Surrender sucks

BeatBrain

I agree it needs to be adjusted. Maybe only allow surrender votes if at least half the buildings are dead? That should reduce the spam.

Another issue is right now it's too easy to make a succesful surrender vote. I think the required default 'Yes' number should be increased. A lot of people don't notice these votes and often a small minority "sneakily" surrenders while most of the team would have actually wanted to continue..

1 hour ago, BeatBrain said:

every player can vote for surrender, not just the commander !!!

Final decision should come from the cmdr imo

44 minutes ago, Gex_str said:

People still care about leaderboards that can be cheesed anyway?

Not important for me but for some yes...so..they will think twice b4 surrender

4 hours ago, salarite said:

I agree it needs to be adjusted. Maybe only allow surrender votes if at least half the buildings are dead? That should reduce the spam.

Another issue is right now it's too easy to make a succesful surrender vote. I think the required default 'Yes' number should be increased. A lot of people don't notice these votes and often a small minority "sneakily" surrenders while most of the team would have actually wanted to continue..

pretty sure it already got increased from before, imo a better thing would be to just make the games more balanced and fun instead so that people don't have to surrender as often instead of increasing vote count. ofcourse, balancing public is easier said than done....actually probably an impossible task. 

• Totem Arts Staff
4 hours ago, salarite said:

Not really sure what more can be done, I increased the percentage up 25% back in October 2020, and also made a big red text pop up in middle of screen when map changing votes (changemap, restartmap, surrender) votes are started.

Not really sure what more can be done, I increased the percentage up 25% back in October 2020, and also made a big red text pop up in middle of screen when map changing votes (changemap, restartmap, surrender) votes are started.

I always thought of a different notification sound for when changemap, restartmap, surrender votes are started. That way it's also harder to have change map votes from being succesful when one team F1s on the last seconds while the other team is distracted (rushing or something else).

• Like 1

• Former Developers

Surrendering has it's place, but it is certainly being overused. I'd recommend some kind of a minimum requirement to address the issue. The issue at it's core is that surrendering is triggered when there are still clear opportunities to come out with a win. 

So with min requirements I'd suggest something like 50% of the buildings vs the enemy team's still functional buildings. I would also suggest a delay to surrender vote after a building dies. Give it like 5 mins before anyone is allowed to surrender. This way its not just a case of someone insta-triggering the vote after a building is lost.

The game has plenty of opportunities to fight back. What kills the team is when moral dips. Usually when one person triggers a surrender vote that doesn't pass, it can have a noticeable impact on team moral when people think to them selves, "Oh well I saw X number of team members voting yes so I guess all of those players are basically not playing anymore."

The surrender vote should also have like an alarm sound go off in the final few seconds of the vote so that players that dont notice the vote UI will have some other indication of the vote about to end. It should encourage more team members to vote rather than seeing people surprised after vote is passed and some people asking "what just happened?" 

• Like 7

If the team has a commander yes/no could also in addition be in the calculation for the availability of the vote poll or min requirement. Because if the team has no commander, the change to win is very small. Also if the team has no commander it's sadly often because the enemy team is too stacked or the own team has too many newbs and noobs or is lacking teamplay and common sense.

Team score might also be in the calculation. Not sure about this one though.

Team score might also be in the calculation. Not sure about this one though.

Reasons I will vote  FOR surrender include at the top of the list:   Low team score.   Especially if the harvester is always dying, we are base locked, with no commander, and  the Veteran points are stacking up against us.   

Also a big factor for me is the amount of teamwork and cooperation I see.

The loss of a building is very low on my list.

I used to be very much against the surrender mechanic.   But I now see the value in it.

Edited by isupreme
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, isupreme said:

Reasons I will vote  FOR surrender include at the top of the list:   Low team score.   Especially if the harvester is always dying, we are base locked, with no commander, and  the Veteran points are stacking up against us.   

Also a big factor for me is the amount of teamwork and cooperation I see.

The loss of a building is very low on my list.

I used to be very much against the surrender mechanic.   But I now see the value in it.

Although I tend to agree with these in the heat of the moment. Surrender is nothing more than a scapegoat.

Many times there is always a way out. And if the team came together and focused on a solution instead of retreating... well it would help keep more matches interesting 😃

• Like 1