Please detail how map options are presented.

isupreme

I remain highly curious how this game selects maps for us to vote on.     I have seen some things fly by in forums, but I don't have even the basics down yet.

In particular:

How does server population figure in.   i.e.   What maps are presented to 64 players, and what is presented to less - especially Very Small Populations.

How does a map being selected affect subsequent availability?       How long until it is available again.

What is the standard procedure for the Official server and in what ways can other servers alter this?     # of choices, etc.

Of course I am going to use all this to further my arguments in support of maps for small populations, but try to ignore that and help me learn the mechanics if you feel inclined.    Thanks.

• Totem Arts Staff

All of these are server side settings, and the official server runs with the defaultsettings. That means you can read your own clients configs to see what the server is running.

If the playercount is in the threshhold, it will be in the pool for map list.

Spoiler

MapName Minimum Max

Walls 0 64
Oasis 0 30
Tomb 0 50
Whiteout 0 56
Islands 0 64
Under 0 56
Mesa 0 50
Canyon 0 32
Volcano 0 32
Field 0 40
Lakeside 0 64
GoldRush 0 64
Complex 0 40
Snow 0 30
Xmountain 0 64
Crash_Site 32 64
Reservoir 0 64
Snow_X 0 40
Storm 20 64
Arctic_Stronghold 32 64
Hourglass 20 64
Field_X 20 64
Eyes 50 64
Uphill 20 64
Desolation 30 64
CliffSide 20 64
Outposts 50 64
Tunnels 30 64
Daybreak 30 64
Steppe 30 64
Islands_X 0 64
Forest 30 64
BH-Walls 0 64
BH-Daybreak 30 64
BH-Field 0 40
BH-Snow 0 30
BH-Lakeside 0 64
BH-GrassyKnoll 0 64
BH-Tomb 0 50
BH-Under 0 56
BH-Steppe 30 64
Fort 0 50

The amount of maps showing up in the vote list is a server setting, MaxMapVoteSize=5 is the default.

The most recently played maps to exclude is RecentMapsToExclude=4.

These settings are all in UDKGame\Config\DefaultRenegadeX.ini. If you want to change them on a server, edit UDKRenegadeX.ini, NOT Default one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for information!    More questions ofc.....

I count 42 maps.    Of those 9 are NvN      and 33 are standard.

To me,   having 1/4 of all maps as NvN seems like too much....  but that is my dislike of NvN showing.   I can appreciate now that some players like NvN.   But I see the vast majority of players choose standard map options when they are suitable. 

If players are always choosing Regular maps.. does it make the NvN maps more likely to come up?   

I ask because sometimes it seems this way.   At night when the crowds have thinned -and we are only given 5 choices and 2 of them are NvN  and a vote to change the map gives us 2 more NvN......  This means only 3  options for the most popular format.   If the best maps have just been played then we get only three leftovers...

• Totem Arts Staff
52 minutes ago, isupreme said:

Thanks for information!    More questions ofc.....

I count 42 maps.    Of those 9 are NvN      and 33 are standard.

To me,   having 1/4 of all maps as NvN seems like too much....  but that is my dislike of NvN showing.   I can appreciate now that some players like NvN.   But I see the vast majority of players choose standard map options when they are suitable. 

If players are always choosing Regular maps.. does it make the NvN maps more likely to come up?   

I ask because sometimes it seems this way.   At night when the crowds have thinned -and we are only given 5 choices and 2 of them are NvN  and a vote to change the map gives us 2 more NvN......  This means only 3  options for the most popular format.   If the best maps have just been played then we get only three leftovers...

No. My post contains all of the factors that goes into selecting maps.