towards fun servers with low populations...

isupreme

One idea, and a question.

I seem to remember some conversations going around suggesting there might be some things in the works to help servers be fun when there are only a few players.   Has anyone heard talk in that direction?

My idea.  ( probly not original )      Just like how some maps are bigger and built to handle larger player counts... ..    Could the servers be set up so that as player count drops, the selection of maps available for play, becomes tailored to the number of players?     i.e.  smaller # players, smaller maps .  

I imagine two things needed for this.    1. Maps designed for low population  2.  a mechanic to let servers automate the choices.

New?   Been discussed?   Bad?

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
3 hours ago, isupreme said:

One idea, and a question.

I seem to remember some conversations going around suggesting there might be some things in the works to help servers be fun when there are only a few players.   Has anyone heard talk in that direction?

My idea.  ( probly not original )      Just like how some maps are bigger and built to handle larger player counts... ..    Could the servers be set up so that as player count drops, the selection of maps available for play, becomes tailored to the number of players?     i.e.  smaller # players, smaller maps .  

I imagine two things needed for this.    1. Maps designed for low population  2.  a mechanic to let servers automate the choices.

New?   Been discussed?   Bad?

ala Battlefield maps? they increase /decrease the map boundaries depending on player count.

Yes that's been discussed. I think it was just a matter of logistically it maybe wasn't that easy to implement?

• Totem Arts Staff
57 minutes ago, roweboat said:

ala Battlefield maps? they increase /decrease the map boundaries depending on player count.

Yes that's been discussed. I think it was just a matter of logistically it maybe wasn't that easy to implement?

I was thinking play small maps, Field, Canyon, Snow, etc Maybe increase credit flow as well

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
11 minutes ago, roweboat said:

I guess the question is, what's easier. Building a new map built around a very small play count? Or to impliment a smaller play space on existing maps

Either way it requires downloading whole maps again. Adding blockers isn't hard, but having them change based on playercount may cause performance issues, not sure.

• Totem Arts Staff
10 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

Not many people can kismet this as a function. I've no idea if this could even be done with kismet really.

No need for kismet, just use special volumes that only allow people to pass based on playercounts