Obelisk should not attack aircraft units

zocom7

Well it happened to me in one new map under patch 5.003, the new map CNC-Eyes. That is totally unfair because Obelisks shouldn't be attacking aircraft units.

This tactic reminds me of Tiberium Alliances where ground-only defenses can still attack aircraft and thus break the rules of the game.

Please fix this in the next patch.

Nope! This totally works as intended!

When in Line-of-sight of an automated base-defense, it shoots you when you are in range!

Please check out original renegade online gameplay! (Particularly City-Flying) There you will see the obelisk shooting down aircraft!

You are right though, than in the RTS automated base defenses do not fire flying units (with the exception of SAM sites)

There is nothing to fix, you have to adjust your tactics to this feature

In c&c tiberian dawn, the only base defenses that shot at air units, are the GDI advanced guard tower ( shot 2 missiles) and the Nod SAM site.

And the only units to shoot at air were:

GDI: rocket soldier, MLRS, Mammoth Tank and the gun boat. Orcas could engage in air to air combat if the unit was targeted before take off.

Nod: rocket soldier, recon bike, stealth tank, (Nod got MLRS in multi player only)

In the original Renegade, anything could engage air units, though I believe the reasoning behind making the primary base defenses shoot air units as well as making ramjets effective against air units was because a lack of time to implement rocket/ missile tracking

• Totem Arts Staff

All that being said...Obelisk is still gonna shoot aircraft. Technically, according to Renegade's tutorial, the AGTs advantage over the Obelisk is its ability to fire on aircraft... But that went out the window when we got aircraft hastily slapped in with no SAM sites or the like.

Aircraft already have enough advantages, and a lack of counters (less so since 5003), so having high tier base defenses kill them really just keeps them on a more level playing field with ground vehicles. On top of that, in most situations on a map like Eyes, you can avoid the Obelisk fairly easily. Walked more than enough Trannies through Nod's front door.

Obelisk is the best orca killer there is, it must tottaly stay, in fact a agt and ob on lakeside, walls, and whiteout would be great. :cool:

No offense, but the ideas I see you pitch all the time are mostly ridiculous.

lol

But allright. It might not be wise to add advanced base defences to maps like these. Think about an obelisk or AGT in Lakeside, it would zap you to hell at double the range you would be able to shoot him with an Arty or MRLS... nope.

Obelisk is the best orca killer there is, it must tottaly stay, in fact a agt and ob on lakeside, walls, and whiteout would be great. :cool:

There is only 1 map in the entire game that has flying and base defenses, before eyes their was none. That is what was ridiculous and so are you :P . BTW whiteout, ALA hourglass had base defenses in the original ren.

Obelisk had AA capabilities in C&C Renegade, which is what Renegade X is based on.

Bringing up C&CTD is just silly.

No, it's not silly, Renegade X is based on c&c Renegade, which is based on c&c tiberian dawn.

And I'll say again, the only reason why the obelisk shoots at air units and why ramjets were so effective against air units, was due to Westwood's lack of time to implement rocket/missile tracking in their rush to get the air patch out... It's also why, air units spawn from the wf/as and not from helipads which were omitted

There is only 1 map in the entire game that has flying and base defenses, before eyes their was none. That is what was ridiculous and so are you :P . BTW whiteout, ALA hourglass had base defenses in the original ren.

And hourglass was one of the worst maps to ever come to Renegade. Plus, somebody is already doing a remake of it.

• Totem Arts Staff

And hourglass was one of the worst maps to ever come to Renegade. Plus, somebody is already doing a remake of it.

Couldn't disagree more.

I played Hourglass more than any other Renegade map.

It's a very well known fact that Hourglass was one of the most universally hated maps in Renegade. !voteskipmap (Or whatever it was) generally went up within the first few seconds/minutes if the server allowed it. If not, you just watched the server population decline for awhile. Your PERSONAL experience doesn't mean a thing.

On topic..... the Obelisk is going to shoot at aircraft... forever probably.

Couldn't disagree more.

It's a very well known fact that Hourglass was one of the most universally hated maps in Renegade. !voteskipmap (Or whatever it was) generally went up within the first few seconds/minutes if the server allowed it. If not, you just watched the server population decline for awhile. Your PERSONAL experience doesn't mean a thing.

Wasn't the main reason for Hourglass's hate because we eventually realised that if you were on GDI you could just hide out of sight with an MRLS facing rear to the hill and launch rockets at the obelisk in complete out-of-sight safety? (The battery on the back of the MRLS couldn't rotate in original Ren)

And any nod attempting to attack the MRLS on the GDI side of the hill were met with AGT hostility.

Considering the MRLS battery isn't in a fixed or otherwise stuck position in Renegade-X this is actually impossible to do.

I still found Hourglass to be a fun map because if rockets were launching, it only meant that Flame Tanks were to come rushing. (From both sides)

Couldn't disagree more.

Well excuse me for saying I like it.

Whatever.

Jeez, all this discussion about Hourglass. Let me end this discussion right here.

Allright, let's get this clarified. The original Hourglass was one of the most camp-friendly maps there is. This applies more to Nod than GDI. Nod's obelisk is much taller than the AGT, so high it actually was higher than the hill itself, meaning any GDI vehicle making it all the way to the top would got zapped. Nod however could easily climb to the leveled top of the hill, drive to the other side of this top and still not get shot by the AGT. this gave Nod an unfair advantage because

a) their technicians would not get shredded once they made it to the top to repair,

b) Nod arts and light tanks were able to safely shoot more buildings than GDI could whereas Medium tanks had to very cleverly had to make use of 2 small rock formations on the top of the hill to prevent getting zapped,

c) Stanks had the perfect firing arc to randomly shoot it's missiles to the GDI side of the hill while being safe on the other side of the hill, and

d) flame tanks could take all the time they need to shred assaulting MRLS because the AGT was simply so bad at destroying vehicles.

The sides didn't even support GDI as much either. Nod could easily attack the enemy base with an early-game APC rush while a GDI apc would barely make it to the Nod obelisk before getting zapped twice and getting killed.

Stanks could be lurking at the sides aswell in the late-game, waiting to attack that weakened Med that is about to fall back for repairs that couldn't repair himself because SBHs could steal their vehicle. The biggest disadvantage of the Nod obelisk could also not be utilized because the Nod base was so far away from the tunnel entrance there was no possible way to sneak in single-handedly by foot without harv-walking. Even if you did harv-walk, the turrets would shoot you, revealing your position.

This would eventually lead to massive Nod domination in public games, especially in smaller games. 20v20 Hourglass was actually one of the best maps to play imo because many of GDI's disadvantages could be mitigated by their massive armour advantage and big numbers.

This is Renegade X. Simply complaining because it didn't work in C&C Renegade is complete nonsense. This is a spiritual successor, not a remake, and this is how maps in Renegade X should be handled. they can be CHANGED, for the better. I hope i managed to shut everyone's big mouth here because i completely proved your right and wrong in every perspective. And please don't throw random numbers at me because for a fact i still play the original and have actually read discussions about changing the map in the original and how it worked or not. Get creative instead of b*tching.

Obelisk had AA capabilities in C&C Renegade, which is what Renegade X is based on.

No, it's not silly, Renegade X is based on c&c Renegade, which is based on c&c tiberian dawn.

And I'll say again, the only reason why the obelisk shoots at air units and why ramjets were so effective against air units, was due to Westwood's lack of time to implement rocket/missile tracking in their rush to get the air patch out... It's also why, air units spawn from the wf/as and not from helipads which were omitted

Since C&C2 units are being added. We've already strayed away from the game vision that was C&C Renegade.

Is there just no way to create helipads and SAM sites?

• Totem Arts Staff

Since C&C2 units are being added. We've already strayed away from the game vision that was C&C Renegade.

Is there just no way to create helipads and SAM sites?

Umm, SAM sites definitely already exist o.O