New Tech Buildings+Ideas?

boxes

I'm not sure if this was officially addressed already, but will there be any new tech buildings in future updates? I was thinking of a couple things, probably not the best ideas, but it's something:

Silo as we know increases credit rate and gives infantry access to Tiberium weaponry.

Armory:

Give all infantry the ability to replenish health and armor when hurt, rate by percentage of total hp.

Slowly replenishes infantry ammunition, rate by percentage of total ammo.

Probably good to put this at a place where vehicles cannot cover it, so teams without wf/strip can maintain it.

I thought of this so infantry stalemates could be broken and comebacks without wf/strip will be easier.

Auto-shop:

Increases total vehicle hp by 15%. When capped, vehicles need to be repaired instead of instantly regaining health. If lost and your vehicle has the increase in hp already, then extra hp will be decreased to the default.

Same idea as the Armory, but vehicle stalemates don't really happen, and vehicle comebacks are already pretty common.

Power station:

Decreases costs of everything except items by 20%, turns on base defenses if power plant is destroyed. If power plant is still functioning, then it will boost the effectiveness of base defenses (such as higher rate of fire).

Mainly so the OB/AGT won't be sitting turds anymore.

Gun/Cannon/SAM towers:

Same function as the Nod/GDI ones, but not as powerful. Damaging it enough will cause it to go to neutral, and when neutral it doesn't shoot at anything. When up close and it belongs to the opposing team, it will be unable to shoot at you, giving engineers a chance to recap.

Pretty dumb idea at first, but capturing these can give your team better map control.

Any cool things that you guys can think of? Or comments?

• Totem Arts Staff

Gun/Cannon/SAM towers:

Same function as the Nod/GDI ones, but not as powerful. Damaging it enough will cause it to go to neutral, and when neutral it doesn't shoot at anything. When up close and it belongs to the opposing team, it will be unable to shoot at you, giving engineers a chance to recap.

Pretty dumb idea at first, but capturing these can give your team better map control.

Any cool things that you guys can think of? Or comments?

That's the only good one I see

To be honest, these all appear to be /really/ overpowered, to the point where they'd basically decide which team wins the game. I wouldn't be opposed to something that gave very slow autohealing, or slightly higher ROF, or a bit more armor, but it shouldn't be something that would win the entire game. The thing with silos is, even if the enemy team has it, you can still win. You'll be at a disadvantage, sure, but it won't decide the entire game.

The neutral defenses seem pretty cool, but where would you put them? In front of bases? Well, they're not so neutral then, are they? In the middle, overlooking a silo/other tech structure? That'd make it all too easy to just roll out and make it impossible for the enemy to make a comeback.

What I would like to see at some point in the future is Forgotten hubs, where teams can buy their loyalty. You'd be able to get special classes that heal in Tiberium and ghetto (But effective!) vehicles, a la the C&C 3 mods The Forgotten and Tiberium Essence. They'd obviously be more expensive than regular troops, though, and you'd have to be able to hold their hub.

I'm not sure what their vehicles would be like thematically, though. In the later games, they utilized outdated military equipment and converted civilian vehicles. For instance, in The Forgotten, their MBT was the Nod Tick Tank, with a few upgrades. If they were to be put into Renegade X, what would they use? Old, upgraded Heavy Tanks, V2 rockets and Shock Troopers? Hell, maybe Tanya or Volkov are members, now...

I'd love to see more tech structures, as the game is getting a bit stale as it stands. But they need to be properly balanced, and not be game winners in and of themselves.

Edited by Guest

To be honest, these all appear to be /really/ overpowered, to the point where they'd basically decide which team wins the game. I wouldn't be opposed to something that gave very slow autohealing, or slightly higher ROF, or a bit more armor, but it shouldn't be something that would win the entire game. The thing with silos is, even if the enemy team has it, you can still win. You'll be at a disadvantage, sure, but it won't decide the entire game.

The neutral defenses seem pretty cool, but where would you put them? In front of bases? Well, they're not so neutral then, are they? In the middle, overlooking a silo/other tech structure? That'd make it all too easy to just roll out and make it impossible for the enemy to make a comeback.

What I would like to see at some point in the future is Forgotten hubs, where teams can buy their loyalty. You'd be able to get special classes that heal in Tiberium and ghetto (But effective!) vehicles, a la the C&C 3 mods The Forgotten and Tiberium Essence. They'd obviously be more expensive than regular troops, though, and you'd have to be able to hold their hub.

I'm not sure what their vehicles would be like thematically, though. In the later games, they utilized outdated military equipment and converted civilian vehicles. For instance, in The Forgotten, their MBT was the Nod Tick Tank, with a few upgrades. If they were to be put into Renegade X, what would they use? Old Heavy Tanks, V2 rockets and Shock Troopers? Hell, maybe Tanya or Volkov are members, now...

I'd love to see more tech structures, as the game is getting a bit stale as it stands. But they need to be properly balanced, and not be game winners in and of themselves.

As for the auto heals and ammo regen, the armory should be balanced in a way that acquiring it will only a team a slight advantage in infantry where it won't be game-breaking as you said. Note that destroying hon/bar would make this rather useless, unlike the silo which is always beneficial no matter what the circumstances are. It's maybe possible to even split this in two different tech structures, but I think that would be too much trouble for the cause.

I'm just sick of how stalematey the game becomes when it becomes a hon vs bar match. Crates don't really do enough. There should at least be something else that would help cause one team to have some sort of bigger advantage when not camping the base with techs/hotties--such as capturing and maintaining a tech structure that gives benefits to infantry.

I honestly don't care that much about any tech structure giving vehicle benefits. I sort of threw that in there.

Neutral defenses would probably be placed around the middle of some maps. For example, in lakeside, you know the river in the infantry path that goes into the tiberium tunnel and then out into the open area+hill? Probably around there. They should also be isolated, and put at a place where artys/MRLS can outrange it (or else there would be silly spamming going on). Definitely not anywhere where you can see it from your base. Obviously this should only work somewhat with the large maps.

The forgotten stuff you mentioned sounds pretty interesting. I'm just uncertain if the developers are willing to create brand new models, textures, sound, etc for all the characters/vehicles/weapons from a tech structure, knowing their focus right now being bug fixes, map releases, etc. It would be great though seeing a tech structure that only gives access to a bunch of new additional items and weapons, as the UI right now has a lot more space for new stuff in these sections.

Actually, in the Renegade X We Did It video, I just noticed that in the 1:42 mark, there are EMP grenades and anti-tank mines along with the message Requires Armory.

Darn, why didn't I see it earlier.

I dont think that this forgotten tech building will ever see the light. It's way to much work to do so and it doesnt fit the tiberian dawn era anyway.

I'm still for the idea with the capturable crashed nod cargo plane that gives "underpowerd" recon bikes.

- fast

- cheap

- good Anti-air

- bad at everything else

- maybe limit to 3 bikes on map/per team?

I dont think that this forgotten tech building will ever see the light. It's way to much work to do so and it doesnt fit the tiberian dawn era anyway.

I'm still for the idea with the capturable crashed nod cargo plane that gives "underpowerd" recon bikes.

- fast

- cheap

- good Anti-air

- bad at everything else

I always wanted to see the recon bike in Renegade X too, and I think this method of acquiring it sounds pretty nice.

I would set the HP at 175, same price as a buggy, and weapon wise it should function similarly to a stealth tank, but with a 1 rocket per reload. And of course, it should be really fast, and maybe you should be able to see your character in third person mode riding it!

I don't think it should get its own vehicle count though. It should stick with the normal team count.

• Totem Arts Staff

- fast

- cheap

- good Anti-air

- bad at everything else

I always wanted to see the recon bike in Renegade X too, and I think this method of acquiring it sounds pretty nice.

I would set the HP at 175, same price as a buggy, and weapon wise it should function similarly to a stealth tank, but with a 1 rocket per reload. And of course, it should be really fast, and maybe you should be able to see your character in third person mode riding it!

I don't think it should get its own vehicle count though. It should stick with the normal team count.

I think this would be a good "spice" for a future map.

Yeah, I meant that it should add to the normal vehicle count, inclusive an extra count for the recon bike only.

Similar to the Mommoth Mk II in Tiberian sun.

The thing is, if it's map based then all players want to have one. And the team with only bikes will probaly be stomped pretty hard.

Yeah, I meant that it should add to the normal vehicle count, inclusive an extra count for the recon bike only.

Similar to the Mommoth Mk II in Tiberian sun.

The thing is, if it's map based then all players want to have one. And the team with only bikes will probaly be stomped pretty hard.

Typically, whenever a new item/vehicle/character/whatever is released, it's only like that for about a week. Everyone wants to use it because of the high of novelty. But after a bit, they learn how to effectively use it, and integrate it into their overall strategy.

I actually like these ideas. But the thing people neglect to consider when talking about tech buildings isn't the function of the building but the literal placement of the structure on the map.

For example, on a map like field, the silo is placed right in the middle of the main battlefield. That means the team who controls the battlefield also controls the silo.

It's fine to have powerful tech buildings, but they can't be placed in such a way that automatically gives benefit to the winning team. They need to be placed way off the beaten path so people have to go out of their way to capture and defend them.

That causes the battles in the game to be spread out and creates new strategic objectives for each team to achieve besides destroying the enemy base.

However, that being said, you absolutely cannot place a strong tech building right in the middle of the fray and expect it to have a positive effect on the gameplay. You also cannot place it in an easily defensible location, like behind one team's base.

The further away you place it from the main area of action, the stronger you can make the building's usefulness. Because the further it is away, the longer it will take to reinforce. Therefore requiring teams to specifically send people out there to defend it.

Yeah with techbuildings there come issues like where to put them in our mostly already cramped maps etc. That's one of the reasons why we will mist likely start go focus more on new game modes then on adding new things to C & mode.

Having the space to place it isn't really the issue. It's how easily that space is accessed by either team. Even though City is a large map, the center of the map is highly contested. You put a tech building in there and you basically just made winning the game easier... just control the field and you get the attacking advantage.

That's not a good way to place tech buildings. If you wanted a tech building on City, a new area of the city would have to be opened up that the tech building would reside in. It would have to be a location in which players would not travel to if their intended destination was the enemy's base. You have to force the player to decide between attacking the enemy base or attacking/defending a tech building. You can't let players do both in one go... because it has adverse effects on the gameplay.

Not quite a tech building... but i wonder if we could use: A repair point where you can roll up your vehicle for repairs without the need of another player. It would be nice if you were defending your base.

Did this exist in some earlier version or am i thinking of another game?

• Totem Arts Staff

Not Canyon, it was Glacier.

I'm still for an earlier suggestion on the forums about there being tech structures in infantry-only paths. That way tunnel wars would have a bit more impact, though as of right now they do matter. That, and a structure in the tunnels of like Whiteout or Field would be easily accessed by either side already. Even make Field tech buildings more impactful to infantry, and tunnel tech buildings impact vehicles more; that way a team would actually need to hold both to have an all around advantage, as opposed to the silo right now that gives a full advantage while only needing field control to do so.

I agree that techbuildings should be placed away from the main area of action and that they should not be in the center of a map or near a base like on lakeside. But there are different oppinions aobut that in the dev team so thats just my personal one. Though the issue is also that the techbuilding is that big so that you dont have many options where to place it in a map. Because of that we atleast discussed the option to have a techbuilding that is just a terminal so that you could basically place it anywhere. But im not sure if we will do something in that department or just leave techbuildings behind alltogether. We will see.

In regards to Field specifically, I had been nursing an idea for a tech building. I had thought there could be a tech building to help break a seige. The basic idea is an EMP cannon.

How would it work? On Field, for example, there would be two small consoles. One in the underground tunnels, and one on the field. The one in the tunnel charges the EMP, the one on the field fires it. Once the one in the tunnels is captured there would be a "charge up" time for the console on the field. For the sake of argument, let's say 30 seconds. Once fully charged, there would be a window of time the EMP could be targeted via the console on the field. Let's say 45 seconds. At the end of that time period, if not targeted, the EMP would simply target the field. The targeting console would allow the EMP to be targeted at any place on the map. After targeting there would be 15 second delay. After firing, the EMP cannon would go on a 2 minute cool down. During cool down, neither console can be captured.

What would the EMP effect be?

It would disable vehicle movement (they could still shoot) and shut down power to a single structure for 15 seconds.

The problem I see with this is that it would make the whole map

just about controlling the EMP.

Secondly, I fear it would marginalize vehicle play too much.