PUG temporary halt to help all the new players?

isupreme

Would the players in the usual weekend PUG consider playing regular  games for a bit?

We need good players to help show the new players both how to play and also the FUN of good teamwork.

It seems like a Critical time right now to attract and educate a whole new batch of players ... which will Benefit the PUGs in the end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@isupreme You do get a lot of people from PUGs playing on the Servers, usually who join the Discord's Voice Channels usually teamwork (if in the same team).

But, @DoctorB0NG @Xeon Wraith, would it be possible to do an Organised "Raid" on the public servers and attemptence of giving them a hand?

19 hours ago, isupreme said:

Would the players in the usual weekend PUG consider playing regular  games for a bit?

We need good players to help show the new players both how to play and also the FUN of good teamwork.

It seems like a Critical time right now to attract and educate a whole new batch of players ... which will Benefit the PUGs in the end.

We won't be halting the PUG.

That said, in the past we have tried to have "Open PUGs". This is pretty much the same as a regular PUG except the server is open for anyone to join in. Historically this hasn't gone too well due to low turnouts. We could look into trying it again.

Funnily enough though, the recent high player turnout in PUGs may well mean we might not have enough spaces for random players to join at all.

• Like 1

I suggested on the 'Servers' board that maybe we should setup a server with an obvious name like "Beginners Server" and then we could jump in from time to time and see if the new people have devised new tactics or strategies we've all over looked and never seen, and then from time to time maybe we could also give out some invaluable tips disguised as verbal abuse, or however it normally works.

• Haha 1

The problem with beginner servers is still going to be the same.

• Who classifies as a beginner
  • What is going to ensure that people who are not beginners don't join?
  • Who is going to monitor these servers
  • How are people going to learn without some measure of experience showing this behaviour
  • Is there much to be gained by sanitizing players from experienced gameplay?
  • Whats to stop players in beginners from learning poor mechanic behaviours such as mining random locations

You would need experienced people to manage this, and those experienced people are the ones who would likely classify as over-skilled for the server.

• Like 1

i mean i'm a brand new player.. is their at least like a meta guide for this game for what to expect when joining in?

Something alot of new players are very thoughtful of is joining a game fresh and not entirely screwing over their team due to our lack of knowledge/skill going into our first few matches as its pretty much like a sandbox/testing ground for us until we understand everything.

We have plans for an official help video coming up soon, but for the most part, if you are hopping into a multiplayer match, you are not likely to be causing too much issue. 

The only thing that we would recommend is asking about Proximity Mining tactics (which is normally 3 per door)

https://wiki.renegade-x.com/wiki/Proximity_C4

It's gonna take some time for people to learn the game and get better. I estimate about a month of consistent play from newbies and they will have better knowledge of the maps and understand what tactics are viable for winning games.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 3:09 AM, Frostblitz20 said:

i mean i'm a brand new player.. is their at least like a meta guide for this game for what to expect when joining in?

Something alot of new players are very thoughtful of is joining a game fresh and not entirely screwing over their team due to our lack of knowledge/skill going into our first few matches as its pretty much like a sandbox/testing ground for us until we understand everything.

One of the community members has recently put a character guide together if this helps, there may be some other threads on this forum with game play tips, if I can find any I'll update here.

This Guide may be a little out dated in a few areas as there are regular patches and updates that change the game.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ubwvHJbaDQVG5fQjIwYzE2S2s/view

There's also information on the official Wiki for Renegade-X.
https://wiki.renegade-x.com/wiki/Superweapon_Beacon

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I fail to see how stopping the PUG (those 2x2 hours a week) would help new players...
Last month or so I've seen a lot of new people joining which is good. Maybe 1 out of 20 till 30 asks something. 
Also when you PM people, start votes and as a commander send messages when a player overmines (for example) there is barely feedback
I have seen a minebanned player trying to mine the tunnel (and kneel in the same spots) for over 5 minutes without noticing he couldn't mine

What might help new players is (besides a tutorial and patience) maybe a way for mods to 'freeze' them till they read a message / PM. I guess this is allready sort of in place. Right now the new people who want to learn and ask around, are getting help in game, but we seam to have a problem reaching others because they aren't good at english or (what is my guess) not read at all likely because they are overwhelmed with info. 

• Haha 1

I'd rather be a good lil'moddy and use the Commander powers to in-game'style tutorial for players per round, essentially the ones on my team would be getting informed of stuff - by making it interactive creates a more enjoyable learning experience.

However, trying to teach somebody who doesn't ask is typically difficult information for them to absorb, everybody learns differently etc.

I guess Madkill that new people are overwhelmed and do not read chat (including votes and commander chat) at all unless they suddenly can't move or their entire screen turns a different colour so they have to focus on the text. Seen this happen a lot...