Whole map instead of minimap

testman

Would it be possible to replace minimap with an overview of the whole map?

It does not have to be as detailed as map which appear when you press M. No need for tank rotations and terrain detail.

Something that shows about as much of a map as minimaps in RTS C&C games did.

Displaying units should work the same as in big map. See only your team and spotted units, see all except enemy stealth units if your team has command center.

I would really like to see that, because most of the time I don't care about bleeping dots around me, while I do care a lot about overall state of the map and how our team is doing.

Edited by Norc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norc said:

most of the time I don't care about bleeping dots around me

You should care, it is vital to be aware of your surroundings.

The whole map in the minimap compass as an alternative although nice seems impractical, whereas in the RTS C&C the whole map in a small square made more sense in the RTS because it was more practical as you needed to monitor everything and to be able to click anywhere on it and jump straight there made it more practical. (In all, useful) 

Just like pressing 'M' lets you see the whole map when you need to, compressing that down into the compass? 

In Dungeon Keeper you could have a zoomed in view and a full view in it's little square compass as well as an overview on a separate panel. For RenX would it even be possible to for example press '.' and change the RenX minimap as it is now to a global view? Pressing '.' restoring the RenX minimap back to local view?

• Like 1

On 08/02/2017 at 3:21 AM, Madkill40 said:

You should care, it is vital to be aware of your surroundings

I am aware of my surroundings by... wait for it....   looking around.
I'm not saying that I am neglecting the bleeps-around-me minimap.
However I do find myself wishing that space used by minimap would be used by something that would give me more information than just "dude, there is some sand around you, maybe even some rocks if you are lucky."

On 08/02/2017 at 3:21 AM, Madkill40 said:

For RenX would it even be possible to for example press '.' and change the RenX minimap as it is now to a global view? Pressing '.' restoring the RenX minimap back to local view?

Toggle between local minimap and global minimap? Fuck yes that's an awesome idea. Where do I sign the petition?

• 1 month later...

I'm not saying that minimap should be removed from the game.
I understand that it is very useful tool in various situations.
However I would be very grateful for the option that would allow one to replace minimap with whole map.
Like I said, I don't find myself often in the situations where minimap would be more useful than whole map.
And the "lol just cover your whole vision with a giant map for 2 seconds" is not the most practical solution IMHO.

Or how about like 3 zoom levels?

1) current minimap

2) 50% zoom (=double the distance?), same scaling for unit icons.

3) global (rts/M-map) with blips only.

Which could betoggled with "." For example.

I think compressing the whole map into the radar would also compress the information that can be displayed comprehensively, e.g. all units (infantry and vehicles)  become blips only.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 3:38 PM, j0g32 said:

Or how about like 3 zoom levels?

1) current minimap

2) 50% zoom (=double the distance?), same scaling for unit icons.

3) global (rts/M-map) with blips only.

Which could betoggled with "." For example.

I think compressing the whole map into the radar would also compress the information that can be displayed comprehensively, e.g. all units (infantry and vehicles)  become blips only.

@taishō @yosh56 I still fully support j0g32's idea which effectively make whole thing opt-in. None of the pros that current minimap provides would be lost.

• 8 months later...

I would like to revive this thread because I really believe that having an overview of the whole map at any moment without having to press M would greatly improve player awareness and would hopefully allow people to sort their priorities in game more efficiently.

• Like 1

Whenever somebody or something is Q-spotted the minimap should have an visual ping, either a flash or glow or an radial-pulse (Circle outline which comes from the edge of the minimap border and quickly gets smaller until its a dot - i.e. the enemy just Q-spotted) 

Might be a little more necessary if there is an zoom-function added to minimap

• Like 2

21 hours ago, testman said:

I would argue that minimaps in all C&C games took about the same percentage of the screen (that is what, 10-20% of all pixels that game draws?) and they were completely fine for conveying the information from the whole map.

You mean those games where you're looking at the map with an over-head view anyway? :P

6 hours ago, Marinealver said:

The Tech com center could be called Advanced Com or Tech Com.

- - - Satellite Radio Uplink - - -

Hmm... An capture comm cent. which takes damage and will go offline if at 0%, damage beyond 0% = negative-damage%? That'd be neat. 

Edited by Madkill40

• Totem Arts Staff
On 3/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, Xeon Wraith said:

Rebinding the overview map button to something more easily accessible is a pretty easy way around this. I've personally have mine bound on 'Z', which is why I tend to spam the map constantly in my recordings.

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU SPAM "TERRORIST" THEN!?  

I personally use CAPSLOCK 

• Haha 6

On 3/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, Madkill40 said:

You mean those games where you're looking at the map with an over-head view anyway? :P

Yes, those games. I don't see how that counters the argument that the minimap of whole battlefield provides useful information.

• 3 months later...