My First 3DS Max Mesh!

TK0104

• Totem Arts Staff

So I've recently signed in for a Game Artist Education, so I have to make a portfolio to show some work.

I wanted to give 3DS Max a try because that's one of the programs a game artist uses (Or Maya)

So I've been messing around and figuring stuff out and I came out on a pretty nice column.

Check it out! (With my beautiful name. Why?, because it's possible :) )

Pilaar #1.png

Inside 3DS Max 2017

Pilaar #2.png

LIES! It's UDK! :)

Edited by TK0104
  • Like 1

• Totem Arts Staff
1 hour ago, DaKuja said:

Because good is most of the time not good enough - trust me i feel the pain every week over and over again x)

Well I have to make a portfolio. Current students said you don't have to make a perfect model or something but you need to know how to work with these programs a bit to see if you have the right interests.

Since you get familiarized with the program tools and get a little practice, it's easy to model 3d stuff. I can see that you used some tools to smooth edges of the bases and for geometry on pillar. You'll be great modeller if I could do freestyle sc2 marine, snake-woman, and assault rifle, you can do it better :D

Btw those are some sexy pillars.

Edited by Axesor

About the aforementioned disappointment: One of my project leader acquaintance told me that businesses prefer mediocre people who get shit done on time, over people with brilliant skill sets, but constant delays in their work. Of course there are more to it.

About the column: First, and foremost I'd like to say it does look nice in the Unreal engine, good work! Great test material. However I would advice you to get familiar with columns, because despite a fictional column, as an architectural element, certain rules must to be applied. Teachers will notice and require them (I hope). What do I mean here? Seemingly your column lacks proper capital, because it looks exactly like the basis. And vice versa. Columns follow very strict rules of proportions, like your abacus is way too outsized in regards how small the echinus is, aslo the necking is missing. Columns commonly follow anthropomorphic proportions, and I can feel something is off with the height-width ratio. Plus usually they lean inwards. The fluting is also "wrong". Pardon my constructive criticism, but reading about your focus on env. artist education, I felt important to give you a hint about the importance of basic architectural studies and art history. They come unbelievably handy in your line of work. I mean I can only assume they do, because I am in a different, but not that different line of business.

• 6 months later...

Interesting TK.  KIra says good point too.  you can make anything you can dream of and insert it into this.  I would love to see stuff like this make it into your own maps, and all these crazy ideas.  I am trying with  Maya atm as I'm learning to do new things and figure out what things work best with UDK and so on.  For instance, I reversed geometrical faces on an object in maya and when I imported it into UDK I was able to see inside said object but not see out of.  Very easy thing to do but what can I/someone else use that application for? that's where I'm stumped I have many and no ideas

Guest Gliven

another hint, try not to take criticism as personal attacks. Use those critiques to help improve yourself, but don't let it prevent you from developing/growing in your own way.

Also if you want an honest opinion on something you've made. Ask a child for their opinion. They will be very blunt and wont beat around the bush. They will blurt out their answer before considering your feelings lol.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:17 PM, DaKuja said:

Because good is most of the time not good enough - trust me i feel the pain every week over and over again x)

Yeah if you're doing an actual course which is part of the teaching process to get you in the mind for always looking to improve your work, alternatively if you have a piece of shit asshat who couldn't do half the work the model artist does themselves who they themselves is working off a set of guidelines handed down from someone above who knows less about game design than either of the people below.

But generally with artistic work the artist should always be thinking about ways they can keep improving, thinking about those little details that make each and every model created unique, the only time this is not the case is when everything needs to look the same, to look pristine.

A good example of both pristine and unique models would be the work done in the Portal games, at the beginning you have brand spanking new pieces of wall, floor, doorways etc. which all look the same as is the design, but then when you escape the pristine limits of GLaDOS's rooms and you reach the older areas this is where the uniqueness meets the artistic design of the models as numerous pieces have their own degree of aging (scratches, scrapes, overgrowth etc.) which is where the observer (player) can start to feel a sense of story behind the items either individually or as a collective. All of which comes with constantly improving with the finer details which in turn make each model unique.

So with Thommy's columns ideally you'd have 10 - 20 each showing their age, but the original first and most 'pristine' one would likely require chisel marks and/or indents to make the model seem more realistic before the initial texture is applied, which can only be gained with practice and going back asking yourself "What else can be done?"

As for the OP, this is a very good start so nice work Thommy, I think you've got a good eye for modelling. 

Edited by Madkill40