That Raveshaw/Sydney complaint...

Okay!

Snipers gained an considerably fair nerf a while ago with the spread-fire increase when not using the scope, however players began pointing out that Sydney's and Raveshaw's simply took the sniper spot of insta-Ez-headshots and though there was a thread on what changes should be made to the aforementioned characters this was just poor thought, seeing as how an increased weapon spread is just silly for the PIC/Railgun weapon, why not make aiming more difficult for the player to use the weapon outside of its intended purpose without lowering the stats of such a powerful weapon?

This is not a suggestion to change the stats of either the Sydney or Raveshaw; Personal Ion Cannon or Railgun.

Suggestion: What if we just removed the crosshair for Sydney's/Raveshaw's altogether so the only way to aim is to fire 'blind' or to fire with ironsights? 

Firing blindly would be pretty easy against vehicles so long as that vehicle is centered in a player's screen, but to get that precise headshot would require ironsights which I reckon would be a pretty fair trade-off, this means the player as the Rav/Syd is at least limited visually whilst also forcing a Raveshaw/Sydney to remain slow in movement. However, a player can still kill infantry instantly or almost instantly by using ironsights, or if enemy infantry get too close they can still be killed fairly easily.

Alternatively, (should no crosshair for Rav/Syd make this anti-tank infantry terrible against infantry at close-range) compromise at least with a larger, circular crosshair with no centered dot?

One of these should help nerf the player visually when aiming at infantry with the PIC/Railgun.

8 minutes ago, Sarah! said:

It's pretty easy to overlay a reticle, so I don't know how much this would help.

With some weird do-hickey outside of the game?

By slapping some tape or drawing on your screen?

Any modifications to the game files will prevent a player from being able to play on a server unless all the files match

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, Madkill40 said:

With some weird do-hickey outside of the game?

By slapping some tape or drawing on your screen?

Any modifications to the game files will prevent a player from being able to play on a server unless all the files match

Either or.

If just the Rav/Syd's crosshair was removed this would thankfully be an annoying inconvenience to a player using an overlay as crosshairs cannot actually be turned off in-game (unless there is a console command I don't know about), on-top of counting as cheating and this would be very easy to detect via a demo if a player is using a crosshair overlay.

But just because of a minority that does not mean this would be an ineffective trade-off for the majority

• Totem Arts Staff
3 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

If just the Rav/Syd's crosshair was removed this would thankfully be an annoying inconvenience to a player using an overlay as crosshairs cannot actually be turned off in-game (unless there is a console command I don't know about), on-top of counting as cheating and this would be very easy to detect via a demo if a player is using a crosshair overlay.

But just because of a minority that does not mean this would be an ineffective trade-off for the majority

It does not qualify as a hack/cheat, actually. And since you're basically discussing this change because of the few who are actually good at using syd/rav as anti-inf, and I personally know that a decent percentage of them use overlays, it would have little to no effect, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sarah! said:

It does not qualify as a hack/cheat, actually.

If the crosshair was removed deliberately for those two characters only, a player implementing their own crosshair overlay would be voiding this so technically it could then be classified as cheating.

I didn't even think it was possible to remove the crosshairs used in RenX as I've not seen this as an option in the settings menu

Edited by Madkill40

• Totem Arts Staff
Just now, Madkill40 said:

If the crosshair was removed deliberately for those two characters only, a player implementing their own crosshair overlay would be voiding this so technically it could then be classified as cheating.

I didn't even think it was possible to remove the crosshairs used in RenX as I've not seen this as an option in the settings menu

You could also argue that a bigger circle in the middle of the crosshair was deliberately not put there, to make aiming more difficult. Also, I personally do not take action without concrete proof, so there would really be no way to tell if they were or weren't using an overlay. I really wouldn't care either way either.

15 minutes ago, Sarah! said:

Also, I personally do not take action without concrete proof, so there would really be no way to tell if they were or weren't using an overlay. I really wouldn't care either way either.

...other than to view the demo and see if the player used the ironsights of the gun to get that headshot with a railgun/PIC

@Madkill40

some players are already using these tools - just watch carefully...

#################

The PIC / Railgun got a HS nerf. Which... doesn't help much against seasoned players since they just switch to heavy pistol instead of wasting another main gun bullet. but it can give you enough time to counter the Syd / Rave.

Along with the dmg nerf (so free inf, except for the engis can't get insta killed by body hits anymore*) both nerfs were good decisions.

The best suggestion to further nerf PIC / Railgun is the "charge-up" brought up by either @Gliven or @djlaptop  [not 100% sure, but atm I'm too lazy to search for the topic / comment].

*given the Syd/Rav is still Recruit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see the issue a bit different, Sydney/Raveshaw should suffer in mobility becoming heavy infantry, so cant happily hop around and dart across the field while having an anti-everything weapon, their movement becoming similar to LaserChainGunner's. For mobility there is already Havoc/Sakura as Antipersonnel loadout.

• Like 1

Single-shot weapons are always powerful in a game with high TTK. Basically, the weapons in this game that has a low firing-rate is very powerful in firefights if the user is good in his accuracy. The only exception is the shotgun that is sadly barely useful. Making the Railgun/PIC's crosshair wider for more difficult aiming is a good start but people with good accuracy will still kill easily. Maybe have them to have lower mobility and/or other guns have more damage on Raveshaws and Sydneys. I already like how the flak jacket taking extra damage from bullets.

• Like 1

Custom crosshairs are unenforceable and undetectable. Some people also just enjoy simple/custom crosshairs for convenience or asthetics.

We're not going to suddenly start considering custom crosshairs a cheat, nor should we.

Modifying character stats seems fine though.