Hey all!

I've been working on a new map for quite a while now and I need some community feedback! :D

For those who want to take a closer look at it: CNC-Sand.zip

Special thanks to:

@Henk for letting me use his RepairPad assets ;)

@Ruud033 & @DaKuja for taking a look at the map and finding the first bugs

This time it's a map of mine wich features vehicles xD yay. It's designed to be a fun map and also an attempt to make a map that is actually going to be played on a server. :D

Some of you may remember the good old renegade map "CnC-Sand":

C&C_Sand.jpg

It was infantry only, so I descided to remake the rough design and add extra vehicle paths:

td1.png

td2.png

^note the blocking volumes on the eges of the map (replace them with soft level boundry?)

Got some more screens for you to get the feel of it:

Spoiler

nodtunnel.png

^Nod tunnel entrance

gditunnel.png

^GDI tunnel entrance

center3.png

^Main vehicle route from GDI perspective

center4.png

^Main vehicle route from Nod perspective

center1.png

^This great, fantastic wall was build to protect all of GDI from the toxic tiberium... and we made Nod pay for it; it's ridiculous!

gdi1.png

^GDI base

nod1.png

^Nod base

RepairPad:

I reaaallyyyyyyyy want this "building" to be ingame D: SOOOO EPIC!

Right now it repairs about 18hp per 1.5 sec and gives you 1 point per intervall.

Spoiler

pad1.png

^Added custom Building Interface ;)

pad2.png

^Gets disabled when the airstrip/WF gets destroyed (effects needs more work)

@Ruud033 plans to make new materials (?)

Please keep in mind that this is still a WIP with lots to do and does not reflect a full release ;) ^^

Now my questions:

To expand this map further/balance it a bit more I have thought about a couple scenarios:

prev1.png

1.)

Oddly enough advanced base defences do not attack harvesters. With that in mind, what do you think about adding them (red squares) close to the choke point?

It would keep it free from other vehicles and the battle focuses more on the long vehicle route. And the Zzzap!!! from the obi would become routine *^*

2.)

Expanding the map to the north (pink lines) to open up a new battlefield with more infantry only rocks and a silo at the top.

What do you guys think? :D

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Well, I got no reaction from him yet, but I think you can work on it.

On 10.8.2017 at 9:46 PM, TK0104 said:

But one thing I want to know IF I take over the project: Vehicles, yes or no?

Look on the sucess from Infantry maps. Then look at the shit load of work we invested, to create maps, that are not played. I think it is pretty clear, what you should do, if you want, that your work isn't for nothing.

I would say, you should keep the tanks in, but you can, if the map is finished, remove the strip and WF and make 2 little optimations and ready is CNC-Sand only for Infantry.

Suggestion for only Infantry map: A Refinery without Harvester is a bit weird, replace it with a Team Silo.

• Totem Arts Staff
2 hours ago, Luhrian said:

Suggestion for only Infantry map: A Refinery without Harvester is a bit weird, replace it with a Team Silo.

If theres a Ref and No WF/air, the Harverster just jumps out of the landscape and lands somewhere in the map :P

8 hours ago, TK0104 said:

If theres a Ref and No WF/air, the Harverster just jumps out of the landscape and lands somewhere in the map :P

It spawns at 0,0,0

You can teleport them using the UT teleporter, thats fun haha. You can even sort them by checking for the Nod/GDI vehicle class

• Totem Arts Staff
10 hours ago, Ruud033 said:

It spawns at 0,0,0

You can teleport them using the UT teleporter, thats fun haha. You can even sort them by checking for the Nod/GDI vehicle class

The UT Teleporter isn't in the SDK anymore :/, only a UTTeleporterCustomMesh

• Totem Arts Staff
On 18-8-2017 at 12:58 PM, Madkill40 said:

Is it possible to kismet a harvester drop to a helipad? If it is possible that would be a great prefab for any maps in the future which do not include the WF and/or Strip

I was just thinking like it is on the original Renegade. Harversters spawn in the Refinery Bay (don't know everytime or one time)

But now something else. I said I was going to use the @IllumZar's version and see what I could do. But since the original tunnels system wasn't in the map and it would be a mess to edit the complete map, I decided to make my own version with the original tunnel system in it (Luckly I figured out how to convert maps to an fbx file in time, otherwise it would never happened :)). The map is done (Only AI yet), but the harversters don't know where to spawn if there is no WF/air. @Agent@[CT]Ukill Can you do something do about that in the future? Much appreciated.

Sand_1.thumb.png.d818ffb6640f80fc47dcbbc1eb179056.png

Sand_2.thumb.png.7f63cfe2eb5302475b0b5fdbc03a85e8.png

(Yes, the tunnel system looks like the one in Canyon, but isn't. The same assets are used (Ey every Desert Map uses the same assets), but I NEVER EVER copied something over)

Sand_3.thumb.png.810077d1f7feb70db855b85f57054622.png

Now this is done I won't remake anything for now. Outposts will get another release soon! Don't blame me again for remaking maps, this time people wanted to see more progress on this map)

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff
On 27.1.2017 at 9:23 PM, IllumZar said:

EDIT: found a lot of bugs xD

@TK0104

There are a few bugs in @IllumZar's version, so look and fix what you notice. Sadly I don't have the screens anymore. But a little example: the barrels near and inside of the GDI Refinery need to get blocked, that nobody can get behind. I think Illum placed also 2 big lights at the Nod Harvester unload point. If you don't remove them, you need to add collisions to them, otherwise you can place nukes inside of the lights. When I'm remember me right, there was a bit stuff near the GDI barracks. Take a look on the collisions and block, for example the area behind this shelf, that stuff. Also this little catwalk part has no collisions when I remember me right.

Also the digger near the Hand of Nod has no collisions (or one of them I think there were mutiple of them).

There is landscape inside the aristrip tower.

Move these these blocking stuff near the airstrip a bit back to prevent too easy nukes.

My own tipp:

Place the turrets on the green marked points instead of the red points, so they don't get killed that easy

5997518822b98_CNC-Sandoverview.thumb.png.51599b541579419562be93eeb8fdf8ca.png

P.S: About the airstrip: I think he just placed it so deep, because he wanted to test something, correct me if someone knows that I am wrong.

But well, I'm sure you'll make a good job.

Good luck!

• Totem Arts Staff
1 minute ago, DarkSn4ke said:

T.O. & me would like to see a final Outposts release before you start another mapping project :/

xDxDxDxD

I know I just did this within 5 days and now I'm fully focused on Outposts again

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really wonder why you keep editing maps from others......

• IllumZar is not inactive for that a long period....
  • did you personally ask for permission [he never set this map as "free to use by anyone"]?
  • @TK0104 is making his own remake of the original CNC-Sand - so why editing Illum's version?

• Totem Arts Staff
8 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

I really wonder why you keep editing maps from others......

• IllumZar is not inactive for that a long period....
  • did you personally ask for permission [he never set this map as "free to use by anyone"]?
  • @TK0104 is making his own remake of the original CNC-Sand - so why editing Illum's version?

I think Illum doesn't really care

• Totem Arts Staff
9 hours ago, DarkSn4ke said:

IllumZar is not inactive for that a long period...

I wouldn't say 8 months inactivity are not a long time.

did you personally ask for permission [he never set this map as "free to use by anyone"]?

If he will say, that he is not happy with that what I made, then I'll stop building this map.

@TK0104 is making his own remake of the original CNC-Sand - so why editing Illum's version?

@TK0104 is making an Infantry only version of this map, so I don't see the problem by building a version with tanks.

If there is a problem with the names, I'll rename this map, it isn't the orignial CNC-Sand anymore.

• Totem Arts Staff
33 minutes ago, Luhrian said:

If there is a problem with the names, I'll rename this map, it isn't the orignial CNC-Sand anymore.

My version is called Sand Redux btw so you can keep it or rename to Sand II or Sand X or something else

Edited by TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

So the basic map layout is now done.

Here is a little overview:

Screenshot_(135).thumb.png.0c9a95f055b657efffc56dfd8d842e10.png

I decided to add a new little tank path out of the base. The interesting thing is, that it is leading you behind enemys behind tank in front of your base, so you can flank them easier and it is only a one way path, so the other team can't do much against it.

Screenshot_(136).thumb.png.db14b37c1ccb5631e403d019d13d693f.png

Nod Side

Screenshot_(137).thumb.png.626703aecf2443f77e3abb1e2520c5e9.png

GDI Side

Feel free to post, what you think about that.

• Totem Arts Staff
13 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

R.I.P. Sand

This is not really an answer, which is helping me to improve things, but well.

It isn't Sandwasn't Sand it it wont be Sand later. The original Sand is that what @TK0104 made, not @IllumZar or anybody else.

image.thumb.png.4295a36bc4bab6fdf8ad96b9f3cef89a.png

This is the orignial Sand.

image.png.78e93245fcab93bee7d6997bc2224120.png

This is that what Illum made.

I'm sure you see the differnce.

It was never planned to make Sand, it was planned to make a map that is based on Sand.

So you can't say R.I.P Sand if it never lived in Illum's version.

I hope you understand that we don't want to make something like before, we just take that what is existing and try to make it better.

dat military time though.

NO! this is competition! life is competition you want sand? then make sand and complete sand before anyone else does.  Obviously there is lazy people who aren't willing to keep going forward with their crap, there is people who have busy lives, and there is people.  my point is make, complete, finalize something before someone else does.

Example:  I made the Temple of Nod it is my creation I finalized it and set it in stone.  Unless someone outside can top my model and my ideas.   I think I jumped around here a bit :S

• Like 1

On 30-8-2017 at 10:22 PM, DarkSn4ke said:

then stop posting here and start a new thread?

I do agree on this, honestly I think it'd be better to start a new thread on this and just leave the original sand as is, the map is way out of its original proportion.

Spoiler
On 30-8-2017 at 6:40 PM, Luhrian said:

So the basic map layout is now done.

Here is a little overview:

Screenshot_(135).thumb.png.0c9a95f055b657efffc56dfd8d842e10.png

I decided to add a new little tank path out of the base. The interesting thing is, that it is leading you behind enemys behind tank in front of your base, so you can flank them easier and it is only a one way path, so the other team can't do much against it.

Screenshot_(136).thumb.png.db14b37c1ccb5631e403d019d13d693f.png

Nod Side

Screenshot_(137).thumb.png.626703aecf2443f77e3abb1e2520c5e9.png

GDI Side

Feel free to post, what you think about that.

Open spoiler to see post, trying not to waste screenspace here. I think the map as you (re)made it has lots of potential! I'd just name it to something else. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

For those who wondering when my version of Sand will be released, it's coming at some point!

Everything is finished. The map is already packed up and ready to be uploaded. 

Currently I am waiting on a new patch that supports these kind of maps. (Maps that has a Refinery, but no Vehicle Factory)

I didn't told anyone about this yet. So that's why :)

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Totem Arts Staff

Announcement!

CNC-Sand Redux will be released as soon as Open Beta 5.3 is released. I've tested the Closed Beta with this map and Harversters work completely like in the Original Renegade.

So keep your eyes open for the new Beta! Because you don't want to miss this!

CNC-SandRedux.thumb.png.99c51aa710b5566a70bab64971e30c8f.png

(NOTE: It isn't included as an official map, the map will be posted in the download section)

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1