Still alive and kicking!

JeepRubi

Hey there Renegade-X fans! It's been awhile since our last update.

While I can't say things have been moving fast, they have indeed been moving. I'm happy to announce that we're in the process of ramping up to a Beta 3 release within the next few weeks! We have a pretty substantial changelist, and we hope it will address many of the major crashes that have been plaguing Renegade-X up to now. Keep in mind, this will still be a Beta release, and we realize it's far from perfect ;). We don't have an exact ETA yet, but we're working hard to get it out to all of you to play and test as soon as we can!

Check out the preliminary changelist here!

If you took the time to read through the whole changelist, you may have noticed an interesting item:

- Replaced old java launcher with a brand-new WPF launcher. Pretty UI, update checks, community banners and more!

That's right, we've developed a shiny new launcher!

LauncherPreview.png

While the launcher will be included in the Beta 3 release, we thought you might be getting a little impatient, so you can download the new launcher right here, right now.

That's all for now folks, but keep an eye on our website for the Beta 3 release!

I'm excited about all the additions and changes (slight skepticism on the "armor piercing" bullets), quite a few good fixes and balance changes, on paper at least. Overall, I love the weapon changes.

Can you elaborate on the updated reticles? Did you add "dots" in the middle?

New launcher looks great.

I hope you still plan on a Steam release down the road. All we'll need once the beta is polished enough is to bring players back and we'll be in our golden age once again.

Another question about the log. When you say:

Spread increase, max spread, and base spread reduced.

Do you mean, in that case, that the "spread increase" (through continuous fire) was "reduced"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=73945&p=140549#p140549

Development is going slow and unreliable. But by now you already know that. I didnt do anything for beta 3 so i played my part in the delay. But i had my reasons and have a life to live aswell. Renegade-X doesent own me or any other of the devs. I plan to help again for Beta 4 though and id like to bring in more community feedback, especially for new gamemodes. You can expect a thread about new gamemodes in the comming days.

Yeah probably, was just trying to find the first link that got the "yeah it already exists, it's called C&C Renegade" point across :-P

-___- you want inputs on game modes, that's one suggestion. There are hundreds of old renegade players that would be eager to play a prettier stock ren with new maps. If you aren't open to player input, you'll never get anywhere with this project.

-___- you want inputs on game modes, that's one suggestion. There are hundreds of old renegade players that would be eager to play a prettier stock ren with new maps. If you aren't open to player input, you'll never get anywhere with this project.

Well, if you ask me they are already pretty damn far with this project.

We all want super cool, new and frequent improvements like pay2play games do. But thats the point, the developers do all this stuff for free and therefor the possibilities are very limited. You just can't make everything at once.

Maybe in the very distant future.

But I digress again.~ :P

Trying to exactly recreate old C&C mode would kinda feel like going back. And we would rather feel like moving forward, trying out new grounds. Fresh ideas is so much more fun to work on then just to copy something. And we need to have some fun in order to motivate us. Thats the only thing we can hope to get back from this project anyway. Also trying to make a stock ren mode would be like going into a minefield. Players would always find something different, thus something to complain about.

And we need to have some fun in order to motivate us. Thats the only thing we can hope to get back from this project anyway.

How about the core-communities eternal gratitude and love for the re-creation of an old-time game? Or, the fun of playing the (a) game you've personally helped designing?

I don't think 'fun' just is not true in terms of rewards :P

Nah it's not going backwards, it's just choosing different features of the game. RenX in itself is a huge step forwards. The game is absolutely beautiful and that's definitely it's best feature. I imagine the coding is all there, it'd be mostly minor tweaks. I'm just saying, it could easily quadruple the player count, which is good for everyone! It would just be a different game mode, just as death match, ctf or infantry only could be.

How about the core-communities eternal gratitude and love for the re-creation of an old-time game? Or, the fun of playing the (a) game you've personally helped designing?

Ok yeah. Didnt mean to exclude the community in that. Of course its nice aswell if some people appreciate what you do. Seeing people making youtube vids about it etc is always a highlight. But still: It is a shitload of work trying to make this and if you dont have fun working on it then it is just not worth it and you would find noone to do it. We work our dayjobs 8 or more hours a day and then you dont want to get home to continue work on something that you dont have fun with. I wanted to quit on Ren-X completely after Beta 2 cause i felt it wasent worth it anymore and took a 6 months break. Only cause we found another programer with Kil i was able to do that without feeling too bad about it. So kudos to him! Without him beta 3 might have never seen the light of day (its still not quite here but its in final testing atm). But i decided to come back to see if there is some more fun to be found in this. I think we have a lot of art assets and lots of diverse characters that could be fitted into other gamemodes without too much work. also i used my brake to actually play some other games aswell, where i gathered some ideas. Maybe new gamemodes are a wrong idea. Maybe nobody would want to play like a conquest inspired mode in Ren-X. But i think we would regret if we dont try. And we certainly would never find out if we dont try.

But anyway: Certainly huge thanks to anyone who is still here supporting us!

Hi devs, I just made an account for this. Please do not give up! In the beginning, when all you guys had completed was that single player mission, all I could think was "Shut up and take my money!". Later, it was found out, you weren't allowed to accept any money because EA had the rights, etc... etc... My friends and I all support your work (which is amazing) and hope you continue. Since we cannot contribute financially, just list some ways we could help out (I'm sure there are lots of people in this community who would love to help in any way possible). Thank you devs!

-acernine

Guys, don't let the project die. I understand that there are a lot of completed maps (C&C volcano, complex) to be released. Focus on getting all the old maps remade and in the game first, if you could please! I've been waiting for some more classic maps to play on with the beautiful new engine. You have a great core game here, just fix the bugs and tweaks and just get those maps in.

Guys, don't let the project die. I understand that there are a lot of completed maps (C&C volcano, complex) to be released. Focus on getting all the old maps remade and in the game first, if you could please! I've been waiting for some more classic maps to play on with the beautiful new engine. You have a great core game here, just fix the bugs and tweaks and just get those maps in.

I think it involves a bit more than "just" doing it.

Look at Kenz3001's Volcano project, how many hours of FREE time has he spend into it? 50? 60? 100 hours? Only he knows, but it sure is more than we THINK it takes.

The crashes weren't "just" an issue that can be "just" fixed ... I hear Beta 3 resolves a lot of crashing issues, but from what I gathered, the cause was stumbled upon when a Dev saw a trend in his testing behaviour and the crashing. Not to speak of the fix. It doesn't sound like "just a fix" to me.

Remember, the project was born in 2005 as an UT mod. From 2005 until now, thats how much time has been spend in this game! Don't forget that!

• Totem Arts Staff

I think it involves a bit more than "just" doing it.

Look at Kenz3001's Volcano project, how many hours of FREE time has he spend into it? 50? 60? 100 hours? Only he knows, but it sure is more than we THINK it takes.

The crashes weren't "just" an issue that can be "just" fixed ... I hear Beta 3 resolves a lot of crashing issues, but from what I gathered, the cause was stumbled upon when a Dev saw a trend in his testing behaviour and the crashing. Not to speak of the fix. It doesn't sound like "just a fix" to me.

Remember, the project was born in 2005 as an UT mod. From 2005 until now, thats how much time has been spend in this game! Don't forget that!

there are only 2 maps that haven't been remade but there will be 3 new ones lakeside, gold rush and Xmountin

yes volcano took a long time .. i didnt keep a time card so i dont know how long ... but if you add up the time stamps on the videos and tripple it ya still wont be close lol but at long last its done ... expect a fly thought soon how soon well is this soon enuff ? >>>

but yer work is still going on in the back ground as always ... if you dont hear from the team usaly means we are all hard at work :P

Hi developers and everyone else reading. Just wanted to mention that I absolutely love Renegade-X and I am looking forward to beta 3. Having that said I wanted to ask something. I've posted this in game to a dev. a few times and I nodded about it ingame many times.

I can't understand the lack of communication about progress sometimes. I completely understand everyone is doing this voluntarily and that time is short, but I really think that a small post every now and than can lead to more involvement of the players, more appreciation for the developers and thus a better game. If I run into a problem I would probably not have put it on the forum a few months ago, cause I didn't get the feeling it was closely followed. That might be my perception, but I guess a lot of people will have this attitude.

Posting updates takes time, but how difficult would it be to recruit some extra volunteers to do this? I think the community can help out a lot.

Few example:

- Not sure how bugs are tracked atm, but allow someone access to a buglog / codetracker and let him / her write an update every few weeks to keep thinks going.

- Allow people to test problems and document them using video and post them on the forum. I know everyone can, but how hard would it be to find a few dedicated volunteers to join in this?

- Assign a few people to answer forum questions

And so on...

A lot of people will be more than happy to participate. Keep up the good work!

I can only speak for myself but im pretty sure that most of the devs are not active in the forums cause it is indeed a lot of work to read and to think about everything that has been posted. Especially a few months back during releasetime it was impossible to keep up with what was beeing posted. I have no problem admitting that i gave up on trying to follow the posts shortly after release. Also if a dev posts there is a chance that people will take your words and turn them arround or in other ways drag you into a bad discussion that can cost you a lot of energy and distracts you from actually working on the game. Right now it is more managable again so that i try to find some time atm to post here. Normally you would need communitymanagers and stuff like that for this. There are reasons why devs should not really post on a forum and should focus on their tasks instead. But Ren-X has no community managers or something like that. I agree that it would most likely be wise to change that and to recruit people from the community to do that. But this rases the question what people to trust etc. But imho it is something we should consider and should be open for ideas on how to recruit people to become community managers, forum mods etc. if the game wants to succeed as a multiplayergame this is a must, i agree on that.

If necessary I can help out answering questions, not sure if that's a community manager. Been running a website and it's volunteers for 6 years. I answer the mails we receive with press releases and I arrange for the information to get in the right place. This can be a press release on the website, or an interview request to someone doing this. Over a year we have over a few thousand request which we handle. Not sure how this varies from running a game community, but... Let me know, always happy to think out loud.

I can only speak for myself but im pretty sure that most of the devs are not active in the forums...

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Community manangers and mods would be a great addition to help out.

To me, nothing makes it feel like a project/game is dying out more than dead forums and no updates on the website. Between beta 2 and beta 3 there were periods of complete silence about what was going on. I think this is pretty discouraging to a community. It isn't the dev's job to post on the forums, but it does encourage the community. I know I always look forward to any orange colored posts. Perhaps this is where community managers and mods could help out.

I'm sure you would find people who would volunteer to fill these roles and help out however they can. I myself don't have any useful skills for development, but would love to help the project out.

Honestly, I think the best thing would be for people to answer questions that get asked a million times. (Will Ren X be put up on Steam? When is Beta 3 coming out? When is SBH/McFartland getting nerfed?) This would remove the need for an official position while also taking a bit of load off of dev's backs.

• Totem Arts Staff

Will Ren-X come on Steam? >> We definitely want to get it out on steam but communication with EA on the issue is very slow and tedious. We want to make sure we don't shoot ourselves in the foot by simply releasing on Steam and then finding out EA isn't happy about it maybe pulling it or worse.

Beta 3 ? We had a lot of problems assembling the build for beta 3 but we finally managed something like 7 working builds in quick succession. It works, but there's some new content and fixes in there getting tweaked as we speak.

SBH / Mcfarland nerf I think is covered somewhat in Beta 3 as well as a host of other balance changes. But I'm not 100% sure on that so someone else can come in here and tell you that.

-There's more fixes for SBH coming in Beta 4 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this game and despite the crashing, Ive enjoyed playing it every single day after Ive come from work and finished everything else I need to do. Sometimes I crashed 5 times before I could successfully join a match and others did too.

This project will never die, it must live on!

Out of all of the games Ive played so far, there is something about this one and the remake that I can't quite put my finger on, it's so much fun and it looks great too. I can't wait for Beta 3 to be released and I'm more excited about this Beta release than I have been form some commercial AA titles.

You guys have done an amazing job and I can't thank you enough. Please never give up on this, even Westwood are praising this one, such honour.