Lock buildings when server is low populated ?

ex_member

Short Answer: You should lock them until at least a population of 10.

Long Answer: You should make the game load a map based on population already. Valley, Dust, Snow, and a quickly thrown together infantry-only version of Complex, load for player counts under 12. Other full-base maps can load above 12 and whatever their comfortable size is (some maps 12-36, some maps 34-60).

2 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

@YagiHige

"You should make" = anyone who's interested enough to do that should write a mutator for that :P

I don't words well, but yeah, this.

It's probably only a matter of time anyway.

Just, the point was: "Locking structure health until server reaches population of 8", is merely a "lazier way" of accomplishing "some paltry comparison of the same result".

Why develop a lazy weaker version of a result, when you can get some real improvements with the real McCoy of a solution.

The term "locked buildings" usually refers to the buildings' health bar being locked, meaning that they cannot take any damage at all, nor be destroyed by beacons.

Also, the lock prevents players from farming vp in advance by shooting at the building, because they cannot deal any damage to it.

Edited by Jarzey
  • Like 1

Locking buildings doesn't help, it even exacerbates the problem of low player count: if you cannot damage buildings, playing becomes meaningless (no goal) for the players, and they might have to wait forever until the critical limit is reached to "unlock" the buildings...

Can't you just vote for a map change, or add bots? :P

• Like 1

Even locked building health for the first x minutes of a small populated game may make the low pop situation worse.

The only pro I can imagine is this gives both teams a 'peace keeping' time to mine the base preventing early game infiltration when the pop count of a server is too low to manage the defence of an unmined base.

But is it worth it? Seems better off as a server-specific mutator to be honest.

Edited by Madkill40
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheOlsenTwins said:

where it starts when x amount of players are interested in joining another server

This is the kind of feature you would want in the game, not the launcher. Keep in mind that the launcher's primary purpose is to update the game, and for bonus points it has a server browser.

On 22.6.2017 at 1:00 AM, Agent said:

This is the kind of feature you would want in the game, not the launcher. Keep in mind that the launcher's primary purpose is to update the game, and for bonus points it has a server browser.

Yeah well, but if i have to wait for half an hour for it to fill up i rather do it while being able to do other stuff, and not having to stay in game to avoid being afk kicked and/or missing the start of the real game.

For me this is also a way to try to signify to other players that i want to fill up another server. (if only one server with 59/60 is available most will join this one instead of the other server with 3 people - so IMHO this would probably also improve the general playercount)

I mostly play during hours that are "off hours" for the majority of players (who seem to tend to be Europe based), and sometimes go 2+ hours with < 10 people. A feature like this would kill the game for me. It also would make 1v1 or 2v2 games (some of which can be quite fun) impossible.

If ANYTHING, it should be A) time based instead of playercount based (ie lock buildings for 10 minutes), and B) a votable option. Players can vote to turn it off per match.

Edited by djlaptop
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

I fully understand djlaptop and I agree that there is a certain challenge and fun in playing with low population, but these are "other kind of matches", perhaps a server for that, dk ?

how could a special low pop server help?

Only Snow  & Gobi allowed?  xD

3 minutes ago, dr.schrott said:

Something else crossed my mind, what if you have some inf and vehicles as well as items like nuke not avaialable to purchase until a certain number of players join the game ?

I asked @[CT]Ukill to make a mutator for that case a while back. He couldnt figure out how to do it / or just cancled the idea, I'm not sure.

It would probably be easier to have a mutator which enables building health to be locked for the first 4 minutes of a game, text with a countdown timer necessary for all players to see.

To include the mutator being able to disable itself and unlock building health if there are more than 28 active players on the server, might be more difficult and complex to do.

Limiting purchases doesn't really seem to do much for a smaller game and seems very unfair to limit what players can use because there aren't enough players in the game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Madkill40 said:

It would probably be easier to have a mutator which enables building health to be locked for the first 4 minutes of a game, text with a countdown timer necessary for all players to see.

To include the mutator being able to disable itself and unlock building health if there are more than 28 active players on the server, might be more difficult and complex to do.

Limiting purchases doesn't really seem to do much for a smaller game and seems very unfair to limit what players can use because there aren't enough players in the game.

Uhhh... Check on Mapstart how many active players the server has, if it is below a certain amount lock the building health for 4 minutes? It really isn't that difficult. I don't really care for the idea that much though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.7.2017 at 5:14 AM, R315r4z0r said:

Locking buildings is counter intuitive. If there is a low pop game and I can't play the objective, know what I do? I leave the game.

I have better things I can do with my time than wait for other people to join a match.

That is the reason for the proposition to integrate it into the launcer...