Timed matches. Love it, hate it.. doomed or hopeful?

isupreme

I have been out of the game for awhile, so please pardon this request to rehash the subject of timed matches.

Please feel free to share  your thoughts be they positive or negative about the subject.

I myself always loved the game play, but i also recognize that it is not currently viable.     I would like to understand the situation better, and ideas  may drop in this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q.1.   Why do players not like this game mode?   I Love it!   I hear some talk about the game being interrupted.   I don't understand this.

Q.2. Didn't we used to have 3o min games?      I prefer them shorter than 60min.   did players push it to be longer?     

Q.3  Would there be any support for a designated time in the week where we try to play  timed?

I believe the games have been recently designed to average out at 45 minutes, Anything shorter than that is kinda over too quickly, and anything over 75 mins feels like a long match.

This doesn’t prevent the match from ending earlier, it just adds an end time, using points as an alternate victory condition.

As for who runs that server, can’t say I really noticed it.

If you want people to play AOW/Timed then just join the server when it’s quiet, and people normally filter into an active server.

I remember timed matches being alot more common in vanilla renegade, but even then i also want to remember the servers that ran marathon mode being filled to the brim with players almost always.

The only situtation where i actually considered timed mode to be better than marathon was on maps such as island, where GDI could deliberately let NOD destroy their refinery and war factory so that NOD couldn't point whore it, thus giving gdi a better defense and a chance to win by points.
In all other situations i very much prefer a game lasting well over an hour, i think the veterancy system should be less generous tbh, since it easily leads to one team snowballing the other a bit too fast and too often for my taste, heroic should not come before 1 hour of gameplay.

Nothing more satisfying than carrying your team for 2 hours and receiving every medal at the end of the game.
I cant help but get alot more invested if i know a match won't end until someone ends it, UNTIL I END IT.

I know alot of players that get discouraged and demoralized as hell as soon their team lose a single worthless building, like ref.
Im not like that at all, i will gladly continue fighting for hours with nothing but a minigunner and beer, and sometimes even win despite the odds.

Marathon FTW!!!

• Totem Arts Staff

Marathon is one of the main reasons I quit OldRen, as I always found it dull, boring, and honestly so uneventful because nothing felt like it had impact EXCEPT the end of the game. 

RenX ... I actually prefer marathon with veterancy, as there's always something to work toward, and the game comes to a natural conclusion that doesn't always have to take 3 hours, but still isn't nearly as futile feeling as it was pre-veterancy when it DOES take 3 hours. 

AOW just always had the issue of 'And then the game was over' .... but I do miss some of those last 2 minute rushes to point whore the hell out of a building to try and win by points. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...