Introducing the Totem Arts Launcher

NodSaibot

• Totem Arts Staff

Rx_ForumBanner_New.thumb.png.f5242e4d33b2f0ee483fe02eceacfdd1.png

Launcher download link

Effective immediately, our new Totem Arts Launcher will replace the existing launcher for Renegade X. Our new launcher features multi-game support (Firestorm will be installed via the same launcher when it releases), a more flexible update system and more stability.

The new launcher installs separately from the game. After you install the launcher, you will have to select the Renegade X that the game is installed into for it to know where to look for the files. This can be done in the Renegade X tab with the Settings button. If your game is running in a privileged directory such as Program Files x86, the launcher will have to be run as admin to update unless the permissions for the game directory are manually updated. In the future this will be accounted for and the launcher will prompt for permission updates.

The visuals/UI side of the launcher will be upgraded and updated progressively, the current visuals are temporary. A known issue is that it may appear the download/verification stages are stuck since they don't show a more fine-tuned percentage. If there is network activity/CPU activity it is advised to let it continue. If it is stuck, you can simply restart the launcher and it will resume at it's last position.

If you have any other outstanding issues please reach out and let us know. You can make a thread here or get in contact via Discord.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• NodSaibot changed the title to Introducing the Totem Arts Launcher
On 12/9/2022 at 5:21 AM, NodSaibot said:

The visuals/UI side of the launcher will be upgraded and updated progressively, the current visuals are temporary.

Great! So I assume that image on the GitHub project is still reflective on the final thing planed. Although I do have to say that this rush is a bit strange, was there an exploit or is Firestorm Assault immanent?

Oh and I almost forgot, what's in-store for the UDK launcher?

Edited by LeonardMT
UDK launcher

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I just stumbled across this site, and am dying to try Renegade X, but am having trouble figuring out how to install it.

The link to the "Renegade X installer" starts the "Totem Arts Launcher" downloading, but after installing and running that, I can't figure out how to actually install any games. I see there's two "Install" buttons, but both of them ask me to select a directory, like they're looking for another file. I tried selecting an empty directory, but the install process doesn't get anywhere past 0%. Are there instructions anywhere on how to properly install the game at this time?

Edited by Andycorm
Clarity

• Totem Arts Staff
47 minutes ago, Andycorm said:

Hello! I just stumbled across this site, and am dying to try Renegade X, but am having trouble figuring out how to install it.

The link to the "Renegade X installer" starts the "Totem Arts Launcher" downloading, but after installing and running that, I can't figure out how to actually install any games. I see there's two "Install" buttons, but both of them ask me to select a directory, like they're looking for another file. I tried selecting an empty directory, but the install process doesn't get anywhere past 0%. Are there instructions anywhere on how to properly install the game at this time?

New versions of the launcher will better guide this part of installation along with useful error messages, but it is still being tested.

For now just make sure you are selecting an empty folder that does not require admin rights (like program files 86). It should install fine after that point

• Totem Arts Staff
5 minutes ago, mansy said:

Nothing works for me either! tried multiple directories in diffrent parts and it still wont do anything! what was wrong witht the old way of installing it might i ask!

The old launcher did not have a proper license attributed to the project. Some developers that contributed to it in the past no longer wanted their work in it and it was easier to recreate a new one than fix every piece of the last launcher.

On 1/2/2023 at 3:38 PM, NodSaibot said:

New versions of the launcher will better guide this part of installation along with useful error messages, but it is still being tested.

For now just make sure you are selecting an empty folder that does not require admin rights (like program files 86). It should install fine after that point

Thanks NodSaiBot! Unfortunately, that's what I did, and although it brings up a screen, as if it's going to start the download/install, nothing is processed and it's just stuck at 0%.

Effective immediately, our new Totem Arts Launcher will replace the existing launcher for Renegade X.

Really?    You couldn't say:   Presenting the new Launcher!   

or you couldn't say:     We are proud to announce!

Instead  we get  the Offensive and impersonal :   Effectively immediately?

You Will Comply~!!!

Edited by isupreme
cringe, humor
  • Haha 1

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, Andycorm said:

Thanks NodSaiBot! Unfortunately, that's what I did, and although it brings up a screen, as if it's going to start the download/install, nothing is processed and it's just stuck at 0%.

We've released a new version that may help you with your current issues. If you can't get it to work, I'd recommend hopping into our Discord server so we can help you in real time.

20 hours ago, NodSaibot said:

We've released a new version that may help you with your current issues. If you can't get it to work, I'd recommend hopping into our Discord server so we can help you in real time.

There we go! I reinstalled the Totem Arts Launcher, tried clicking "install" and it whined about the directory not being writable, but then I closed the app, right clicked the Totem Arts Launcher shortcut in windows and did "Run as administrator", and now after clicking "Install" it seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

Thanks!!

• Totem Arts Staff
21 hours ago, Andycorm said:

There we go! I reinstalled the Totem Arts Launcher, tried clicking "install" and it whined about the directory not being writable, but then I closed the app, right clicked the Totem Arts Launcher shortcut in windows and did "Run as administrator", and now after clicking "Install" it seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

Thanks!!

Happy that it's working! I'd recommend a setup that does not involve running as admin, as it is not necessary to run the launcher.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 1/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, Wrench said:

oh btw, windows does that every 3rd day virus scan and now it assumes that the launcher is a trojan lmao

We've heard of similar issues, it's because of the Electron framework we use for the app. Obviously we know that it has no viruses, but we have done scans on VirusTotal that have come up with nothing, as well as sending it to Microsoft to get it cleared.

• 3 weeks later...

I like how fast the launcher pops up now.  Very nice.    Also, it is nice that if you happen to leave the launcher on (but you minimized it and forgot it was on) - if you click the launcher icon then the launcher simply pops up.   No annoying notice that you were stupid and its already running.

• Like 2

hi there,

as there was no topic in the feedback section about the new TA Launcher I just wanted to say that I miss the old one, regardless of it's flaws.

with the new launcher - new installation on a new OS (Win11) - I was not able to choose a game folder of my own. It basically forced me to use the preset folder, which is downloading the game into the local temp folder. None of my created new folders got accepted, regardless if running as admin or not.

the download was slower than with the old launcher, but that may be due to servers available at the time.

is there any chance to use a legacy version of the previous launcher?

regards,

Darkness

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, Darkness said:

hi there,

as there was no topic in the feedback section about the new TA Launcher I just wanted to say that I miss the old one, regardless of it's flaws.

with the new launcher - new installation on a new OS (Win11) - I was not able to choose a game folder of my own. It basically forced me to use the preset folder, which is downloading the game into the local temp folder. None of my created new folders got accepted, regardless if running as admin or not.

the download was slower than with the old launcher, but that may be due to servers available at the time.

is there any chance to use a legacy version of the previous launcher?

regards,

Darkness

We are not supporting or distributing the old launcher anymore. Available servers isn't an issue, as it uses a CDN. The speed estimate isn't quite accurate but overall the downloads could be faster, it was just reduced to increase stability; that may be changed/optimized in the future.

For the issue of the folder selection I haven't heard of any thing like that recently, for easier support I'd recommend asking about on our Discord.

On 2/10/2023 at 5:22 PM, NodSaibot said:

We are not supporting or distributing the old launcher anymore. Available servers isn't an issue, as it uses a CDN. The speed estimate isn't quite accurate but overall the downloads could be faster, it was just reduced to increase stability; that may be changed/optimized in the future.

For the issue of the folder selection I haven't heard of any thing like that recently, for easier support I'd recommend asking about on our Discord.

Could it be due to the Win11 Pro OS?

Or a antivirus/defender setting?

the native "Ransomware Protection" (Controlled folder access) is disabled, as it's known to cause issues with many old games. so this is not an issue.

• Totem Arts Staff
6 hours ago, Darkness said:

Could it be due to the Win11 Pro OS?

Or a antivirus/defender setting?

the native "Ransomware Protection" (Controlled folder access) is disabled, as it's known to cause issues with many old games. so this is not an issue.

I don't have any clear answers as to why the folder(s) won't be installed to

• Totem Arts Staff

The preset folder shouldn't be a temp folder. It should install under AppData\Local but that's not a temp folder (AppData\Local\Temp is but that's one directory deeper). AppData\Local is a folder under which a lot of stuff gets installed that's big but only for a specific user.

• Totem Arts Staff

The issue with selecting a new folder might well be choosing a folder which already has data in it like "C:\Program Files". The launcher needs an empty folder, one can be made from the open folder dialog. With the default location the launcher will handle creating the folder itself so that works.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, Silv said:

The issue with selecting a new folder might well be choosing a folder which already has data in it like "C:\Program Files". The launcher needs an empty folder, one can be made from the open folder dialog. With the default location the launcher will handle creating the folder itself so that works.

I've created multiple new folders, on my desktop, on my SSD, on my "Documents" folder, nothing was accepted by the Totem Arts Launcher, I was running the Launcher as Administrator :-(

• Totem Arts Staff
7 hours ago, Darkness said:

I've created multiple new folders, on my desktop, on my SSD, on my "Documents" folder, nothing was accepted by the Totem Arts Launcher, I was running the Launcher as Administrator 😞

Forums comment on news post is not the best way to get support. Please join our Discord for live chat support or open a new thread to make sure all info can be collated properly.

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
On 2/22/2023 at 10:01 PM, Balgias said:

Where is the LAUNCH SERVER option at? You guys tryin' to kill your own game?

I don't think a lack of servers is the problem, but I wouldn't've recommended starting from the launcher at any rate.

https://wiki.totemarts.games/wiki/Server

• 2 months later...

I used to be a Renegade fan and I am going to try out Renegade X. Unfortunately its installing for 32 minutes now, and its at only 65%. I notice that for the vast majority of that time it was downloading below 1MB/s then at around 5-7MB/s, then back to 2MB/s again. Is there a way to make this better? Is the launcher built in a way that it is possible to bring up mirrors of whatever files are being downloaded so that future generations can have a better experience? (I am sitting on a 2G/1G fiber in eastern Europe and would be open to help)

• Totem Arts Staff
20 hours ago, Mike86 said:

I used to be a Renegade fan and I am going to try out Renegade X. Unfortunately its installing for 32 minutes now, and its at only 65%. I notice that for the vast majority of that time it was downloading below 1MB/s then at around 5-7MB/s, then back to 2MB/s again. Is there a way to make this better? Is the launcher built in a way that it is possible to bring up mirrors of whatever files are being downloaded so that future generations can have a better experience? (I am sitting on a 2G/1G fiber in eastern Europe and would be open to help)

The download speed indicator is an extreme approximation, however we are planning on releasing an update soon that revamps the downloading and should provide better speeds.