New Items/Upgrades

Fffreak9999

I have been thinking of more purchasable items or upgrades that could be added to the game.

A couple I have already mentioned in other threads but I am placing them here under a separate category since even if they are dismissed for the purpose that I posted them for, they may still have enough merit to warrant their inclusion.

Please feel free to suggest your own to this list.

Suggestion 1: EMP Anti-Tank Mines

Suggestion 2: Riot Shield (Reduce Light Arms fire damage (Like pistols and assault rifles, Shotguns) (Takes item slot and cant use any weapons while equipped, but Heavy Weapons like Sniper Rifles and PIC/Railgun still do high damage, although maybe not full lethal) - Good for pushing through tunnels (like on Under))

Suggestion 3: Repair Gun Upgrade for Base Engineers (Good for when the Hand/Bar goes down, allowing increased healing rate even when the Tech/Hotwire is no longer available.

Suggestion 4: Under-barrel Grenade launcher to normal soldier rifle upgrade. Think like Patch grenade, but slightly weaker and similar cooldown - maybe slightly longer, or alternatively purchase a rechargeable frag grenade upgrade (takes item slot) for all infantry.

Suggestion 5: Personal Healing Kit - Provides self healing to the unit using the kit as a Heal over time (similar to Heroic status), but a reduced amount compared to the heroic status and does not stack with Heroic and must be out of combat for x seconds before it automatically kicks in and if you are damaged during the healing, it automatically stops. (uses item slot).

Suggestion 6: Caltrops "Grenade" - Thrown at an area creating a "mine-field" like effect where if infantry run over this area, their sprint is disabled for a short time (10 Seconds?), and they take a small damage over time (not much damage, maybe 2-3 points of damage per second for like 5 seconds) - (Mine field effect lasts for 10 seconds?)

Suggestion 7: Similar to the Caltops - Have a vehicle equivalent? 

Will add a few more later when I can think of more.

• Like 1

A lot of those upgrades are too strong for an unlock/upgrade path, and would likely just suck if you tried to scale them down to a personal balanced level. Permanent team-wide unlocks, while cool are generally very strong as it puts a winning team in a win-more situation and reduces the possibility of a come back.

This also makes it more likely that if a building is destroyed the team that lost it will pretty much quit, since the amount you get for a building destruction would fuel a team wide upgrade and then cause a steamroll effect.

At least with the upgrades I have suggested, they are gameplay altering but generally not too powerful in their reach, just altering the current units with a lost on death upgrade that augments gameplay rather than making all new gameplay styles and upsetting unit balance greatly.

17 minutes ago, Fffreak9999 said:

as it puts a winning team in a win-more situation and reduces the possibility of a come back

I think there is still a good chance for comebacks if you watch some Kane's Wrath video commentary at GameReplays.

For example, you need to take down 2 buildings all by yourself in order to afford the Railgun upgrade. Meanwhile, your teammates need to earn credits by other means. However, railgun meds and mammoths are definitely not invincible.

By the way, what about player-driven harvester (1400 credits) that works in the same way as APB?

Edited by Boomer

Just to point out some of the more important things within your statement:

1. This is not Kane's Wrath, where the game is a pure RTS, and you can overpower with sheer force of numbers. A Rail-gun powered Med tank at 5 mins in, backed up by 2 Hotwires will be near unstoppable in the early game, which will lead to a very dominant position for the team with the upgrade.

2. As for a player controller harvester, this I feel will break the game more if you are allowed more than one at any one time. Since the possibility to get credits at significant speed (think Islands or Fort) will break the flow of the game far greater than you expect, especially on large population servers.

If you have only 1 harvester, then what is the difference compared to an AI controlled harvester?

13 hours ago, Fffreak9999 said:

Just to point out some of the more important things within your statement:

1. This is not Kane's Wrath, where the game is a pure RTS, and you can overpower with sheer force of numbers. A Rail-gun powered Med tank at 5 mins in, backed up by 2 Hotwires will be near unstoppable in the early game, which will lead to a very dominant position for the team with the upgrade.

2. As for a player controller harvester, this I feel will break the game more if you are allowed more than one at any one time. Since the possibility to get credits at significant speed (think Islands or Fort) will break the flow of the game far greater than you expect, especially on large population servers.

If you have only 1 harvester, then what is the difference compared to an AI controlled harvester?

I mean the 4000 credits 1-time upgrade that only applies to one player for the rest of the match, not per vehicle upgrade which costs less (that would break balance I think). There is no way that you can get 4000 credits within 5 mins. The only possible way is you destroy 1 building completely by yourself within 5 mins by spending only 350 for 1 hotwire/tech. Meanwhile, your teammates got 0 so they still need 4000 per player to upgrade. Also, Nod has laser capacitor upgrade for light tanks which costs far less (2500 credits). Non-railgun meds can still fight laser LTs with proper repairs, and by the time GDI rolls out railgun meds, Nod should have Tiberium core missiles which hits GDI vehicles harder. Generally speaking, there is a reason why most and major unit prices are exactly the same between RTS and FPS version (except MLRS 1200 -> 450 due to balance with arty (but arty remains at 450), orca/apache 1200 -> 900, chinook 1500 -> 700). It turns out that the pricing system runs just fine.

If a team is completely locked down in base since the beginning, it means that this team just suck and they deserve a lose. Because the upgrades are 1-time, it in fact allows comebacks if a team only makes small mistakes, not suck all the way from the beginning to the end.

In APB, the only one per side AI harv is always free. Player-controlled harv is an addition. APB has high economy maps too but I don't see the balance becomes broken since the player-controlled harv has nearly the price of a mammoth but kind of easy to destroy.

Edited by Boomer

• Totem Arts Staff
On 1/26/2017 at 5:56 AM, Fffreak9999 said:

I have been thinking of more purchasable items or upgrades that could be added to the game.

A couple I have already mentioned in other threads but I am placing them here under a separate category since even if they are dismissed for the purpose that I posted them for, they may still have enough merit to warrant their inclusion.

We need more camping material why? We literally just got this game to have a average match time of 45 minutes.. Not trying to go backward in time. 

Suggestion 2: Riot Shield (Reduce Light Arms fire damage (Like pistols and assault rifles, Shotguns) (Takes item slot and cant use any weapons while equipped, but Heavy Weapons like Sniper Rifles and PIC/Railgun still do high damage, although maybe not full lethal) - Good for pushing through tunnels (like on Under))

Had thought of this before, but would probably require more animating which I'm not putting on anyone. 

Suggestion 3: Repair Gun Upgrade for Base Engineers (Good for when the Hand/Bar goes down, allowing increased healing rate even when the Tech/Hotwire is no longer available.

No.

Suggestion 4: Under-barrel Grenade launcher to normal soldier rifle upgrade. Think like Patch grenade, but slightly weaker and similar cooldown - maybe slightly longer, or alternatively purchase a rechargeable frag grenade upgrade (takes item slot) for all infantry.

Weapon mods are all a no-go. 

Suggestion 5: Personal Healing Kit - Provides self healing to the unit using the kit as a Heal over time (similar to Heroic status), but a reduced amount compared to the heroic status and does not stack with Heroic and must be out of combat for x seconds before it automatically kicks in and if you are damaged during the healing, it automatically stops. (uses item slot).

If it only has limited usage, then yes. Something like the repair gun. 

Suggestion 6: Caltrops "Grenade" - Thrown at an area creating a "mine-field" like effect where if infantry run over this area, their sprint is disabled for a short time (10 Seconds?), and they take a small damage over time (not much damage, maybe 2-3 points of damage per second for like 5 seconds) - (Mine field effect lasts for 10 seconds?)

See 1

See 6 

The only things I'd be really on board with is either a riot shield (But that has to be made which I'm thoroughly against), and maybe the healing kits. 

As an addition, or motion sensors that show enemies on radar in like a 10-20ft radius, sans cloaked units. 

Really wouldn't mind maybe filling out the items menu since the weapon's menu was dropped. More so with utility items than outright weapons. 

• Totem Arts Staff
On 25.1.2017 at 9:56 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

On 25.1.2017 at 9:56 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

I really like these ideas, would be nice to see this in the game

• Totem Arts Staff
On 25.1.2017 at 10:56 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

there was a time you could take engineer and buy auto rifle, i liked that. 

another idea - flash grenade 

also you can do something expensive - building reviver but aside of it's huge price, make it that the building isn't fully recovered but can be destroyed with 3-7 shots of medium tank and this way the team will have to look after that building all the time but it will be functional like creating vecihles and buying characters.

pills that give you speed for a short time. not unregular speed like the flash but more in shape and a bit faster.

enlarge the pistol clip - being able to shoot more bullets of pistol without need to reload.

emergency button - giving you some device that in case of trouble it blow you off to the sky immediately as you click . you choose where to. and it has to be refilled. 

toxic bullets - buying bullets that also are toxic and make the victim slow or shaking making him hard to aim. it go to the pistol only.

1 hour ago, kira said:

there was a time you could take engineer and buy auto rifle, i liked that. 

please no. no more flechette gun technicians or hotties.

another idea - flash grenade 

I feel like this would be a pita to implement and wouldn't even have that many usecases, unfortunately. Although it could /probably/ clean up siege moments in Under's Tunnels and help a bit against the sniper menace. 

also you can do something expensive - building reviver but aside of it's huge price, make it that the building isn't fully recovered but can be destroyed with 3-7 shots of medium tank and this way the team will have to look after that building all the time but it will be functional like creating vecihles and buying characters.

That's just increasing the likelihood of stalemates. Something I'm not really a fan of.

pills that give you speed for a short time. not unregular speed like the flash but more in shape and a bit faster.

Meh. That would make Patch either literally unhitable or simply replaced by other classes. 

enlarge the pistol clip - being able to shoot more bullets of pistol without need to reload.

A general ammo upgrade would sound interesting as long as it takes over the item slot. Like, increase overall clip size by 10-20% or something.

emergency button - giving you some device that in case of trouble it blow you off to the sky immediately as you click . you choose where to. and it has to be refilled. 

Clicking somewhere on the map in panic sounds like something that would get me killed, plus I could just go PIC and jump into the enemy base. 

toxic bullets - buying bullets that also are toxic and make the victim slow or shaking making him hard to aim. it go to the pistol only.

Pistol upgrades don't sound good to me honestly. There's a reason why weak classes only have pistols (e.g. Engies, Techs/Hotties), and Burn Damage is a thing for Patch/McFarland/Gunner/Mobius/Sydney and LCG/SBH/Chem/Mendoza/Raveshaw already. 

• Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff

maybe an purchable upgrade to chem. adding a fourmla to the tiberium liqued of his weapon that make people burn longer of  the tiberum/

also we can have SBH that can mark a spot for airstrikes. 

goshh i want to build mutator and see how it works ! sounds really fun creating something for ren X

4 minutes ago, kira said:

maybe an purchable upgrade to chem. adding a fourmla to the tiberium liqued of his weapon that make people burn longer of  the tiberum/

uhhhhhhh... veterancy? 

also we can have SBH that can mark a spot for airstrikes. 

They already can buy an airstrike marker???

goshh i want to build mutator and see how it works ! sounds really fun creating something for ren X

Haha. Have fun. 

• Totem Arts Staff
9 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

make an OP close combat unit stronger?

*lol*

@DarkSn4ke is totally right. If you do it right you can easily kill a Mobius with a chem. But if you fail -

no problem, it only cost 225$. That is the same thing, that @CampinJeff said in the Hotwire/Technican Nerf.

Just spam these cheap OP chars

Edited by Luhrian

33 minutes ago, DarkSn4ke said:

anyway, CHEM & flametrooper are so OP now. as they dmg health and not armor (chem!!) they can take out 1k chars easily (close combat though)

edit: with 10% inf-dmg boost the dont need the hs multi anyway :P

Moreso because of veterancy increasing their projectile speeds, just look at elite chems/flamers and observe how far they shoot, and if you think that's ridiculous look at them with heroic

2 minutes ago, CampinJeff said:

If you're getting you're ass beat by a flame trooper as mobius then i can't really say anything except aim better

yes, my aim is bad, but I'm talking about the flametrooper point of view. unexperienced players often have no chance against flametroopers ;)

Edited by DarkSn4ke

• Totem Arts Staff
18 hours ago, CampinJeff said:

If you're getting you're ass beat by a flame trooper as mobius then i can't really say anything except aim better

It is easy to kill that flamer with a Mobius, but against 2 or 3 it is very difficult. And if the flamer is surprising you when you reload you are really fucked.

Edited by Luhrian

My personal thoughts..

1. EMP mines: Only for AT infantry. This anti-tank support mines is too special to be given to non-AT classes.
  2. Riot shields: People probably are against this but I kinda wanted riot troopers to have its own class.
  3. Repair gun upgrade: I'm okay if it's not permanent and the upgraded repair beam has a limited "ammo", just for the sake of helping players that had lose their hand of nod/barracks.
  4. Grenade lunch upgrade: I'm in favor of anything that makes the regular guy more versatile as long as it's not overpowered for their free price.
  5. Personal Medikit: Personally, I'm against anything that encourages solo play rather than relying on engineers/other classes.
  6. Caltrops grenade: Make it very expensive or available to certain characters (like chem troopers) because it might be annoying if everybody uses it too frequently.
  7. Caltrops that affects vehicles: Yes, if it's anti-tank infantry classes only.

Wew, some of the stuff said in this thread. I'm only going to be postive here.

On 1/25/2017 at 3:56 PM, Fffreak9999 said:

2. Is OKAY, someone else said though a riot shield character would be cooler.

3. Is fine at around a 2.5-3k price point. Basically dedicated defender will still be able to suffiecently repair buildings and no one else. But really the whole point of killing the Hon/Bar is two things, getting rid of Adv Engi, and getting rid of snipers. So it still is probably best to just not have this as an option.

5. Is neat, like a personal med bay.