problems of the map Outposts

Eagle XI

- the map is nicely large and provides adequate space for vehicle maneuvers., that comes bundled with amplifying power of stealth tanks greatly. i can suggest plopping an capturable radar dish into middle of field that will decloak stealth tanks in a wide radius should GDI have control of it.

Alternately we can implement mobile detector/sensor array vehicle for gdi and enable it only on this map.

- the map is large yet most of us are aged dudes(?) whom complain about having to virtually trek an mile before reaching the base instead jumping into the fight happening right around the next corner, as our time of existence is rather limited after performing the trek required for reaching the warzone resulting in much rage and derp. this effect could be lessened if we specifically enable transport helicopters but not attack helicopters on this map. Unfortunately which would then inevitably imbalance the map further as due to size of map one team performing an drop into enemy base while all of them are away would mean instant gg.

Should transport helicopters get added i can suggest adding an indestructible AA tower on top of rockridge of bases facing the battlefield, or youll have to cover each base in triple SAM maybe.

- it needs more tanktraps to perform tank flips on.

• Totem Arts Staff

I think the map just has a unique taste. I do think that if the tank accessible areas were restricted a bit, it would be a lot less stank favored. In terms of map size... you have to trade off time-to-action with recommended player count. Seeing as basically all servers use 64 max players (even though have 60+ players doesn't happen the majority of the time)...  It's not an easy thing to balance.

Adding chinooks changes a lot about the map, so it's not really an option, in my opinion.

If GDI can hold both sides of Nod's base, the stanks really have nowhere to go. You can even just spawn kill their vehs pretty easily at that. The map kind of forces good teamplay, which is good, but a problem in of itself. If neither team wants to cooperate, you just have to wait forever until you can finally get a rush going. Or, the teams recognize it and are motivated to play together. Although, to be fair, I think I've only played this map from beginning to end about twice.

3 hours ago, roweboat said:

I wonder if simply increasing the choke points into GDI's base might make the difference the map needs? 

@Xeon Wraith suggested choke points (on the field though) before. the problem with this is... it changes the map completely. the whole freedom tanking.

if you add super tight chokepoints to GDI base.... It'll become unbalanced into the other direction (maybe). especially on public servers Outposts can be a GDI map when Nod is too busy trying to stank rush and fails to control the field with LT / arty / stank.

an unspotted (or IGNORED) mammoth train (like 2-3x) to HoN or a maxed out MED push can easily make Nod rage 😉

Edited by DarkSn4ke
  • Like 1

@DarkSn4ke I can't remember what I said about choke points, though I do recall wanting better cover from snipers. That aside I'm generally sorta-ish barely okay with the current state of the field.

I'm not okay with the constant threat of stanks being able to rush a building though. The distance GDI base entrances pretty much makes it impossible for a single defender to scan - let alone repel a organised stank rush. The large field makes it pretty trivial to hide even with GDI field control. The GT is heavily exposed and can easily be taken out by a few lights/stanks/arties. Considering stanks are able to hit GDI's buildings before the AGT can hit them makes base defense a non-factor as a deterrent. 

Since quite a few people enjoy the large field of Outposts, its probably a bad idea to change that. Increasing AGT coverage or reducing the distance/angles between GDI base entrances would be a decent alternative to help against stanks. Tightening up GDI entrance choke points (particularly on Barrack's side) would also work by make AT mining a lot more viable.

Unspotted/ignored tank pushes of any form is a problem with a team and is not unique to Outposts. 

I don't see any merit in adding flying units. Get a humvee/buggy.

14 hours ago, Xeon Wraith said:

I can't remember what I said about choke points, though I do recall wanting better cover from snipers. That aside I'm generally sorta-ish barely okay with the current state of the field.

think it was on Discord (after a PUG) when you suggested these chokepoints. could also been somewhere on Forums.. but I'm pretty sure that you were the first player to bring up the field chokepoint idea 😉

14 hours ago, Xeon Wraith said:

Since quite a few people enjoy the large field of Outposts, its probably a bad idea to change that. Increasing AGT coverage or reducing the distance/angles between GDI base entrances would be a decent alternative to help against stanks. Tightening up GDI entrance choke points (particularly on Barrack's side) would also work by make AT mining a lot more viable.

Unspotted/ignored tank pushes of any form is a problem with a team and is not unique to Outposts. 

both base entrances can be easily defended by GDI. repositioning Obelisk/AGT makes sense, but requires a lot of extra work from @TK0104 so I guess it's unlikely at the moment.

#######

yh, it's a team and not a map flaw :D just wanted to point out that it's not *the* Nod map people like to claim. it's just like Volcano or Canyon where GDI players (on public) servers have a tendency to go "afk" since they think "crap, it's a Nod map and I can't swap teams"

but that's just foretelling... you never know what'll happen. you never know when the lonely sneaker hottie destroys the HoN :)

• Totem Arts Staff

AGT has a clearer view and more range in the next version, while Obby has less range, Turrets replaced with GTs.

If that doesn't work, I might have to change the main design