DevTalk Discussion Points

Fffreak9999

With the massively well received DevTalk video we released earlier, we know you have many questions you want to ask us regarding the development of Renegade X Firestorm.

As such, if you want to ask us a question about it or maybe get to see some footage of something, we will collate your answers below and do our best to oblige in future DevTalks. 

• Like 1

1: Will we be seeing any non-multiplayer units from tibsun and firestorm in this expansion?

(Orca Transports/Dropships, Toxin Troopers, Chameleon Spy, mutants, Spotlight Towers, etc.?)

2: I see a distinct lack of Cyborg Reaper from the footage I've seen. Will this lad be available? (And will it be classified as an infantry type or vehicle?)

3: Gates? Theyd be a neat addition to some maps, letting only allies pass until destroyed (but can be bypassed if lowered beforehand)

Edited by A Very Festive Scarecrow
  • Like 2

1. Will special operations mode be added. This is the type of mission, where one faction performs its task, and the other tries to prevent it?
2. According to alpha, as I understand it, redesign of production buildings will be carried out? In your video, I noticed that the defenses were visually and technically revised, but not the production buildings, which bothered me a bit.
3. Will the survival mode be finalized?
4. Although I did not have time to try the Black Hand vs Cabal mode, I am interested in the following: will it be the same with GDI and Forgotten?
6. In your video, I caught a glimpse of the Helipad made about a year ago by the Nexus. What can you say about her?
7. In Tiberium Sun Reborn, although not successfully, the mechanics of ion storms was implemented. Will it be in an update? If so, is it optional for cards or some will be similar?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

As an aside, I would recommend, maybe clairifying what Renegade X Firestorm IS NOT. To help temper expectations. Given the limitations of the engine and such.

Because from my understanding, RenX Firestorm will not be like the Alpha. And LOTS of people are being drawn in by that alpha footage 😃

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RyanTurner said:

we do have a buddy who would love to create new sound(track) content to upcoming expansion!

Here the music for Firestorm would be very useful. It sets the pace of the game — like a modern Doom — the absence of music for the Second Age will leave an unpleasant moment.

3 hours ago, roweboat said:

As an aside, I would recommend, maybe clairifying what Renegade X Firestorm IS NOT. To help temper expectations. Given the limitations of the engine and such.

Exactly! Many things in Alpha are impressive and the official gameplay for both fractions should be placed, if not over all, then partially over the main points in questions of mechanics, which will work in the Second Era.

• Totem Arts Staff

1.  Will it be available on steam or origin?

2.  Is firestorm UE4 or UE5?

3. Is it a separate game that I will have to download? 

4.  Does EA know about this?  Any risk of a shutdown?

5.  No one heals me in Ren, what do you have to make people heal for firestorm?

5.  Will there be jump jets?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

• Totem Arts Staff
15 hours ago, DenWellingston said:

1. Will special operations mode be added. This is the type of mission, where one faction performs its task, and the other tries to prevent it?
2. According to alpha, as I understand it, redesign of production buildings will be carried out? In your video, I noticed that the defenses were visually and technically revised, but not the production buildings, which bothered me a bit.
3. Will the survival mode be finalized?
4. Although I did not have time to try the Black Hand vs Cabal mode, I am interested in the following: will it be the same with GDI and Forgotten?
6. In your video, I caught a glimpse of the Helipad made about a year ago by the Nexus. What can you say about her?
7. In Tiberium Sun Reborn, although not successfully, the mechanics of ion storms was implemented. Will it be in an update? If so, is it optional for cards or some will be similar?

1. No plan on that yet.

2. Yeah, Havoc planned on doing away with Reborn buildings when he got the chance. So it just depends on his work

3. I mean.... Survival mode is pretty 'finalized' already. What more do you want out of it?

4. GDI vs GDI is being worked by someone else atm, but we might implement that if we feel like it's worth doing. Maybe Cynthia can weigh on it better

6. Helipad will be a separate vehicle factory for air vehicles. That was the plan, but I haven't got the time to fully implement it yet

7. Also no clear plan on it, but we did talk about it earlier.

About base building limitation, how much will it be limited ?

There will be no base building regarding the main structures. The reason it was cut was because UDK is just damn too weak to handle it, and the size of the map required for it. Base defenses though, we might look into it

Will we see the tiberium creatures from the original TS ?

Uhm...... not sure, also no plan for it. Kinda unlikely though

• Totem Arts Staff
16 hours ago, A Very Festive Scarecrow said:

1: Will we be seeing any non-multiplayer units from tibsun and firestorm in this expansion?

(Orca Transports/Dropships, Toxin Troopers, Chameleon Spy, mutants, Spotlight Towers, etc.?)

2: I see a distinct lack of Cyborg Reaper from the footage I've seen. Will this lad be available? (And will it be classified as an infantry type or vehicle?)

3: Gates? Theyd be a neat addition to some maps, letting only allies pass until destroyed (but can be bypassed if lowered beforehand)

1. Afaik, no

2. Well, not sure about this one. haven't talked about it yet.

3. I'm not sure we have maps with gates planned. They tend to mess Harvester up, but it's easy to implement even in Renegade X.

• Phase 5 Beta Testers
44 minutes ago, Handepsilon said:

1. No plan on that yet.

2. Yeah, Havoc planned on doing away with Reborn buildings when he got the chance. So it just depends on his work

3. I mean.... Survival mode is pretty 'finalized' already. What more do you want out of it?

4. GDI vs GDI is being worked by someone else atm, but we might implement that if we feel like it's worth doing. Maybe Cynthia can weigh on it better

6. Helipad will be a separate vehicle factory for air vehicles. That was the plan, but I haven't got the time to fully implement it yet

7. Also no clear plan on it, but we did talk about it earlier.

There will be no base building regarding the main structures. The reason it was cut was because UDK is just damn too weak to handle it, and the size of the map required for it. Base defenses though, we might look into it

Uhm...... not sure, also no plan for it. Kinda unlikely though

Really appreciate your work on the game..just a suggestion:

When a building is destroyed, you can replace it (or replaced automaticly) but after a certain amount of time (using the base building feature shown in the alpha) I guess this will prevent the load on the engine and at the same time will add some elements of base building for main structures.

Hello.

1. Will classes from original renegade present in game, like adaptation of flame and chemical infantry? They were present in TD and absent in TD. And what about classes which not only werent in TS, but also didnt existed in TD and only appeared in renegade spinoff, like SBH and LCG?

2.What about mammoth x-66? It was phased out at the time of the second war, but appeared in the game in some mission? GDI will have lack of lategame mass unit, since i dont know will disruptors successful y replace it in its role, and mammoth mk.2 can be built only one at the time. Will it appear only from crates?

3.Will such unit as mutant hijacker present in game and will mammoth mk.2 be hijackable?

4.Will mammoth mk.2  manned only by one person, or he main railguns, two AA turrets and one machinegun turret will be controlled by several players?

5.Will Nod be able to travel underground directly to GDI base?

3. I'm not sure we have maps with gates planned. They tend to mess Harvester up, but it's easy to implement even in Renegade X.

There's already a working and functional example of a gate on the map Storm, the Harvester uses it to reach the tiberium field and return to base again, this map is under played and under rated in my opinion. It looks a little different than the grilled version in Tiberian Sun though. If it was implemented right it would serve as a stealthy sneak route into the base a bit like harvester walking. It's none destructible though in its present form.

• Thanks 1

1. I see there's already sort of cyborg mutant commando unit on Nod, will GDI get access to The Forgotten's Ghost Stalker or Umagon as a playable character?

2. Will Nod have their laser fence system as it's featured on Nexus' recent map Steppe and Desolation. This seems really important in re-creating the C&C ambience and atmosphere of Tiberian Sun/Firestorm.

3. Given there are two sub-subterranean units, will GDI get access to a mobile sensor array? I'm sure I saw a model for this somewhere. It would serve as a sort of secondary goal for Nod to destroy one, a bit like GDI needing to take out Nods more advanced Sam sites.

4. It would be quite cool if the original mammoth tank remained playable as a special crate - whoever also mentioned this.

5. Any plans for an EMP cannon? What about a Stealth Generator?

Edited by Mystic~
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mystic~ said:

3. Given there are two sub-subterranean units, will GDI get access to a mobile sensor array? I'm sure I saw a model for this somewhere. It would serve as a sort of secondary goal for Nod to destroy one, a bit like GDI needing to take out Nods more advanced Sam sites.

This might help to get the idea :)

20200217201135_1.jpg

• Like 1

First of it, your work is impressive! I love the design changes for the titan and wolverine. It feels much more believable. Now I got some questions 🙂

1. Will the Nod wall design be integrated? In the footage it was the gdi one with red color.

2. Is the laser fence and firestorm wall going to be integrated?

3. Will the smoke screen launcher on the gdi designs be usable?

4. Right now the obelisk of light was firing in the skies, will it be changed?

5. Countermeasures for aircraft? (maybe nod get point Def laser to fit their style)

Its a little bit much to suggest right now, but an objective mode like rush in battlefield would be nice, with vehicle reinforcements, and prebuild bases, outposts and defense lines for the defensive team and vehicle reinforcements for the attacker. To get the feeling of commando missions 😂

But overall great work!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I have just recently joined this community after seeing your dev video about Firestorm and it got me pretty excited about it!

I'm interested in one particular thing regarding NOD cyborgs. As far as I could tell they will be a playable character class but what has been bugging me about them is that they use hand-held weapons, like the sniper rifle in the video.

Is there a possibility that you might change the character later, so that it more resembles the original ones in Tiberian Sun in terms of weaponry?

I'm talking about a built in chain gun in one arm, a secondary weapon in the other, like a grenade launcher for example that you could switch over to. They would have a limited arsenal vulnerable to EMPs, but could be a bit tougher in armor and health.

Also, will this character class heal on tiberium fields like in the original?

It would be really awesome to see a couple of these badboys wreak havoc on the battlefield!

Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to play the cr*p out of this game!

On 7/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, Nyxblow said:
  1. Will it be playable on some of the current maps, or will it always require new, larger maps ?
  2. Will it be two different games, say, that you can launch from the RenX launcher ? If not, will there just be Firestorm servers and classic servers?

I don't think it will play on existing maps as they've created new buildings and the firestorm combat won't match what the maps for the classic mode were designed for. So far, I've seen new maps that have been created with a Tiberian Sun look and feel. Both game modes will be accessible from the same installation and application. As far as I'm aware the servers will run both modes and there is the choice to vote for maps with the desired game mode.

That's a good point, I have a feeling the repair pad might be made available to both sides on maps that have this as this is what already happens in the current version. I'm also curious if GDI would get the carry-all tank transport and what difference to the game something like that might make.