantry, but infantry have always been a customary counter to stanks, as automatics can highlight them with fire even if an autorifle, and anti-armor can make quick work of them as the grenadier should.

Besides that, think about it, the stank is 900 and is invisible, and the PIC/Rail is 1000 and isn't invisible. Does it really need that buff?

The Stealth Tank needs improving!

C&C Renegade Stank =

1) Faster

2) Better accuracy

3) More damage to heavier vehicles

4) Seems to last longer against enemy vehicles

Please improve the stank because atm its dirt, it shouldn't belong on the battlefield but oh wait, Nod spam them when under attack Nice Defense, from experience (I buy a light and the team buy stanks, all stanks get destroyed but I still have light and we lose, nice one)

At least improve one option, I say option 1/2 but improving option 2 would be the best bet!

C&C Renegade Stank =

1) Faster

2) Better accuracy

Please improve the stank because atm its dirt, it shouldn't belong on the battlefield but oh wait, Nod spam them when under attack Nice Defense, from experience (I buy a light and the team buy stanks, all stanks get destroyed but I still have light and we lose, nice one)

At least improve one option, I say option 1/2 but improving option 2 would be the best bet!

2+3.

Option 1 isn't necessary because of the tank "sprint."

Option 4 isn't really true. It just requires a bit of a different play style against certain tanks (such as the mammy).

In classic Renegade Stealth Tank is the 2nd most effective vehicle vs buildings.

Many years ago people did tests. 1 vehicle vs 1 full HP building.

#1 is Mammoth Tank secondary fire (Tusk Missile). Destroy building in like 26 seconds.

#2 is Stealth Tank. Destroy building within 30 seconds, but a little longer than Mammoth Tank.

Other vehicles like Flame Tank, Mobile Artillery / MLRS, etc. destroy building using more than 30 seconds.

Basically it means 3 Stealth Tanks in classic Renegade destroy a single building within 10 seconds. Therefore Stealth Tank rush was very very very popular. In Renegade-X, only in few cases we can see Stealth Tank rushes.

By the way, Stealth Tank can do 1 vs 1 (stand still and shoot each other) on Medium Tank in classic Renegade. Consider it is $100 more expensive and 1/2 HP, the damage is reasonable.

In classic Renegade Stealth Tank is the 2nd most effective vehicle vs buildings.

#1 is Mammoth Tank secondary fire (Tusk Missile). Destroy building in like 26 seconds.

#2 is Stealth Tank. Destroy building within 30 seconds, but a little longer than Mammoth Tank.

Other vehicles like Flame Tank, Mobile Artillery / MLRS, etc. destroy building using more than 30 seconds.

Basically it means 3 Stealth Tanks in classic Renegade destroy a single building within 10 seconds. Therefore Stealth Tank rush was very very very popular. In Renegade-X, only in few cases we can see Stealth Tank rushes.

By the way, Stealth Tank can do 1 vs 1 (stand still and shoot each other) on Medium Tank in classic Renegade. Consider it is $100 more expensive and 1/2 HP, the damage is reasonable.

I don't entirely like everything about classic Ren though. One arguement, is that it flattens infantry pretty effectively with straightline sprint speed.

I'd like to see what a damage increase does in light of kill time differences between meds, but I am not sure if it should actually be stronger than a med, for just 100 creds more, and the lack of health is easily excuseable for the cloak.

I have a video, we almost destroyed a Bar in about 30 seconds with 2 stanks, if the team commited we would have scored a kill but me and 1 other guy manned up. It was at 4 percent when repairs overpowered us. A very slight damage buff would both make 2 stanks effective surprise building killers and effective against a med tank from behind it's turret (as the med tank would not initiate the fight in time to win the fight)

#2 is actually the flame tank. The stealth tank does the same damage as the artillery to buildings, so they come tied at #3. Followed slightly by the MRLS.

Your last point was already proven false by my above calculations (you can go test this out if you need more proof).

C&C Renegade Stank =

1) Faster

2) Better accuracy

2+3.

Option 1 isn't necessary because of the tank "sprint."

Option 4 isn't really true. It just requires a bit of a different play style against certain tanks (such as the mammy).

Well, i gotta agree with your reply....

Yes the sprint is decent but the original stank still moved faster but that doesn't matter that much

However number 2) Better accuracy is extremely important and requires improvement, i see so many stanks get annihilated as the missiles screw up, i hate the missiles too - worse than the mammy - the accuracy needs improving.

With option 4 it just seems the stank lasts longer : )

On the other hand with option 2 the stank seems weak against heavily armored tanks and therefore gets destroyed if seen - not worth the 900

• 3 weeks later...

I am playing around with this now.

However, if the Stank has 45*2 damage and 1.7 reload (we will call it 1.8 because the slight delay between the seperate missiles per clip), and the med does 64 damage and 1.5 reload...

...and their healths, Stealth Tank is 400 and Med tank is 60-... 800. Wow, how did I not know that...

...in that case, it can sort of be seen why the med takes twice as long to kill...

...okay, so mathematically, if the rockets were given 56*2 at 1.7, they would do damage at about the rate of 7 shots for the meds 8, and that would be... 714 damage from stank, and 532 damage from the med... Subtract 2 shots from the med, and you get 414.

So, buffing the stealth tank damage, by 12 percent, is still just a bit too little 1v1, but I bet in multiple engagements it would still completely turn the tables. I am actually honestly a little afraid to try to buff it by 15 percent, because as you see it already does high dps compared to the med, 40 additional damage per shot and that scales nearly 2x to structures, and any more than 1 stealth tank against any 1 target would be a big difference, even if it's against 2 meds and both stanks target 1 med, it would be slaughter for the first med and then big damage for the second one. 3 stanks would pretty much remove their first target from existance before the others can react, leaving greater number of stanks versus tanks afterwards.

I could go for 56 though. Got a date today and birthday party tomorrow and shit, but interested in looking into a mutator for this. Can't copy-paste what infantry changes have been using, but already read the code and got some ideas on how to do the same for a vehicle, likely using "event prebeginplay" and swapping stank gunclass for a modified stank weapon with 56 damage and turning up the homing effect. EDIT: Found a guide that it can be done, needs adjusted to work for RenX code

I don't think there is much we can do to "make the missile muzzles face closer inward" unless the devs do it, but the bottom muzzle needs to face a slight arc upward instead of straight because it hits terrain too much, and the top one needs to face farther down because it hits ceilings or rocks or misses entirely when trying to come down at the target. I think the muzzles aim at about 35 degree angles, they should be closer to 20 degrees difference.

Decreasing the reload time would make stanks too strong against buildings, unless a nerf on structure damage is also implemented.

I don't think they were too strong in Renegade? Especially since GDI tanks are generally a bit stronger in RenX comparitably.

Nod isn't an acronym.

I think it's important that we keep in mind how effective the balance was in Renegade, and use that.

I distinctly remember someone mentioning that the Stank was stronger in Renegade?

Then why wouldn't we bring damage up to at least 56 ish?

Otherwise, if it is just a solo man stealth apc or a enemy-squisher, just make it 750. I think it is close already though, a damage tweak should take care of it.

And with Gunner buffs, and Patch... well he is still Patch, but I doubt Nod Vehicles will be too strong.

Just move the reload time down to 1.5 like it was in Renegade and make the missiles have less of an arc upon shooting. Voila.

They're not stronger in Renegade because of the damage. The damage is equal iirc. It's just the reload time and the higher inaccuracy that makes them less effective.

Okay, plan when i get home, is to make a mutator, that subs the stank weapon with a modified one:

-->>EDIT: Code-wise, it requires creating 1 less file to just edit ROF instead of damage. So Balance wise, the Reload is 1.5 and I think 1.7 comes from the delay between 2 missiles. So I lowered it to 1.3.

-->>Function wise, i am going to try something i just came up with. It has 2 muzzles for missiles. Mcfarland has 2 fire types attached to 1 ammo. Well, i will try to attach its 2 missiles to primary fire only front barrel and secondary fire from top. That should improve accuracy, not hamper aa ability, and may be complex to figure out but meh.

• 1 month later...

Kane wishes to see tiberium core missiles loaded onto his stealth tanks, and the messiah shall have upgraded stealth tanks on his disposal. Nobody wants to disappoint kane or he shall suffer the wrath of the brotherhood. Peace through power. One vision, one purpose.

1- stanks should get faster rockets,otherwise orcas are just going to run away,which is anoying considering that the armor of the stank is low...........or at least make the rockets more accurate so that orcas dodging rockets would be harder

2-stanks vs armor damage is fine to me,it's just that people may want to start attacking from behind so that they have the advantage of first fire

3- I use stanks alot on lakeside and they are the key to get the field actually :

step1 : get 3-4 stanks and sneak'em behind the camping GDI vehicles infront of the base

step2 : crush down the hotwires but make sure the tanks don't realize it then kill the MRLS (which usually are behind the bigger tanks and orcas)

step 3 : get behind a rock or the silo and start shooting at the mammoth tanks,with Beta 5 stank's rocket swing,you can just hide behind objects and fire,and you can even shoot them up to 3 times and they won't realize it xD

and then just rush in the rest

sorry for going off topic there,but I wanted to show an example to how OP stanks are BUT ONLY IF you know how to use them right,also the stank missilses are kinda bugged if you stick close to your target,so try to keep a distance from the enemy

Super-Kh":3l7bz9zn]1- stanks should get faster rockets,otherwise orcas are just going to run away,which is anoying considering that the armor of the stank is low...........or at least make the rockets more accurate so that orcas dodging rockets would be harder

2-stanks vs armor damage is fine to me,it's just that people may want to start attacking from behind so that they have the advantage of first fire

3- I use stanks alot on lakeside and they are the key to get the field actually :

step1 : get 3-4 stanks and sneak'em behind the camping GDI vehicles infront of the base

step2 : crush down the hotwires but make sure the tanks don't realize it then kill the MRLS (which usually are behind the bigger tanks and orcas)

step 3 : get behind a rock or the silo and start shooting at the mammoth tanks,with Beta 5 stank's rocket swing,you can just hide behind objects and fire,and you can even shoot them up to 3 times and they won't realize it xD

and then just rush in the rest

sorry for going off topic there,but I wanted to show an example to how OP stanks are BUT ONLY IF you know how to use them right,also the stank missilses are kinda bugged if you stick close to your target,so try to keep a distance from the enemy

Brother you are right, the knowledge of using kane's prized possession is going to accelerate the speed of kane's ultimate goal, ascension. Since stanks are invisible, ze weak GDI orcas will not see the missiles comin until he sees kane's wrath shootin into his face. Stanks are already OP shit, even tho if kane's arsenal can receive a buff, let kane's weapons receive ze buff. For Kane For NOD for his one vision and one purpose.

The Inner Circle Propaganda Division,

ljl87

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up. Stanks are still underwhelming for their cost, and a lot of same problems still persist. A reason to buy them before 5.003 was for AA, but that's not really necessary anymore b/c APCs, Buggys, and lasers are way better at taking down air (range, hitscan).

Another thing that annoys me is their wonky lock-on to orcas flying above them. I think this was mentioned before in another thread.

Range buff, and an increase in missile speed. I can argue about this for a long time, but again, to simply put it: for 900 credits, there are so many better options than a stank.

Ex: Arty+Tech-massive range, massive damage. Instead of having one Arty dealing damage and one stank watching that med get chipped down to half health until it finally does something only to end up getting caught by a mobius nearby, how about 2 Artys to add 2x more of that damage? Cheaper, more reliable, easier.

Or how about 3 Buggies+Engie-Ultimate MRLS/infantry/air killer. 1/3 of the price. Charge at a camping MRLS and they will miss all their shots if you zig zag. Sit next to it and gun it down. Blown up by something else? C4 the MRLS and bam, you still did your job. If you kill even one hotwire, you did your job. Instead of getting a stank to run down some annoying hotties or MRLS only to end up getting caught by a soldier, you can always grab a buggy to go hunting. Kill any infantry Tier 2 and above, you did your job. With buggies, you get three tries, and with a stank, you get one. Orcas? Buggies have the range, the hitscan, and the cost. Far better AA option.

Stanks are really good at:

Rushing, if not spotted. If anybody accidentally fires or if somebody takes damage, whole rush is fucked and all money goes down the drain.

Sneaking a tech in a base by trading with an SBH

Covering beacons. But even that's a little iffy; you only have one drive-through for crushes before the whole GDI team knows there's a stank there.

And note that none of these are related to events occurring in the field. Increasing their range and missile speed with make them a more optimal choice for AA, more consistent damage against tanks and infantry, and would allow them to hide behind Nod's front line to add surprise damage (something they can already do, but at a risky range).

• 4 weeks later...

STanks would be deadly in a map which supported their craft, as they are right now.

Although in practice STanks would probably hop against the scenery and hit nothing but the scenery.

Missile arch for STanks is ridiculous to say their range is bogus, STanks range feels the same as either Mammys/Meds range.

Shoot straight from fire or more range, one of these is necessary and considering the Meds go relatively faster than a STank at times I think I'd prefer range. (if not both)

Stealth'n'Dagger is one thing but missiles are more like arrows than daggers and you don't put an Archer within a sword's length.