Radio commands are a mess

crazfulla

Some bugs I could find:

1. TAB scoreboard doesn't update destroyed buildings, although map overview HUD does.
  2. Pause (ESC) cursor has like 5-10 FPS, compared to the main menu which is butterly smooth.
  3. Clicking from local to online in the multiplayer tab makes all the servers dissappear. Switching tabs or refreshing doesn't fix it.
  4. Silo capture/repair bar is gone.
Edited by GodRider

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, crazfulla said:

As above. Some are completely missing, those that aren't are all shuffled around. Seems the map voting isn't the only thing messed up by the latest patch. Unless this is a server specific thing? Was playing on FPI just now.

Not a bug. Radio commands were removed. My fault for missing it in the patch notes.

• Downvote 1

most of the radio commands I dont really think about it and just use them, because I use them since the originals Renegade, I would be very happy if the old layout comes back

//edit: changed a bit my opinion: some of the commands are not really used and can be removed, but some of the are just used by habit. maybe it is the next step...

Edited by Snow

• Totem Arts Staff

Because that scale would be too enormous for me to come up quickly for the settings menu. When I tried giving HUD option in main menu, I ended up crashing the game several times because  of slight mistype, and that was just an on/off button

Also the fact that the Main Menu flash file was so sketchy I keep causing the app to freeze continuously whenever I tried to import in the rest of the essentials... 

• Sad 1

• Totem Arts Staff
On 2/22/2020 at 7:14 PM, crazfulla said:

Why not just give people the ability to remap the radio command keys if they so desire? Would make more sense than confusing / alienating half of the player base of already dead game... just saying.

If changing some radio command hotkeys are enough to "alienate" half of the game, I would be very surprised. I think you are blowing this out of proportion. People don't like change sometimes. That's human nature. It will be awkward initially, that always comes with change. But as humans do, we will adapt and nothing will change in the end.

It is a waste of muscle memory though. It took me quite a while to learn all the radio commands and I tried using them regularly. I've been pressing CTRL+7 for "Affirmative" for 3 years of classic Ren + 5 years of Ren X. Now I don't know anything anymore... except for "I need repairs" which kept its place.

And why were some of the commands removed altogether? If the opinion is that they are not useful / obsolete, we could move them to high numbers. I enjoyed using goofy ones like "Watch where you're pointing that". That one was fun and always had that old Ren feeling. 

What is the benefit of these changes anyway? Easier access to "affirmative" and "negative"? I guess... but it's not worth it IMO. At the least, players should be able to keep the old radio commands setup if they will.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, at the time of patch I believe support was > 60%.

Like I said, it was originally planned to add an option to be able to use the classic layout -- part of the refactoring I did was to allow support for any theoretical bindings for radio commands, and to also allow for radio command localization. A function already exists to switch radio commands to the original bindings, it just wasn't ever bound to any UI piece or any exec function (console command).

Programatically, it's very to rearrange radio commands now, so I'm sure we can change it or even move it to a config in the future. Just as an example, here's the code sitting in Rx_HUD that actually changes it back to the old layout:

function SetRadioCommandsClassic() {
	local int index;

// Populate Ctrl
	for (index = 0; index < 10; ++index) {
		RadioCommandsCtrl[index] = index;
	}

// Populate Alt
		RadioCommandsAlt[index] = index + 10;
	}

// Populate Ctrl + Alt
		RadioCommandsCtrlAlt[index] = index + 20;
	}
}

An option or command or config setting will be added.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

"muscle memory is confused"
ah? eh.. because it only took me 10 minutes to learn where is Affirmative, Negative, i'm in position and I need repairs (i rarely use other radio commands)
i guess, if you learned where was the old command hotkeys, you can learn where are news - excepts if you're too old for that :P 

Affirmative on Ctrl+2 is way better than Ctrl+7, now i can say affirmative while moving instead of being standing under sniper fire for 1 second - the necessary time for a sniper to send his ramjet bullet to your head -

keep I need repairs for Alt+1 is good, because this command is one of the most used

at my opinion, these new radio commands are better :) but i've still a question...

Ayaya radio command when?

• Like 1