New Technology Acquired

Xuanne

Hi! I had an idea regarding the silo.

I know that previously the silo would allow the player to purchase new sidearms if in their possession, but that has been removed. I was playing some CnC 3 today and thought why not include unit upgrades as a purchasable option? These upgrades would be tied to the silo and would only function if the silo is in the possession of a team.

These upgrades are purchasable by a player at the purchase terminal and only apply to the characters and vehicles purchased by that player. Once purchased they are active throughout the game but will be disabled if the silo falls out of his/her team's possession.

For example:

Blue Flames (Nod Upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Increases the damage of the Flamethrower and Flame Tank by 50%. The flames now have a blue effect.

Charged Particle Beam (Nod Upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Increases the damage of the LCG and Raveshaw by 50%.

Advanced Stealth Systems (Nod Upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Reduces the detection radius for the Stealth Black Hand and Stealth Tank, and they reenter stealth more quickly.

Tiberium Vinifera Formula (Nod Upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Increases the damage of the Chemical Trooper and Mendoza by 50%. Their projectiles become blue.

Demolitions Expert (Both sides) - 4000 credits

- Reduces the time taken to deploy a superweapon by 25%, and reduces the Timed C4 countdown timer by 10s.

Extended Magazine (Both sides) - 1500 credits

- Increases the magazine size of the Marksman, Deadeye/Black Hand Sniper and Havoc/Sakura by 100%.

Armor Piercing Ammo (Both sides) - 3500 credits

- Increases damage of the Rifleman, Shotgunner, Officer, Buggy/Humvee, APC and both pistols by 50%. Also gives them a slightly higher damage coefficient against armor.

Custom Repair Gun (Both sides) - 2500 credits

- Increases the repair speed and range of the Engineer and Hotwire/Technician repair guns by 50%.

High Explosives (GDI upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Increases the damage of the Grenadier, Gunner, and MRLS by 50%.

Composite Armor (GDI upgrade) - 3000 credits

- Increases the hitpoints of the Medium Tank and the Mammoth Tank by 20%.

Frag Ammo (GDI upgrade) - 2500 credits

- Increases the damage of McFarland and Patch by 50%.

Superconductors (GDI upgrade) - 3500 credits

- Increases the damage of Sydney and Mobius by 40%.

Just throwing out some random ideas. The values stated above are obviously not final, just meant as kind of a gauge. The reason why the upgrade costs are so high is so that one team cannot rush the silo in the early game and get upgrades up and running. However, this will promote more team fights in and around the silo in the middle and late game.

The high costs of the upgrades also makes it unlikely for any player to be able to purchase all of them. This allows players to specialize themselves according to their playstyle. For example, I am usually a defensive/support player, so I would likely go for the Custom Repair Gun upgrade.

The Armor Piercing Ammo upgrade will also allow teams that have lost both production structures to still be able to put their money into getting upgrades for most of their basic units.

Please let me know what you think, and feel free to chip in more ideas too :D

He said that numbers are not even remotely final.

He wants feedback on the idea of per-player permanent upgrades.

I think those ideas are good, but not for current game mode.

If there was a game mode that brought gameplay closer to RTS C&C games, this would be good addition.

But for the current state of the game, those upgrades, even if configured to be balanced, would still provide huge snowball effect on game.

In my opinion, silo or any other tech building on the field, should not provide any permanent effect to player or team.

Right now it seems there's little incentive to take the risk to capture the silo. It occasionally goes back-and-forth but it's eventually forgotten about. What if the silo gave an immediate 100 credits to every member of a team when it's captured?

As for Xuanne's idea, I think 50% buffs are WAY too much. At most 5-10%. I'm concerned that it would take a heck of a lot of code to do this too, time that could be spent elsewhere. Maybe this is the type of thing that would be best done as a mutator or server-side mod rather than in the core game.

He said that numbers are not even remotely final.

He wants feedback on the idea of per-player permanent upgrades.

I think those ideas are good, but not for current game mode.

If there was a game mode that brought gameplay closer to RTS C&C games, this would be good addition.

But for the current state of the game, those upgrades, even if configured to be balanced, would still provide huge snowball effect on game.

In my opinion, silo or any other tech building on the field, should not provide any permanent effect to player or team.

You are somewhat right about the snowball effect, I suppose. But keep in mind that purchasing an upgrade requires a large amount of cash in hand, which will likely make the player unable to afford being careless with his character/vehicle, making him play more conservatively. The upgrades also only stay in effect as long as the player's team controls the silo.

Thanks for your opinion :)

Right now it seems there's little incentive to take the risk to capture the silo. It occasionally goes back-and-forth but it's eventually forgotten about. What if the silo gave an immediate 100 credits to every member of a team when it's captured?

As for Xuanne's idea, I think 50% buffs are WAY too much. At most 5-10%. I'm concerned that it would take a heck of a lot of code to do this too, time that could be spent elsewhere. Maybe this is the type of thing that would be best done as a mutator or server-side mod rather than in the core game.

100 credits to each member sounds interesting, but then there would need to be a cooldown for this cash payout or it could be potentially exploited. I am not a coder so I can't comment on the difficulty of implementing this.

I like the general idea, there are some clever ones, a few OP, but I'd give some sort of requirement for these. Maybe achieving a high rank (connected to the highly anticipated rank system :)) and/or only able to choose one or just taking hold of the silo for 5 minutes without interruption. Would give some extra deepness to the game, but as djlaptop said, this would require a lot of coding.

Em... I don't think it's worh of coding. The outcome is uncertain and may even make gameplay worse. We already have tiberium vehicles=new advanced technology... Give it to us.

This sounds more like pemament Tech tree for exping character... increase fire, bullet, explosion dmg by 5/10/15% or increase flak/kevlar armor by 3/6/9% etc..

I like the general idea, there are some clever ones, a few OP, but I'd give some sort of requirement for these. Maybe achieving a high rank (connected to the highly anticipated rank system :)) and/or only able to choose one or just taking hold of the silo for 5 minutes without interruption. Would give some extra deepness to the game, but as djlaptop said, this would require a lot of coding.

Thanks, but I don't think tying this to the rank system is good though. Because this would make things worse in the event that teams randomly become stacked at the beginning of a round.

I also don't think that a limitation on the number of purchasable upgrades is needed due to their prohibitively high cost. Requiring a timer on the silo is an interesting idea, but maybe put it at 1 or 2 minutes instead of 5 minutes :P

Em... I don't think it's worh of coding. The outcome is uncertain and may even make gameplay worse. We already have tiberium vehicles=new advanced technology... Give it to us.

This sounds more like pemament Tech tree for exping character... increase fire, bullet, explosion dmg by 5/10/15% or increase flak/kevlar armor by 3/6/9% etc..

I agree allowing us to buy TS vehicles would be nice...

Maybe then my proposed upgrade idea could be simplified to what you suggest for infantry. Good idea.

I like the idea of upgrades! The implementation would be interesting to figure out. Do you upgrade individual units? Do you upgrade your team based on points that individual people on the team accrue? Personally I'd rather see upgrades that help the team because that encourages better teamwork/gameplay.

I like the idea of upgrades! The implementation would be interesting to figure out. Do you upgrade individual units? Do you upgrade your team based on points that individual people on the team accrue? Personally I'd rather see upgrades that help the team because that encourages better teamwork/gameplay.

My original idea is that each upgrade upgrades certain characters/vehicles depending on faction, and some upgrades can be bought by both factions. They apply to the player who bought them only, and cost credits from that player.

The idea was so that each player could purchase upgrades to further their own playstyle or upgrade their favorite units. Team implementation could potentially be another way to do it, but might be more difficult since it would require more people to actually pool resources and buy it (you know how it is in pub matches :P)