Something I would like to see

Rapture

Right now it seems there are just the right amount of people who play that sometimes a server is maxed out and another server has only a few players. Who wants to play in a server with 5 or 6 others or sometimes fewer? 

Often when I get a chance to play and have to wait for an opening in the server, I wish there was a secondary server where it had no vehicles, no winning or losing and only snipers. Just a map that allows us to use snipers only and have to move around looking for the other snipers. Just to pass some time when the main server is full.

Maybe there arent enough people who would join that. I dont know. Just something I thought would be fun.

• Totem Arts Staff
5 hours ago, Rapture said:

Often when I get a chance to play and have to wait for an opening in the server, I wish there was a secondary server where it had no vehicles, no winning or losing and only snipers. Just a map that allows us to use snipers only and have to move around looking for the other snipers. Just to pass some time when the main server is full.

Such a gamemode exists, and is (was before the patch) being hosted by CT NA I believe? It's essentially old ren sniping servers, if you ever played that.

Yeah, I dont understand half of what you said to be honest.  lol I use to play this game 25 or 30 years ago when we had to use discs. But I never tried different stuff or servers if there were any. 

If there is a wish list thread for ideas for the game, can someone post a link? If not, I had another idea of something I would like to see. Currently you can buy a repair tool. In that same place I would like to add something like SBH GOGGLES. Make them expensive. 1,000 or even 2,000 but when you switch to them, they will let you see SBH for 10 seconds then they all become invisible again. For that ten seconds, you can play as normal. Use weapons and drive tanks and such but you can just see them for ten seconds. Then maybe make it a one to three minute pause of time before they can be used again. 

I think that most who are buying tanks and such will never bother with these. It will be the snipers who could use them to make sure they are not sneaking up on their backs now and then. While playing a sniper, your attention is focused so much on other snipers when the server is full. I just think that would even those odds out a little. It will also make it so even the SBH will need to be constantly moving and hide behind things more so they dont get shot.

Just a thought I had.

• Totem Arts Staff
On 12/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, Rapture said:

image.png.c93bcd2c9c067b01a3c77003fdb5e4c6.png

Ahh, I see.  I somehow was blind enough to not see the server that said [CT] Snipers. Sadly nobody is in there and the other server is full right now.  Kind of hard to play a sniper against nobody. lol

Which leads me to another idea I had.

Whether there is 40 players in a server or 64, the games can still be very good. I noticed however that when times are slow, there are 6 to 20 players going. At high action times, there are 64 to 70 in the servers listed. Allowing 64 per server makes it so one server fills up and leaves too few to get any decent game going in another server. Again, maybe this was already considered and its just a thought, but what if the servers were changed to only allow 40 max? A game of 20 vs 20 is a good game still. Maybe better than 34 vs 34 because on some maps that seems to cause too much of a bottleneck. Yet that would allow a second server to have 14 vs 14 to 20 vs 20 and everyone always gets in the action. 

It seems to me that if during high times, if someone cant get on, they would not want to waste their time and move on to another game entirely. I dont personally have other games I play and am a very patient person so I wait. But the current format seems to me would hurt this game from growing instead of helping it grow. At least that is how it seems to my limited knowledge of these things.

Edited by Rapture
  • Like 2

• Totem Arts Staff

It was a thing in Beta 3, but sadly :

1. People still keeps flocking into the full server and leaves the other empty.
2. People thinks 20 v 20 is too small.

I'd welcome it, but others had expressed disdain on the idea, despite 64 not being ideal with performance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the past when the player count for a server is lowered this doesn't seem to enable population of a second server, different players have their minimums it would seem and won't join unless their personal minimum is met sometimes, is all I can conclude

There's definitely more than 70 active players, I've seen 64/64 and 23/64 at the same time last Saturday, the players are definitely there. 

Curious if timed matches might become a thing again, in the past the biggest issue with timed servers was a lack of in-game notification reminding players how much time was left before the match was over which is quite vital for a timed server. A timed game of an hour per match would definitely push games in their alt-traditional 'All-Out-War' style again and opens the game up more to people who may or may not be fed up of a 2-3 hour game that not everyone will see the end to. Players just need an in-game 15, 10 and 5 minute notification if Timed Matches are to become something. [Currently, they just abruptly end which is awkward and frustrating all things considered]