Beacons immune last 10 seconds. THIS IS STUPID.

ZTDELTA

This is utter bullshit. Makes beacons too easy to plant knowing all you have to do is get to the final 10 seconds. This is an absolutely not in the spirit of the original renegade. In regular renegade, it got quite intense when you finally killed off the beacon defenders and had 3-4 engies disarming it at the last second..those moments were worth savoring.

Now even when the sbh is dead and there are 2-3 engies who are disarming it and its sitting at 0% w/ 8 seconds left, and you can't do didly squat...that is just wrong.

I've been both a victim and perpetrator, laughing at the enemy team when they get to it too late and know its inevitable. This is really a design that ruins the spirit of the original game.

Whoever thought of this idea of immune beacons needs to be shot.

It takes longer to get there, so all in all you actually have a bit more time to disarm.

However, I do hate it anyway. You should be able to disarm it as long as it didn't go boom, might not be completely realistic, but felt FAR more intense, and far less cheap.

But the real problem is really in the beeping (which is just, odd, and its hard to know how far it is, in Renegade it had a very clear change in its pitch, now it just doesn't) and the audio cue & visual cue when its placed... well I always miss them.

This has all been discussed before, though.

Edited by Guest

It Is being reconsidered with another alternative option that will take time to implement. Thank you for your input and please be patient :)

For the record though, even with the immune time, the beacon disarmable time is actually 5 seconds longer in renegade x than renegade. But trust me, I know where you're coming from and am all for a redo of the system.

Another problem is that beacons make no sound while being deployed as they did in the original.

Notice the loud noise the beacon makes while being deployed in cnc renegade.

Their hitboxes seem to be smaller than the ones in renegade.

I noticed that too, it needs to come back.

Plus without free aim it's really hard to disarm a beacon while moving around because remaining stationary is pretty much an invitation to get shot in the back.

It was a bug when the nuke was touching the ground in legacy Renegade, and instantly "disappeared" because of last second diffuse.

It is better that the beacon locks, then the weapon fires afterwards.

However, it should "time" the critical time and not the strike time. It should say "You have 30 seconds before final lock-on", and after "5-4-3-2-1"...

It should make a "loud ping" and say "Weapon locked, evacuate area" and the beacon disappears so people aren't trying to disarm it... That sudden silence with that loud ping would be sooo ominous and perfect to signify the "now were too late" moment. Then, the firing annimation occurs and the destruction happens.

SO THOSE ARE MY SUGGESTIONS:

1) Countdown to lock-on, not countdown to strike.

2) After countdown to zero, weapon locks and not strikes, Loud Ping, Announcement, Beacon disappears, Ominous silence

3) The strike afterwards begins to happens and happens.

You guys are failing to consider that there is sprint so you can get to the beacon quicker. Also you actually have an additional 5 seconds to disarm when comparing it to Renegade. The reason the immune disarm was added so it doesn't look ridiculous when a rocket just disappears out of the air.

You guys are failing to consider that there is sprint so you can get to the beacon quicker. Also you actually have an additional 5 seconds to disarm when comparing it to Renegade. The reason the immune disarm was added so it doesn't look ridiculous when a rocket just disappears out of the air.

Thus my suggestion.

and you have time to get out the way now so there are less massive kill streaks

You're kidding, right? The new beacons can't kill much else alongside the building but the engineers working on it (thanks to splash damage not going through walls), which they deserve to die if they fail.

And that change for "realism" is for the worst for the gameplay, for the beacon mechanics to make sense and removes the intensity of the last second disarming.

See why I hate those excuses.

• Totem Arts Staff

Moot point. In Renegade X, the beacon disarm time is not shorter than it was in Renegade, it's actually 5 seconds longer. Plus, you've got the sprinting and the secondary weapons, which make a difference when looking for nukes and fighting defenders. You still have to fight to get to the beacon... the 10 second immunity is merely a warning to get out of the way. In Renegade, the nuke would disappear right above your head when disarmed like that - or the Ion laser would engulf the target and then it would stop. There's a difference between realism and believability - Renegade X is not meant to be a realistic game, but that does not mean we'd like our game to look ridiculous either. In Renegade, nukes barely even had a damage radius. You can practically stand within the explosion and not get damaged. In Renegade X, the nuke is actually something that needs to be escaped. I'd even bet that despite the 10 second warning, our nuke kills more people than Renegade's.

There's a lot to nitpick about in this beta, but this is just a matter of Renegade X not being identical to the original game. I'm sure if C&C Renegade had a 10 second warning this thread wouldn't have existed.

what would look more ridiculous than a laser bean that repair all? i mean came on..

also this.

there are not many things more intense and satisfying as a last second disarm. both sides hold their breath awaiting the outcome.... is it going to hit? is it? followed by the YESSSSS!!!!! or DAMNITTTT SOO CLOSE. that's what so great about renegade

the way it works now takes away the feeling this gentleman describes, and for what? for aesthetic matters? it doesnt worth it imo.

what would look more ridiculous than a laser bean that repair all? i mean came on..

also this.

there are not many things more intense and satisfying as a last second disarm. both sides hold their breath awaiting the outcome.... is it going to hit? is it? followed by the YESSSSS!!!!! or DAMNITTTT SOO CLOSE. that's what so great about renegade

the way it works now takes away the feeling this gentleman describes, and for what? for aesthetic matters? it doesnt worth it imo.

Agreed

It was more fun in renegade when you can disarm beacons in the last second. It was an adrenalin rush when you disarm beacons in the last second.

I agree that something needs to be changed with that invulnerability period.

I have seen so many people complain about the beacon being bugged in chat after attempting to repair it after the 10 second countdown had started. Perhaps similar to what was suggested earlier in this thread, I would still like to see that invulnerability period where the beacon cannot be defused (to prevent a nuke from disappearing in mid air), but have that activate after the timer reaches 0. It would turn out something like this:

Beacon is planted

Timer countdown to zero

Ten seconds of invulnerability for the beacon

Ion cannon/nuke comes in and detonates

I do like that the issue is fixed with disappearing ion cannons/nukes, but more needs to be done in order to avoid frustration from those that aren't familiar with this 10 second period.

I just hated it the first few times when I thought the damn thing was bugged and I was just standing their like an idiot fruitlessly trying to shoot it with my magic happy gun; and then afterwards, several real world pieces of furniture got tossed around the room.

I have to agree the beacon shouldnt become immune. maybe make it turn red or have a open up animation at that given time signaling its too late?

Have it ping and disappear lol.

I love the fix from old renegade, yet it could be less ambiguous. It should lay out on the table the exact moment its too late. The beacon is there so peps keep trying to disarm. No, its not too late when "imminent" is announced, I've disarmed slightly after that announcement before.

otherwise I agree with the dev, had the original delayed the strike post-lock on, this thread wouldn't exist.

No need to discuss something that's been discussed countless times before AND already is being worked on...

well, can't wait till secondary weapon locking and beacon ambiguity and airstrike overuse is fixed. Those are three undeniably over discussed problems. Everything else is not as big.

I guess also server joining sometimes sending you into random game, the intro not being esc skippable, and the c4 and beacons sometimes don't diffuse even when shot and do blow up

No need to discuss something that's been discussed countless times before AND already is being worked on...

well, can't wait till secondary weapon locking and beacon ambiguity and airstrike overuse is fixed. Those are three undeniably over discussed problems. Everything else is not as big.

I guess also server joining sometimes sending you into random game, the intro not being esc skippable, and the c4 and beacons sometimes don't diffuse even when shot and do blow up

Are you trying to insult me because i said what? I did nothing wrong?

Not funny, seriously.

So it looks to me like you guys sacrificed a bit of gaming experience in order to make the game more realistic. In this one instance I have to say, shame on you. Renegade isn't about realism. You should know that. Sure, you may have given us more time, but you also gave us a taunting, frustrating, evil beacon which cannot be stopped. I really don't care if a nuclear bomb just vanishes right over my head, if I'm so frantic about shutting it off. Now, watching a nuke hit is just sad and disappointing. Everyone gives up.

So I have a fix to that. Create an animation for failed nuke launches, and maybe even failed ion strikes. How about, the missile shell just hits the ground and doesn't go off? Like it's a dud? I think that's an awesome idea!

So I have a fix to that. Create an animation for failed nuke launches, and maybe even failed ion strikes. How about, the missile shell just hits the ground and doesn't go off? Like it's a dud? I think that's an awesome idea!

i like that idea ...

maybe an explosion in the sky

i like that idea ...

i second that.

Fobby[GEN]":1ckutldc]Moot point. In Renegade X, the beacon disarm time is not shorter than it was in Renegade, it's actually 5 seconds longer. Plus, you've got the sprinting and the secondary weapons, which make a difference when looking for nukes and fighting defenders. You still have to fight to get to the beacon... the 10 second immunity is merely a warning to get out of the way. In Renegade, the nuke would disappear right above your head when disarmed like that - or the Ion laser would engulf the target and then it would stop. There's a difference between realism and believability - Renegade X is not meant to be a realistic game, but that does not mean we'd like our game to look ridiculous either. In Renegade, nukes barely even had a damage radius. You can practically stand within the explosion and not get damaged. In Renegade X, the nuke is actually something that needs to be escaped. I'd even bet that despite the 10 second warning, our nuke kills more people than Renegade's.

There's a lot to nitpick about in this beta, but this is just a matter of Renegade X not being identical to the original game. I'm sure if C&C Renegade had a 10 second warning this thread wouldn't have existed.

I agree with the reasoning, though I can understand there is some confusion as to the countdown. From the moment the beacon is placed you have roughly 35 seconds to disarm it before the final 10 second animation kicks in. But the countdown actually counts down to the moment of impact, not the time left to disarm. This gives you a real kick in the balls when you hear 'fifteen' and rush over to the beacon thinking you have enough time to still disarm it, only to find it immune 5 seconds later. It's confusing which is why people hate it.

The beacon countdown and the impact animation should be two separate things IMO. Count down from 30 to the point of no return. Then make the beacon disappear and start a separate animation and sound for the final 10 seconds. Airhorns going off in the base and EVA/CABAL(?) announcing the weapon has launched.

"Nuclear missile launched. Evacuate target area." or "Ion cannon lock on established. Evacuate target area."

and you have time to get out the way now so there are less massive kill streaks

I think if you managed to defend it for 30 seconds you deserve the kills. Unlike say, pointing a laser at an area from a safe spot and getting 20 kills in a few seconds.

So that point is completely invalid.

Simply make the countdown reach 0 when it's not disarmable anymore.

Its sad your complaining about the last 10 second of the of a 56 second count down being immune. Its your fault if you wait for the countdown to start. They give you 30 seconds from the first warning till the countdown starts. But i guess they could fix it to the way your wanting it by having it start the count down as soon as the beacon placed giving you only 30 seconds to find kill any defenders and disarm it. But I willing to bet if they did that you would complain its too short of a time. Once people learn to work as a team and there is tanks defending the beacons instead of just infantry.

The 56 seconds is the entire nuke from placement till impact. With the immunity around the 47 second mark. Not exact count down but its the best I could get to being exact.

I have a nice idea that doesn't take too much effort to implement yet makes it clear the beacon can't be disarmed after a certain point.

Make a nuke beacon glow BRIGHT red (perhaps constant glowing on and off) and an ion cannon beacon BRIGHT blue. This makes it clear to players that the nuke/ion cannon can't be disarmed and lore wise you can brush it off as reaching an unhackable state where it can no longer be hacked (which is what I assume the repair guns are doing when disarming beacons and mines).

Either that or set it so that the beacon can be disarmed after the countdown with a voice over of "beacon disarmed" once it is or something. My former idea is more of a quick fix yet I think it gets the job done well enough.

I dont really see the problem with the way it is now. But if people prefer the last minute missile disarm thing, maybe you could have it have like a disarm explosion. So when the missile is right over the building and somebody disarms it, there is a very small explosion that signifies it was disarmed, kind of like in movies where the missiles blows up over everybody's head instead of the target.

I dont really see the problem with the way it is now. But if people prefer the last minute missile disarm thing, maybe you could have it have like a disarm explosion. So when the missile is right over the building and somebody disarms it, there is a very small explosion that signifies it was disarmed, kind of like in movies where the missiles blows up over everybody's head instead of the target.

The problem is that it's not known that it CAN'T be disarmed 'till after you learn the hard way or through word of mouth (as is the case with me). As for your small explosion idea, that could be interesting. Could do part damage to a building (say 20-30%) as punishment for getting the beacon in place to begin with (But since black hand can set them easier, perhaps not).

I, too, dislike the new system. I do hope it gets revised. I've heard talk of a rather perfect way to settle it, but I don't know if it's going to be implemented.

Hate's method? I think Ive seen at least one of the devs say they were going to use it.

The problem is that it's not known that it CAN'T be disarmed 'till after you learn the hard way or through word of mouth (as is the case with me). As for your small explosion idea, that could be interesting. Could do part damage to a building (say 20-30%) as punishment for getting the beacon in place to begin with (But since black hand can set them easier, perhaps not).

Same here. My brother and I came to the forums tonight to complain about the beacons being immune. When I commented in game about it, they said it was because of lag. So of course the five beacons I tried to defuse tonight caused nothing but frustration. I had to read about it here to know it's not a bug or lag.

I'm all for realism but like the others have said, Renegade was never about realism. I prefer the old way of the missile disappearing because the bomb actually went off at zero whether or not you were trying to defuse it. So you would sometimes be cutting it really close and failure would mean instant, noisy death. It's not as exciting with the beacon being immune. Now it seems like there's no sense of urgency. You reach the ten second mark and walk away. No matter how realistic it is, it isn't as fun.

Maybe have the timer hit zero when the beacon becomes immune but reduce the ten second mark to five seconds or less. Although I would much rather being able to disable it mere milliseconds from being vaporized. Maybe the missile self-destructing in mid-air?

I always used to get a good laugh out of that in old Renegade. Even if you disarm it at the last millisecond, the sight of the rocket vanishing into thin air is hilarious (and a good way to mock the other team too, I'll admit).

Make the nuke go back up.

i like that idea ...

Honestly I dislike this. I preferred the old beacon's alot more. Iv had alot of issues with trying to just run accross the base to get to it let alone prevent it in time. Its made a few of the maps alot less fun as a defender/engi :( Oh well In the end Ill deal with it since iv noticed very few new players have clued into the beacons and how to help find/prevent them hittin 10 or less seconds. So it could be alot better once we have alot more people actually helping with them. But im still haveing issues where the " Deployed." Warning going off when the beacons timer is only at 20seconds left :/ so thats made it impossible for me most of the time.

It was a bug when the nuke was touching the ground in legacy Renegade, and instantly "disappeared" because of last second diffuse.

It is better that the beacon locks, then the weapon fires afterwards.

However, it should "time" the critical time and not the strike time. It should say "You have 30 seconds before final lock-on", and after "5-4-3-2-1"...

It should make a "loud ping" and say "Weapon locked, evacuate area" and the beacon disappears so people aren't trying to disarm it... That sudden silence with that loud ping would be sooo ominous and perfect to signify the "now were too late" moment. Then, the firing annimation occurs and the destruction happens.

SO THOSE ARE MY SUGGESTIONS:

1) Countdown to lock-on, not countdown to strike.

2) After countdown to zero, weapon locks and not strikes, Loud Ping, Announcement, Beacon disappears, Ominous silence

3) The strike afterwards begins to happens and happens.

i second this

Agreed, plus it's confusing as hell. I thought it was a glitch until I saw these posts popping up on the forum lol. At least make disarming the beacon make the superweapon's damage weaken. If you plant a beacon on the WF roof on walls in a decent spot it's a 99% chance of killing the WF. In fact I'm yet to see anyone disarm a WF roof beacon yet because of this 10 second thing. Which is great if you're the SBH, but sucks for GDI.

Why is that because of the different system lol

"Kil" had a great idea for this back in the private beta, and I am hoping that it is being worked on, because the way it would both look and play would be an awesome!e improvement over the current system, and even renegade's.