Building occupants damage inside buildings

Handepsilon

• Totem Arts Staff

Not sure if intended, but apparently you can damage people inside the building with Flame Tank usually. This happened usually when Nod is winning, when I'm inside any buildings repairing the MCT. I believe this is good to counter stalemates where Hotties or Techies are stuck repairing buildings to actually do something

Here's where things get funny. Today an artillery bombarded the WF in Field. For some random reason it managed to kill me inside the WF around the MCT. Usually this doesn't happen although it's quite logical for occupants to get damaged, but by game logic this seemed like a glitch since this is a one time thing.

Is this intentional?

Not sure if intended, but apparently you can damage people inside the building with Flame Tank usually. This happened usually when Nod is winning, when I'm inside any buildings repairing the MCT. I believe this is good to counter stalemates where Hotties or Techies are stuck repairing buildings to actually do something

Here's where things get funny. Today an artillery bombarded the WF in Field. For some random reason it managed to kill me inside the WF around the MCT. Usually this doesn't happen although it's quite logical for occupants to get damaged, but by game logic this seemed like a glitch since this is a one time thing.

Is this intentional?

I don't believe it's intentional but this was part of the original renegade's design. It made people focus fire on that area near the MCT to force the engineers to stop repairing and refill.

Where at the MCT did you stand? Near the back entrance? Because an open door might be the cause of an artillery being able to fire inside the WF thus killing you.

I'm usually focussing my fire on the doors just so I can splash the infantry inside when they are stupid enough to keep the doors opened.

• Totem Arts Staff
I don't believe it's intentional but this was part of the original renegade's design. It made people focus fire on that area near the MCT to force the engineers to stop repairing and refill.

Where at the MCT did you stand? Near the back entrance? Because an open door might be the cause of an artillery being able to fire inside the WF thus killing you.

I'm usually focussing my fire on the doors just so I can splash the infantry inside when they are stupid enough to keep the doors opened.

Not really... the door seemed to be closed but probably I'm pretty close to it. I'm about 2 feet away MCT

What about the flame though? You know how far the barracks' MCT is from the door...

Not really... the door seemed to be closed but probably I'm pretty close to it. I'm about 2 feet away MCT

What about the flame though? You know how far the barracks' MCT is from the door...

The walls on the barracks are pretty thin, so the turrets on the flame tank are able to stick through the building model. There was likely a flame tank behind the barracks that was killing you.

Normally when you do this with other tanks, the game will prevent you from firing.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems relevant, and I was actually wondering about this. When you are using a Flame Tank against the Barracks, is it possible for the flames to actually hit the Master Control Terminal and do double damage? It doesn't seem like an impossibility. A Flame Tank rush against the Barracks is already an overwhelmingly difficult situation for GDI due to where Engineers need to stand.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gliven

Flame tanks can shoot through the barracks back wall, if flame tank is right up against.

Also C4 can damage/kill through the same spot. I managed to kill engies/hotties repairing by throwing remote C4 on wall behind barracks.

This has been an issue in a few matches now that we have the refill delay. There is no recourse for a hotwire repairing the barracks MCT from a flame rush behind the bar (on Walls, XMountain, etc). They either die, or let their building die. Perhaps that's by design.

No it isent. Other tanks like medtank have special code to prevent you from firing when you stick the barrel through a wall. The flametank actually has that code aswell but it doesent work as good with it cause of the shape of the flametank and its kind of short barrels. Whats missing yet is to carefully tweak this code for the flametank.

Because that would feel clunky. Especially like around the AGT and in general in tight bases. Dont need to make tank rushes more problematic. Not being able to swipe your barrel from one side to the other through a building could potentially make it pretty frustrating and can make you a sitting duck. So we are doing it like old ren did with preventing you from firing.