Why are vehicle cameras so close to the vehicle?

R315r4z0r

A few vehicles in this game have cameras that are positioned way too close. This makes using them very hard. What makes it hard is that the camera crops out the lower portion of the vehicle, either moving against the ground or the entire lower segment completely. This makes it hard to judge the direction you're facing/moving in.

The biggest offender is Nod's flame tank. As it stands right now, it is literally undrivable for me. The turret is larger than the body, and the body is 3/4 occluded by the camera crop. I can't tell which direction the body is facing after I spin the turret. Most of the time I think I'm pointing forward but when I move forward, the tank strafes left or right.

Other vehicles I have a difficult time controlling due to the camera would be both team's APCs as well as GDI's Humm-Vee. Though these are no where near as bad as the flame tank. (Another vehicle that has a similar issue is the stealth tank, but that is because I have a hard time seeing which way is "forward" when the vehicle is in stealth mode. This isn't a problem with the camera distance)

Pretty much all of the other vehicles, off the top of my head, seem to have good angled cameras.

• Like 3

There's been a bug around since an update two months ago or so. After entering a vehicle and seeing the camera being too close, have you tried switching between third-person view and first-person view (default key F) ? This fixes the issue for me.

I'd be glad if a dev can pick this up, it's quite annoying to reset the view a lot in games where you do a lot of tanking.

• Like 1

Yeah this is probably related to the wall/invisible issue it's only happened recently. If you are too close the entire tank becomes invisible.

Agreed on flame tank it's very. very hard to see what direction it is going.. NOD is the red-headed stepchild sometimes it feels like.

Yes. Quite an unpleasant thing in vehicles, since when shooting from a camera, especially in tanks, it is quite difficult to move. For me, it would be worth adding landmarks in the scope to minimize such troubles. One more thing, which not everyone can say, I want to note3 that this is the departure of the tank's sight not into the projectile hit zone. Quite unpleasant moments can leave, especially when every shot counts.