What happened to North American server?

t00n3d

one can only hope...   I believe that an active N.Am serer is the litmus test of this game.   When this game snags/attracts a group of American time zone  gamers - who keep the servers busy during the down times the servers currently see...  Then we will have a game that is truly exciting and active.

I see no reason why this game could not be tailored to fit this.

Edited by isupreme

Edit: a mod IP banned me for this post criticizing toxicity by Coolaid. No warning, no DM.

Not having a NA server is killing the game and discouraging me from playing. I like full teams, 64 players.  it's too frustrating to play with only 10 on a team because of campers, beacon spammers, and issues that haven't been fixed for small teams.

1. Ive noticed that there is only 1 time of day that the EU server has full players. But then it takes 15 minutes wait to get in because it's so full.
  2. Since I only like playing on big teams, and only EU gets full - I'm forced to play on EU which means 200 ping.
  3. This is bad because players like Coolaid constantly mock players' skill and trash talks his own team (the rule about not being toxic is ignored). People PM and say my aim sucks. Why? Because of my high ping. I constantly glitch in 2 different places (on my screen only). But they don't care, they have good ping and it goes to their ego.
  4. Because the server is full and only active at one time of day, the regulars are extra toxic with off topic vote spamming.
  5. As soon as EU starts going to bed, the server is killed - 10 on a team then 5. Then the base camping starts, so I quit (because no matter how good you are, it's annoying trying to do everything as 1 class - base defense and offense, or rushing home to disarm beacons because not all maps have base defenses).
  6. Devs keep nerfing Nod, makes many maps or any with tunnels - 1 sided = not fun to play.
  7. I've gone to other forums and tried to recruit NA players. But they don't like high ping either, and for the reasons above, they may be pushed away too.

So what happened to the NA server?

And besides my reasons, why are there not as many NA players at least trying to play during our prime time (when there was an NA server)? I don't understand what happened to everyone.

Edited by mouse705
to inform about retalation by mod
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mouse705 said:

Edit: a mod IP banned me for this post criticizing toxicity by Coolaid. No warning, no DM.

As far as I'm aware, you haven't been banned from anything, nor would you ever be banned for anything that's currently in your post. Can you please clarify what makes you believe you've been banned, and where? If it's on these forums, my only thought is maybe you happen to share an IP address with an old spam bot or something, since there's only 4 human users banned on these forums.

Edit: Skimming through logs, nobody's been banned anywhere in the last 24 hours. If you're getting a ban message anywhere, it's almost certainly a false positive. If that's the case, can you send me a screenshot of the ban message and the IP address you're using via a PM so I can try to take a closer look / narrow down the cause?

Thanks,
Agent

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 8:03 PM, t00n3d said:

Is the North American server ever coming back up?

There were plans to bring an NA server back up some months ago, but I think it might have gotten lost in the noise. Options are being discussed for an NA game server again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mouse705 said:

Not having a NA server is killing the game and discouraging me from playing. I like full teams, 64 players.  it's too frustrating to play with only 10 on a team because of campers, beacon spammers, and issues that haven't been fixed for small teams.

1. Ive noticed that there is only 1 time of day that the EU server has full players. But then it takes 15 minutes wait to get in because it's so full.
  2. Since I only like playing on big teams, and only EU gets full - I'm forced to play on EU which means 200 ping.
  3. This is bad because players like Coolaid constantly mock players' skill and trash talks his own team (the rule about not being toxic is ignored). People PM and say my aim sucks. Why? Because of my high ping. I constantly glitch in 2 different places (on my screen only). But they don't care, they have good ping and it goes to their ego.
  4. Because the server is full and only active at one time of day, the regulars are extra toxic with off topic vote spamming.
  5. As soon as EU starts going to bed, the server is killed - 10 on a team then 5. Then the base camping starts, so I quit (because no matter how good you are, it's annoying trying to do everything as 1 class - base defense and offense, or rushing home to disarm beacons because not all maps have base defenses).
  6. Devs keep nerfing Nod, makes many maps or any with tunnels - 1 sided = not fun to play.
  7. I've gone to other forums and tried to recruit NA players. But they don't like high ping either, and for the reasons above, they may be pushed away too.

So what happened to the NA server?

And besides my reasons, why are there not as many NA players at least trying to play during our prime time (when there was an NA server)? I don't understand what happened to everyone.

There have been multiple NA servers that have been set up in the course of the past year and they just don't get filled up, though I bet we can get more people on EU prime time atleast if people bother filling up a second server instead of queuing up for the filled one

• Like 1

There were some times when the NA server was busy.  

For awhile It was great of some servers to try and switch from EU to NA during the appropriate times.    During that time, when the  EU server was not dominating and absorbing all the NA players - we actually had some good NA games.     - so ofc some EU players were not happy about the server being NA..   

ya cant win for losing eh?

I agree, I also think there needs to be an official North American server, I'm an EU player from Britain and I usually like to play from around 8 or 9 pm GMT, but often by this point the main EU server will be full and I rarely have the patience to sit around refreshing the server list so I normally only play in some of the weekend PUGs that I can pre-join. I don't think there's as much confidence in the none official servers, people not willing to seed and there's no sort of queue or lobby to see how many frustrated people are also waiting who could be forming another game server. In the past, some people loved Marathon and were determined to keep going no matter what, as well as people like myself who were happy with a max 1 hour / 45 minute game time and lots of maps and this seemed to encourage a server splitting of sorts. When the EU server naturally died off I would occasionally enjoy playing in the American server and seeing who's who in the Ren community, even if my ping wasn't as spectacular.

22 hours ago, mouse705 said:
  1. This is bad because players like Coolaid constantly mock players' skill and trash talks his own team (the rule about not being toxic is ignored). People PM and say my aim sucks. Why? Because of my high ping. I constantly glitch in 2 different places (on my screen only). But they don't care, they have good ping and it goes to their ego.

No this I do only sometimes. Actually to get people aware they arent playing as a team. You know the solo sniper who doesnt make much kills and doesn't spot for his tyeammates, the sbh who does nothing in field, not even spotting. As much as it might surprise you, i see many times improvements when players start thinking again about that needs to be dona in the team vs what they want to do. I rarely personally call names of people that play bad publicly. I don't know what your nickname is ingame. If i did do it one time to you. Well, sorry but you might want to improve if possible. Maybe you take things a little too personal. Yes i do state facts when all newbs/noobs are one one side of the team somehow, wether it be coincidence or active stacking. Yes, i do keep track of who is kinda new or noobish or what players are generally experienced and good. And also who the good sneakers are. Unfortunatly many games i can predict what side will win the game just by looking at the player names.

As an EU player from Netherlands, i have played on NA server and i never complained about ping (ususally 140-160 ping). It doesnt make my aim bad. Also this ping doesnt hurt the tactics i use to beat the enemy. I dont know if any higher ping like 200 will be unplayable but i see good tank players with the higher pings.

Roweboat is an NA player and I don't consider his aim/playing bad on EU server in any way.

Edited by CoolAid

6 hours ago, CoolAid said:

No this I do only sometimes. Actually to get people aware they arent playing as a team.

At this time I am not going to detail what you did multiple times (documented with screenshots), because then you'll know who is complaining. And I've seen you vote to kick out your own teammates for things they didn't do. What I have seen you say to me and others, was not related to teamwork. You were making fun of them for being new - without any feedback or correction - only mockery.

I have seen many examples; but I've also seen you are a Commander many times, to help the team. (I have no problem with you telling someone how to do something better, or what not to do.) That is why I have remained silent (to not get an effective player removed).

However recently you used a glitch and got toxic (again) against players that you think are new. Another player even joined to mock those who complained about your use of a glitch - to personally insult on my aim which had nothing to do with the issue (I.e. it was one of your friends, or your prior toxicity has made others bolder to do the same).

This is related to high ping = someone can appear to have bad aim regardless of skill. I'm actually a better player, and sometimes get scores higher than you. But my high ping is a handicap, thus I am suppressed.

As for "yeah i used to 180-200 ping and its absolutely no problem."

That is someone else's opinion and does not negate the facts that I described: My location glitches in two different places when my ping is that high. This means if I am a Tech and think I am behind a tank while repairing - but I am not according to the server - then I get headshotted because I didn't know that I was no longer behind the moving tank (on my screen I was behind the tank, thus didn't know which way to correct my position). This is one example of bad Pin effect, Aim is another. These are reasons to reactivate the NA server.

15 hours ago, Agent said:

There were plans to bring an NA server back up some months ago, but I think it might have gotten lost in the noise. Options are being discussed for an NA game server again.

Are there high costs associated with running these servers? (I don't know what bandwidth and hardware tier (professional or home server) is needed to host this game. In my UT days, server companies charged a lot.)

Thus if there is a high cost and NA was taken down due to lack of use -  if NA was reactivated - perhaps a mod could post a time for NA players to meet (thus the population would fill and the investment worth it). Anyways thanks for whoever pays for the server resources.

"At this time I am not going to detail what you did multiple times (documented with screenshots), because then you'll know who is complaining."
I don't know for what reasons you are documenting this? There is a big difference between complaining and toxicity. Having been in toxic workplaces myself i know the difference very well. I do have the right to complain, even when i'm a commander. You don't see me do it every game, but when i see alot of decent players only playing half the game or not teamworking at all then a shoutout can sometimes work.

"And I've seen you vote to kick out your own teammates for things they didn't do." Actually i only vote kick people out if there is a reason for it. I'm certain i probably made a mistake somewhere sometime. I can say i never vote kicked people for performing bad, only for staying AFK half the match or not gaining more that 7 points in 15 minutes. Those people just joined to AFk and watch netflix or something. Some i suspected to be spy accounts. I do know that sometimes someone seems to cheat that way unfortunatly.

"your use of a glitch" what glitch are you refering about? The last time i used a glitch was like 6 month ago, and that got patched (nuke beacon in tiberium field crystals to nuke harvester). And if you count smoke spam on beacons, it got patched. All my recent beacons where very disarmable, and no mod contacted me about anything. Yes, i have some good beacon spots, I learned from others. Combined with smoke and another distraction beacon that did really work out well because it was so perfect. But people could easily disarmed the beacon if they didn't panic or get confused by the beacon setup (yes the beacon light was visible and beacon was disarmable as i know from previous failures). Then you get like 10 players in GDI telling me that the beacon was not disarmable... and no i didn't get toxic of that. I told the mod to investigate the demo. Never heared anything since from a mod.

Also stating that we have lots of newbs or noobs in the team compared to the other team isn't "making fun of" or toxic behaviour, im just stating the facts as they are or my opinion. I think your definition of toxic differs from me.

If someone mines like shit, i tell him sometimes personally in public. I don't say that the player is shit, the mining-job just isnt sufficiently safe. Even if it's a good player or mod. Sometimes the reason is "lazy or no one else mined", but fixing mines is a pain in the ass. Sometimes people want to learn and come to fix the job and i gladly tech them how to do it better. The problem is mostly time, the commander doesn't have much time for teaching or the player isn't willing to fix or improve anything.

This is about an NA server and not about personal sensitivities that you probably best discuss via PM.

In an emergency, you could also ask a mod to act as a moderator.

I'm not a mod, but this writing is really annoying now. You haven't been in kindergarten anymore.

These personal dispute are already running in other game forums (attribution etc.) under naming and shaming. Would have already given a warning point in other games.

So relax and write about an NA server.

a nice day all

Something seems to have changed with this NA server recently.

I use a 150 mb sky broadband connection and yesterday the NA server was very laggy and I kept discconnecting and reconnecting and then eventually disconnecting entirely from server. In the end i just gave up. Noticed it for a couple of days now. My ping used to be around 40-60 but now hovers around the 80 mark. I already optimized PC, clearing temp directories/space/ using SG TCP Optimizer which fixed a problem i was once having crashing on the purchase terminals.

If any other game behaved like this it would be in my bin by now. :)

Update: Today I:

Reinstalled Ren X, optimized my ssd, cleared out the temp directories and ran ccleaner.

Played a full server on Reservoir, which gave probs yesterday, and lag was completly gone. Same server, EU. Hope this helps anyone who gets laggy/disconnecting probs.

Edited by BeLlSiBuB

On 4/7/2021 at 10:23 PM, roweboat said:

All I can say when EU peeps complain about having to play at high ping on a NA server...

Untitled.png

As an Indian man who gets crap ping on both, its a lose lose. gg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2